• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's next Featured Auction Has Started Posting Books
17 17

1,670 posts in this topic

On 3/2/2023 at 1:36 PM, Dark Knight said:

It almost sold for almost the same price. I thought it would sell for less in the $150k range.  Did relatively strong in my opinion..  8.5's before the pandemic were selling for $150k or less.

Yeah I definitely remember that range. I mean if you're going by that, then pretty damn decent price! lol

On 3/2/2023 at 2:10 PM, LDarkseid1 said:
On 3/2/2023 at 1:36 PM, Dark Knight said:

It almost sold for almost the same price. I thought it would sell for less in the $150k range.  Did relatively strong in my opinion..  8.5's before the pandemic were selling for $150k or less.

Yeah I definitely remember that range. I mean if you're going by that, then pretty damn decent price! lol

It seems like we're heading towards 2020 values for those frequently seen auctioned books.  Maybe slightly higher but not off by that much. Only the rare, seldom seen books I think will perform better.

On 3/2/2023 at 2:21 PM, Dark Knight said:

It seems like we're heading towards 2020 values for those frequently seen auctioned books.  Maybe slightly higher but not off by that much. Only the rare, seldom seen books I think will perform better.

Makes sense. I suspect some stuff will pop back up though, well maybe lol.

I got some books in this auction, as I usually do haha. So far decent results for my golden stuff. A couple are still pretty low, one ending today that is super low. Still a few hours left though so we'll see. I'm sure some snipers will pull through for me in the end lol.

On 3/2/2023 at 12:56 PM, october said:

Eye appeal + cover detached + lower grade > unmanipulated higher grade + cover not ripped off staples

Also "sold" means "I sent it to auction". 

The hobby makes total sense. Cue Tim's catchphrase.

Don't hold back.  Let your joy be unbounded! :whee:

On 3/2/2023 at 2:46 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

I got some books in this auction, as I usually do haha. So far decent results for my golden stuff. A couple are still pretty low, one ending today that is super low. Still a few hours left though so we'll see. I'm sure some snipers will pull through for me in the end lol.

Good luck with your auctions! Hope they perform above your expectations :wishluck:

On 3/2/2023 at 3:16 PM, Dark Knight said:

Good luck with your auctions! Hope they perform above your expectations :wishluck:

Thanks man! You never really know lol. But I will say, those last 5 minutes as you follow the books, constantly refreshing the page gets exciting 😁

On 3/2/2023 at 3:57 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

My gut tells me this unicorn isn’t getting anymore bids, but I’m probably wrong.

62CB5CF5-BE96-4160-9289-0410DF779253.jpeg

I bid this up but someone kept topping my bid and eventually I stopped bidding.  I was fairly confident if I bid one more bid at the end that I would win it but I'd be totally fine with a lower graded copy.  Maybe this sale will bring others to market - if so, I'm a buyer.  :)

On 3/3/2023 at 12:43 PM, dem1138 said:

I bid this up but someone kept topping my bid and eventually I stopped bidding.  I was fairly confident if I bid one more bid at the end that I would win it but I'd be totally fine with a lower graded copy.  Maybe this sale will bring others to market - if so, I'm a buyer.  :)

there were two last minute bids, I'm guessing they were (reassurance bids) from the high bidder as the final hammer didn't change

Screen Shot 2023-03-03 at 13.19.09.png

On 3/2/2023 at 8:29 PM, Dark Knight said:

I thought the MMC9 sold for a strong price. Not a great looking copy given the heavy back cover tanning. Also a 4.0 sold recently for around $38k this year

A nice 4.0 sold privately for $58k several weeks ago as well. The 4.5 had full girders art and pedestrians along the right edge which only the 7.5 Billy Wright copy has. Quite a unique aspect of the 9 tucked in the corner. 

On 3/2/2023 at 9:08 PM, Primetime said:

A nice 4.0 sold privately for $58k several weeks ago as well. The 4.5 had full girders art and pedestrians along the right edge which only the 7.5 Billy Wright copy has. Quite a unique aspect of the 9 tucked in the corner. 

I guess that means someone had a steal of a price at auction for that 4.0 copy lol

Edited by Dark Knight

On 3/2/2023 at 11:08 PM, Primetime said:

I’ve noticed that in other books. I very much prefer the top Cap 37 because it is bigger than the normal Cap 37, as seen below it. The top copy is an 1/8 th of an inch both taller and wider and than the normal 37, allowing for more art in the cover image, and you can see Schomburgs name. You rarely see his name on a 37

26A47D6A-244D-4A1C-966B-CC0B759A2E48.jpeg

83148E53-A498-4B91-BA6A-4B602CC0309C.jpeg

On 3/1/2023 at 10:37 PM, Gotham Kid said:

:cry:

what a grab !

image.thumb.png.989f306062a44d4474f90e162f57d979.png

Decided to take a closer look at the batman 49 sales because it's such a stunning red cover and all I can say is what a roller coaster ride.  :whatthe:

Looks like a couple of juiced up buyers must have really overdosed on the Heritage Promise juice they were serving as the CGC 9.6 graded Promise copy sold for a rather staggering $132K back in November of 2021 and then on the very next day in the same Heritage Auction, some drunken hungover stupor who had lost out ends up bidding $38.4K for a CGC 8.5 graded copy of Batman 49.  doh!

Needless to say, with some well over 200+ Universal copies of this book graded including more than 20+ copies in CGC 8.5 or better and 5 in CGC 9.6 alone, sanity would return to the marketplace.  Hence, to no real surprise, we then end up seeing Heritage selling another CGC 8.5 graded copy for only $11.4 in September of 2022 followed by another CGC 8.5 sale even lower at only $10.2K in November of 2022.  hm

On 3/2/2023 at 9:31 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I’ve noticed that in other books. I very much prefer the top Cap 37 because it is bigger than the normal Cap 37, as seen below it. The top copy is an 1/8 th of an inch both taller and wider and than the normal 37, allowing for more art in the cover image, and you can see Schomburgs name. You rarely see his name on a 37

26A47D6A-244D-4A1C-966B-CC0B759A2E48.jpeg

83148E53-A498-4B91-BA6A-4B602CC0309C.jpeg

Full Schomburg is important for sure 

On 3/2/2023 at 9:28 PM, Dark Knight said:

I guess that means someone had a steal of a price at auction for that 4.0 copy lol

The 4.0 that sold was flipped for 58 - its the same copy (I know the buyer and seller).  So yes, it was a nice flip for the seller.  

On 3/1/2023 at 7:00 PM, batman_fan said:

The 7.0 on ComicConnect should be interesting to watch.

On 3/1/2023 at 8:04 PM, lou_fine said:

Most definitely will be as it's currently sitting in the #2 position at a hammer of $94K (i.e. $108,100 with the 15% BP) behind a CGC 2.5 graded copy of Batman 1, with still another 2 weeks to go.  :popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

My guess is that it will definitely beat CL's $201K price point, but not sure if it'll get past the $300K theshold level on this go round here.  hm  (shrug)

Well, looks like all of our negative talk about the Cap 1 sale on CL must have really raised the profile on the Cap 1 in the CC Auction:  :Rocket:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/988064

cap1.2368.jpg

Looks like it shot up like a rocket well into the top position with a current hammer bid of $162K or just over $186K with the 15% BP juice in there.  So, I imagine it really shouldn't have too much of a problem getting past the $201K price point, especially considering there's still another 10 days to go.:popcorn: :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/2/2023 at 6:57 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

My gut tells me this unicorn isn’t getting anymore bids, but I’m probably wrong.

62CB5CF5-BE96-4160-9289-0410DF779253.jpeg

It's a mystery to me, kind of. Maybe I'm not seeing something? Looking at past sales, yes a decent grade Blue Label rarely comes around. Is it an awesome cover, yes it is. But so are so many others in the series

There are 40 Blues out there, about the same as most MM's in that time frame. I guess I'm not seeing why some are willing to pay 5X or more for number 9 than most other early MM's. I see there are 13 copies 5.0 or better. 8 of them 5.5's and 6.0's.  But I don't see a sale above 4.5 since 2012. I would think with the dough a higher grade would rake in at least someone would be willing to part with theirs. 

Edited by Professor K
many spelling errors corrected

On 3/3/2023 at 12:21 PM, Professor K said:

It's a mystery to me, kind of. Maybe I'm not seeing something? Looking at past sales, yes a decent grade Blue Label rarely comes around. Is it an awesome cover, yes it is. But so are so many others in the series

There are 40 Blues out there, about the same as most MM's in that time frame. I guess I'm not seeing why some are willing to pay 5X or more for number 9 than most other early MM's. I see there are 13 copies 5.0 or better. 8 of them 5.5's and 6.0's.  But I don't see a sale above 4.5 since 2012. I would think with the dough a higher grade would rake in at least someone would be willing to part with theirs. 

I agree 100% with you. An anomaly for sure.