• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's next Featured Auction Has Started Posting Books
17 17

1,670 posts in this topic

On 11/30/2022 at 1:26 PM, C. Spaulding said:
On 11/30/2022 at 12:52 PM, Courageous Cat said:

hard to believe its going so low. last GPA 3000.00 for 1.0 and classic cover IMO...but what do I know

I’d be surprised if this copy doesn’t run close to 10k before it’s all said and done. The glue may dissuade some buyers but it’s a tough book.

Not quite up to the $10K mark, but it did take a shot as it closed up at $7,900 and like you stated, the glue probably did keep the price down a bit:  (thumbsu

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dsuperworld%2Bcomics%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1622653&id=1622653&itemType=0

00011591560000114101136001_TH.jpg

On 12/1/2022 at 7:23 AM, C. Spaulding said:

I was watching a few of the books that had reserves and what you can see on the site now might be a misleading because you can no longer see the bid history. What I saw with a couple of books, this one included, was a bunch of initial bids that weren’t anywhere near the reserve. Then several days before the auction close all the reserve lots that hadn’t been met had one additional bid added that was right below the reserve amount. I’m guessing this is the way CLink exposes reserves to see if there are any takers. This appears to be what happened but I could be off base.

Yeah, totally don't care much for the way that CL handles their lots that have a Reserve price set on them.  :p

Can't remember now and also can't go back to check since they've not only remove the bid history, but also the entire lot from this Featured Auction listing.  Not sure, but I don't believe they are quite as opened to let bidders know about the reserve, whereas some of the other auction platforms clearly state that "The Reserve Has Not Been Met" when they set the bid one increment below the reserve price.  hm

On 12/2/2022 at 7:37 AM, Professor K said:

Thanks. I've wanted this one for a long time. One of Flessels best covers. 

Fantastic pickup of an absolutely gorgeous book and like you, clearly one of Flessel's top superhero covers out there, if not the best.  :luhv:

Big congrats to you and very well done!!!  :applause:

On 11/28/2022 at 6:25 PM, Forbush-Man said:

I'm glad about that, I didn't originally plan to be this close to Christmas when I first set out my plan.  This auction I have books closing just about each night for the next 7 days. It's not stressing me out, but I do hope to hit a certain level when its all said and done. :wishluck:

With how strong some of these HTF GA books did in both this week's CL and HA Fox auctions, hope that you did managed to hit your target level with your Centuars.  :wishluck:

On 12/2/2022 at 10:31 AM, lou_fine said:

With how strong some of these HTF GA books did in both this week's CL and HA Fox auctions, hope that you did managed to hit your target level with your Centuars.  :wishluck:

Thank you!  I am very happy with where I am at this point, still have items ending this evening, Monday & Tuesday too.  I think my biggest surprise was that the 1st appearance of the arrow was eclipsed by the cover of Funny Pages V4 #1.  That one surprised me.  

On 12/2/2022 at 5:34 PM, Forbush-Man said:

Thank you!  I am very happy with where I am at this point, still have items ending this evening, Monday & Tuesday too.  I think my biggest surprise was that the 1st appearance of the arrow was eclipsed by the cover of Funny Pages V4 #1.  That one surprised me.  

That one looked bright in colors and not seen often another tough book (thumbsu

On 12/2/2022 at 2:34 PM, Forbush-Man said:

How close were you to completing a run of all Centaurs?  It looked like you got most of the tough issues.

On 12/2/2022 at 4:04 PM, RareHighGrade said:

How close were you to completing a run of all Centaurs?  It looked like you got most of the tough issues.

I believe I was around 55-60% of the way there.  I remember passing 50%, but it slowed down there.  I was thinking about back then, it was spotty finding a Centaur most anytime, but finding them in the wild now must be pretty tough. 

Thank you!  I am very happy with where I am at this point, still have items ending this evening, Monday & Tuesday too.

Yep, hard for me to figure out the order for the CL Auctions as they sometimes separate them by the various ages with alpha order and sometimes not, as it truly seems to be a bit of a mish mash sometimes. :frustrated:

I think my biggest surprise was that the 1st appearance of the arrow was eclipsed by the cover of Funny Pages V4 #1.  That one surprised me.  

With the CGC slabs imprisoning all of the books so that you can see only the covers, it's really more about the covers than anything else nowadays. :frown:

As such, the super hero covers and adventure covers along with the specialty covers like PCH and GGA will always take precedence over the humor covers.  Not surprisingly then, keys books with humor covers like this Funny Pages V2 #10 with the first appearance of the Arrow and others such as Ace Comics 11 with the first appearance of the Phantom tend to be underappreciated and have not performed as well on a relative percentage basis when compared to some of their more in-demand later classic cover issues.  :(

Not sure if I am in the minority or majority here, but if everything else is equal such as condition grade and overall visual appearance, I would personally take the FP V2#10 over the FP V4#1 eight days a week.  Especially given the fact that although both of these issues have pretty much the same census count at 14 and 15 copies respectively, the FP V2#10 issue is clearly much tougher to find in grade with the highest being a single 8.0 graded copy with the next highest being a CGC 6.5 copy and most copies actually being in CGC 4.0 or lower, while the FP V4#1 have 4 copies slabbed in CGC 8.0 and above and only 1 copy slabbed lower than CGC 4.0.  hm  

Of course, with both of these copies in this auction here, it is clear that not everything is equal in terms of both condition grade (i.e. CGC 5.5 for the FP V4#1 vs. a CGC 4.0 for the FP V2#10) or overall cover appearance (i.e. FP V2#10 cover appears relatively more faded):  :p

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fdefault.asp%3FFocused%3D1%26x%3D36%26y%3D13%26pg%3D33%23Item_1615484&id=1615484&itemType=0#detail

00178021540000114099962004_TH.jpg

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fdefault.asp%3FFocused%3D1%26x%3D36%26y%3D13%26pg%3D33%23Item_1623329&id=1623329&itemType=0

00022061655000114100564002_TH.jpg

Then again, not sure if that would be enough to explain the price difference between the FP V2#10 at $3,200 as compared to the FP V4#1 at the substantially higher price point of $5,699.  (shrug)

On 12/2/2022 at 8:15 PM, lou_fine said:

Yep, hard for me to figure out the order for the CL Auctions as they sometimes separate them by the various ages with alpha order and sometimes not, as it truly seems to be a bit of a mish mash sometimes. :frustrated:

With the CGC slabs imprisoning all of the books so that you can see only the covers, it's really more about the covers than anything else nowadays. :frown:

As such, the super hero covers and adventure covers along with the specialty covers like PCH and GGA will always take precedence over the humor covers.  Not surprisingly then, keys books with humor covers like this Funny Pages V2 #10 with the first appearance of the Arrow and others such as Ace Comics 11 with the first appearance of the Phantom tend to be underappreciated and have not performed as well on a relative percentage basis when compared to some of their more in-demand later classic cover issues.  :(

Not sure if I am in the minority or majority here, but if everything else is equal such as condition grade and overall visual appearance, I would personally take the FP V2#10 over the FP V4#1 eight days a week.  Especially given the fact that although both of these issues have pretty much the same census count at 14 and 15 copies respectively, the FP V2#10 issue is clearly much tougher to find in grade with the highest being a single 8.0 graded copy with the next highest being a CGC 6.5 copy and most copies actually being in CGC 4.0 or lower, while the FP V4#1 have 4 copies slabbed in CGC 8.0 and above and only 1 copy slabbed lower than CGC 4.0.  hm  

Of course, with both of these copies in this auction here, it is clear that not everything is equal in terms of both condition grade (i.e. CGC 5.5 for the FP V4#1 vs. a CGC 4.0 for the FP V2#10) or overall cover appearance (i.e. FP V2#10 cover appears relatively more faded):  :p

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fdefault.asp%3FFocused%3D1%26x%3D36%26y%3D13%26pg%3D33%23Item_1615484&id=1615484&itemType=0#detail

00178021540000114099962004_TH.jpg

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fdefault.asp%3FFocused%3D1%26x%3D36%26y%3D13%26pg%3D33%23Item_1623329&id=1623329&itemType=0

00022061655000114100564002_TH.jpg

Then again, not sure if that would be enough to explain the price difference between the FP V2#10 at $3,200 as compared to the FP V4#1 at the substantially higher price point of $5,699.  (shrug)

Exactly.  I could see them ending even, but to pull ahead of the first appearance took me by surprise.  The cover on V4 #1 is a well drafted cover, I really liked that one (I also really appreciated my two last 2 Airman covers from Keen Detective; thought those were exceptional covers for their time.) 

Edited by Forbush-Man

On 12/2/2022 at 11:24 PM, Forbush-Man said:

The cover on V4 #1 is a well drafted cover,

This.  Harold Delay's art and scene are reminiscent of Howard Pyle's classic Robin Hood paintings.  Even the logo is better.

On 12/2/2022 at 11:24 PM, Forbush-Man said:

Exactly.  I could see them ending even, but to pull ahead of the first appearance took me by surprise.  The cover on V4 #1 is a well drafted cover, I really liked that one (I also really appreciated my two last 2 Airman covers from Keen Detective; thought those were exceptional covers for their time.) 

I got outbid on the #1. Came in 4th or 5th, hoping for a miracle I guess. It did very well. To me the best Arrow cover by far. Actually one of my favorite early GA cover of all. It's perfect.

Edited by Professor K

A couple of my pre-code horror/crime books I’m letting go in the Jan. auction and just back from CGC. Was super happy with the grades!

Especially that Suspense 18. Not a book up for sale very often, and certainly not in mid grade.

F2348DCB-07FA-4BE6-B1D1-2DDC7C8815E7.jpeg

89F51078-C6AE-42D4-9197-0A9376536992.jpeg

Edited by LDarkseid1

Just FYI to all the Centaur & Pre-Centaur collectors out there, I have a few stragglers that are up for auction in the current Comiclink Focused Auction.  These are the ones that didn't make it back from CGC in time for the last auction. Just 10 books in all, with 3 being non-Centaur. The auction started last night. 

Blackhawk #133 First Appearance of Lady Blackhawk. 

Blackhawk133.jpg

Edited by Forbush-Man