• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's next Featured Auction Has Started Posting Books
17 17

1,671 posts in this topic

On 9/7/2023 at 12:19 PM, Telegan said:

I think he's saying he can't have lobster rolls because the money went towards shipping the comic books. :(

Then again, I am sure that Josh and his gang are feasting out on yummy lobster rolls courtesy of his shipping money...............yum, yum!!!  :takeit: lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/7/2023 at 2:26 PM, lou_fine said:

Then again, I am sure that Josh and his gang are feasting out on yummy lobster rolls courtesy of his shipping money...............yum, yum!!!  :takeit: lol

No telling what Heritage is feasting on with their 20% BP + shipping + CC fee. :D  Maybe I should get into the auction business. lol.  I think ComicConnect's shipping for the 1 comic I won (my first time bidding on ComicConnect!) was something like $16 + the 3% CC fee which was very reasonable (to me, at least) and no BP on the one comic I won (yay!).

I only bought a couple of comics in the last CL and my shipping was $50.  I don't know how shipping is calculated, but I'm guessing the value of the items shipped makes a difference due to insurance.  I say this because my shipping costs vary from auction to auction with them.  For example, I paid $50 shipping for 2 books this time and paid $55 for shipping 7 books a month ago, but the totals on the orders were similar.  But if my recent purchase had been at Heritage, it would've been a lot more painful since the BP charge alone would've been another almost-$300.  And then they tack the CC fee and shipping on top of that. lol.

On 9/7/2023 at 4:02 PM, Telegan said:

No telling what Heritage is feasting on with their 20% BP + shipping + CC fee. :D  Maybe I should get into the auction business. lol.  I think ComicConnect's shipping for the 1 comic I won (my first time bidding on ComicConnect!) was something like $16 + the 3% CC fee which was very reasonable (to me, at least) and no BP on the one comic I won (yay!).

I only bought a couple of comics in the last CL and my shipping was $50.  I don't know how shipping is calculated, but I'm guessing the value of the items shipped makes a difference due to insurance.  I say this because my shipping costs vary from auction to auction with them.  For example, I paid $50 shipping for 2 books this time and paid $55 for shipping 7 books a month ago, but the totals on the orders were similar.  But if my recent purchase had been at Heritage, it would've been a lot more painful since the BP charge alone would've been another almost-$300.  And then they tack the CC fee and shipping on top of that. lol.

More often than not I receive my Heritage books faster in spite of the fact that they are  halfway across the country in Texas. 

I just wish CLink wasn’t so shellfish with their shipping fees.

Edited by thewritestuff

On 9/7/2023 at 6:25 PM, thewritestuff said:

More often than not I receive my Heritage books faster in spite of the fact that they are in  halfway across the country in Texas. 

That's the funny part - I'm basically in the DFW area where they are and one of my auction wins took around 2 weeks or something to get to me.  I could've walked the 30 miles over there and picked it up faster. :D  I even called them up a week after to see if they'd just combine my win from that week's auction with the one from the previous, but they said they couldn't because the prior win was already on the shipping floor or something.  Despite that, I don't think it shipped out for another 3 or 4 days. lol.  With CL, it's more varied.  Sometimes I've had orders ship within a couple of days while other times it's taken over a week or two (can't remember exactly how long).  The only place I've had consistently fast shipping is MyComicShop.  Again, they're in the DFW area, so I kind of expect it.  They ship the day or the day after I pay for the item, and I usually get it in a couple of days.

On 9/7/2023 at 7:31 PM, Telegan said:

That's the funny part - I'm basically in the DFW area where they are and one of my auction wins took around 2 weeks or something to get to me.  I could've walked the 30 miles over there and picked it up faster. :D  I even called them up a week after to see if they'd just combine my win from that week's auction with the one from the previous, but they said they couldn't because the prior win was already on the shipping floor or something.  Despite that, I don't think it shipped out for another 3 or 4 days. lol.  With CL, it's more varied.  Sometimes I've had orders ship within a couple of days while other times it's taken over a week or two (can't remember exactly how long).  The only place I've had consistently fast shipping is MyComicShop.  Again, they're in the DFW area, so I kind of expect it.  They ship the day or the day after I pay for the item, and I usually get it in a couple of days.

I’ve had good luck with the MCS, too. Fast, friendly service.

Super nice set of upper mid to high grade Superman’s in the next featured auction, and they were all entered at roughly the same time. I just always assume that’s maybe someone’s registry set when that happens, but no mention of it.

IMG_0870.jpeg

IMG_0871.jpeg

IMG_0872.jpeg

IMG_0873.jpeg

IMG_0874.jpeg

IMG_0875.jpeg

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 9/8/2023 at 7:31 AM, Telegan said:

Just tell Heritage you want a "Do Not Ship" hold placed on all of your winnings to avoid this situation in the future, and from then on you can go and pick up the books in person at your leisure.

On 9/7/2023 at 10:53 PM, tth2 said:

You would only have to pay an extra $300 to Heritage if you don't understand how to do math.

And this is why I rarely win anything on Heritage - because there's obviously someone out there who doesn't know how to do math. :D

On 9/7/2023 at 10:55 PM, tth2 said:

Just tell Heritage you want a "Do Not Ship" hold placed on all of your winnings to avoid this situation in the future, and from then on you can go and pick up the books in person at your leisure.

Yeah, I posted that in another thread and someone told me something similar - I didn't know that at the time.

On 9/8/2023 at 12:03 PM, Telegan said:
On 9/8/2023 at 11:53 AM, tth2 said:

You would only have to pay an extra $300 to Heritage if you don't understand how to do math.

And this is why I rarely win anything on Heritage - because there's obviously someone out there who doesn't know how to do math. :D

Or they do, but the gross price inclusive of BP they're willing to pay is simply higher than what you're willing to pay.

On 9/8/2023 at 12:03 PM, Telegan said:
On 9/8/2023 at 11:55 AM, tth2 said:

Yeah, I posted that in another thread and someone told me something similar - I didn't know that at the time.

(thumbsu   

On 9/7/2023 at 8:55 PM, tth2 said:

Yep, that's the best option to take if you aren't in a hurry for your books although I highly doubt it would work if you are a speculator or flipper.  (:

I remember when I was still working and kept my books at HA and CL for well over 3 years before I asked for them to be shipped out to me after I had retired.  Then when I received the big boxes of books from each of them, didn't opened them for another 3 years as they were just the perfect height to serve as corner coffee tables to hold my drinks and snacks while I watched TV.  :applause:

On 9/7/2023 at 11:06 PM, tth2 said:

Or they do, but the gross price inclusive of BP they're willing to pay is simply higher than what you're willing to pay.

(thumbsu   

You know, I thought the same thing, because I'm more of a "value/rational buyer" guy than a "buy at all costs guy", but everything I seem to bid on goes for somewhere around BP + FMV or slightly higher there.  While you may be right in some cases, I'm definitely not imagining striking out way more on books there, though.  I usually have a list about, say, 10 books I may want to bid on.  Come auction time even before the lot comes up, I'm out on most of them.  And then when the lot comes up, the bids on the rest of them usually fly past anything I'm willing to pay. 

I've always thought it's something like a handful of people thinking GPA prices don't include BP and then bidding around that price, but like I said, who knows.  I don't really worry about it much because there are lots of auction houses out there, and there seems to always be an auction, but Heritage sure does get some pretty books (though I never bid on the really expensive stuff they have - I just admire it from afar).

On 9/7/2023 at 11:11 PM, lou_fine said:

Yep, that's the best option to take if you aren't in a hurry for your books although I highly doubt it would work if you are a speculator or flipper.  (:

I remember when I was still working and kept my books at HA and CL for well over 3 years before I asked for them to be shipped out to me after I had retired.  Then when I received the big boxes of books from each of them, didn't opened them for another 3 years as they were just the perfect height to serve as corner coffee tables to hold my drinks and snacks while I watched TV.  :applause:

Lol.  I've collected comics on and off since the 4th grade as I could scrounge up money and have yet to actually sell one (I'm over 50 now).  My collection isn't huge or anything, but I'm probably the antithesis of a speculator or flipper. :D   My biggest worry with getting comics nowadays isn't how quickly I get them, but rather will FedEx decide to sign for me and leave them on the porch whereby they eventually get stolen by a porch pirate. *sigh*  That being said, I don't know if I could wait 3 years for them.  Holy cow... and then the coffee table story. lol.

Edited by Telegan

On 9/8/2023 at 12:06 AM, tth2 said:

(thumbsu   

Or they're clicking the bid button like crazy and don't even notice when the bidding increments change from $50 to $100 to $250 to $500. It's called bipolar disorder.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 10/30/2023 at 11:33 PM, comicnoir said:

They don't grade for colour strike and possibly the fade happened post encasing.

Oh, I'm not knocking CGC or anything.  The fade is actually in the grader notes on the 5.0.  I'm just curious which one would you rather have or bid on?  Either as a "lover of comics slabbed or otherwise" or as an "investor".  Both were in the current ComicLink auction.  I was trying to decide, but decided against buying either (but mostly because I wanted to go after other stuff).

On 10/31/2023 at 1:03 AM, Telegan said:

Oh, I'm not knocking CGC or anything.  The fade is actually in the grader notes on the 5.0.  I'm just curious which one would you rather have or bid on?  Either as a "lover of comics slabbed or otherwise" or as an "investor".  Both were in the current ComicLink auction.  I was trying to decide, but decided against buying either (but mostly because I wanted to go after other stuff).

A fade like that knocks it way down for me.

On 10/31/2023 at 3:43 AM, comicnoir said:

A fade like that knocks it way down for me.

The 5.0 definitely has superior structure, but I'm a color guy too. Knowing CGC, I wouldn't doubt the faded one has 7.0 structure. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu