• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's next Featured Auction Has Started Posting Books
17 17

1,670 posts in this topic

On 3/3/2023 at 4:11 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

I agree 100% with you. An anomaly for sure.

Oh. I wasn't expecting that. I thought some would give a ribbing for suggesting it's over-rated price-wise. I guess there's still time. 

On 3/2/2023 at 9:31 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I’ve noticed that in other books. I very much prefer the top Cap 37 because it is bigger than the normal Cap 37, as seen below it. The top copy is an 1/8 th of an inch both taller and wider and than the normal 37, allowing for more art in the cover image, and you can see Schomburgs name. You rarely see his name on a 37

26A47D6A-244D-4A1C-966B-CC0B759A2E48.jpeg

83148E53-A498-4B91-BA6A-4B602CC0309C.jpeg

In looking at your two examples, notice the top copy's distance between the top of "Captain", and the top edge, and compare it to the bottom copy.  It is shorter.  At the bottom, notice the length of the machine gun vs the bottom copy; it is longer.  So the title art credit, being at the very bottom, would not be visible on the lower copy only because of the difference in printing registration.  

On 3/3/2023 at 9:39 PM, fifties said:

In looking at your two examples, notice the top copy's distance between the top of "Captain", and the top edge, and compare it to the bottom copy.  It is shorter.  At the bottom, notice the length of the machine gun vs the bottom copy; it is longer.  So the title art credit, being at the very bottom, would not be visible on the lower copy only because of the difference in printing registration.  

The 2 books are the same size, just different registration. But one wants to see the signature and more art.

On 3/3/2023 at 8:39 PM, fifties said:

They really are two different sizes. They’re both mine so I’ve been able to “feel” the difference, which is what prompted me to measure them. I understand and don’t disagree with the cut may be higher or lower on the cover image. But I’ve owned many 37s, and the top one is larger than any others. For those of you who might be Cap nerds like me, check out the Cap 36s. They are all small books too, and mostly cut badly

On 3/3/2023 at 12:21 PM, Professor K said:

It's a mystery to me, kind of. Maybe I'm not seeing something? Looking at past sales, yes a decent grade Blue Label rarely comes around. Is it an awesome cover, yes it is. But so are so many others in the series

There are 40 Blues out there, about the same as most MM's in that time frame. I guess I'm not seeing why some are willing to pay 5X or more for number 9 than most other early MM's. I see there are 13 copies 5.0 or better. 8 of them 5.5's and 6.0's.  But I don't see a sale above 4.5 since 2012. I would think with the dough a higher grade would rake in at least someone would be willing to part with theirs. 

On 3/3/2023 at 1:11 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

I agree 100% with you. An anomaly for sure.

Well, it's really all rather quite simple if you've ever heard of a guy named Overstreet.  :gossip:  lol

Although many collectors say that Overstreet is irrelevant in today's marketplace, the truth is that his price guide valuations still carries a lot of weight with the buyers and the auction houses.  Now, if you look at the current edition of the price guide and the far right column where most hopeful reader's eyes tend to go to, the top of guide price for a MM 9 is $116K while MM 8 with the first issue of the Torch/Subby battle sits at $40K and the 2 non-battle issues before that down into the $20K's.  On the other end, you've got MM 10 with conclusion of the epic Torch/Subby 3-issue battle sitting at $35K and the 2 issues right after that at under $10K.  hm

Now, with those same kinds of relative valuations listed in the price guide since seemingly forever albeit at lower price points decades ago, it's pretty tough to go against entrenched history and not end up having to pay substantially more if you want a copy of MM 9 in your collection.  :preach:

On 3/3/2023 at 7:52 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

They really are two different sizes. They’re both mine so I’ve been able to “feel” the difference, which is what prompted me to measure them. I understand and don’t disagree with the cut may be higher or lower on the cover image. But I’ve owned many 37s, and the top one is larger than any others. For those of you who might be Cap nerds like me, check out the Cap 36s. They are all small books too, and mostly cut badly

Maybe we need to confer with an "expert" on this matter here..................does anybody here have the number for Danny Dupchak handy?  lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/2/2023 at 10:38 AM, bodhee11 said:

Ya they seem to do well with low to mid priced Golden Age books and not blue chip.

Not sure, but looks like they probably did alright If you are referring to books from the 2nd tier publishers like Fox, Centaur, and the likes:  hm  (shrug)

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Damazing%2Bmystery%2Bfunnies%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1659131&id=1659131&itemType=0

00969910875000111485528002_TH.jpg

Sold for a rather impressive $7,370 as compared to previous sales for this grade in the $5K+ price range for this seldom seen HTF book;  :luhv:

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dmystery%2Bmen%2B%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1659536&id=1659536&itemType=0

RAD171EB2023216_144715.jpg

Sold for a seemingly strong price of $18,806 or just over 3X condition guide value for a mid-grade copy of a key Fox book; and :cloud9:

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dpolic%2B1%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1653241&id=1653241&itemType=0

00033441655000111290444003_TH.jpg

Sold for a relative strong price of $16,055 or almost 4X condition guide value for this up and coming key book that seems to be gaining in popularity and demand after seemingly being left in the cooler for the longest while.  hm   (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/1/2023 at 6:24 PM, batman_fan said:

For the folks that track Captain America closely, does this seem low?

Screen Shot 2023-03-01 at 7.23.23 PM.png

On 3/1/2023 at 7:00 PM, batman_fan said:

The 7.0 on ComicConnect should be interesting to watch.

On 3/3/2023 at 7:46 AM, lou_fine said:

Looks like it shot up like a rocket well into the top position with a current hammer bid of $162K or just over $186K with the 15% BP juice in there.  So, I imagine it really shouldn't have too much of a problem getting past the $201K price point, especially considering there's still another 10 days to go.:popcorn: :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Well, looks like we only had to wait a few days for it to surpass the $201K CL price point from last week:  :applause:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/988064

cap1.2368.jpg

Already at a hammer price of $211,069 or over $242K with the 15% BP juice in there, and still another 8+ days left to go.  Starting to wonder if this copy here is going to surpass the $300K mark of not. :popcorn:  :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/6/2023 at 5:39 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, looks like we only had to wait a few days for it to surpass the $201K CL price point from last week:  :applause:

cap1.2368.jpg

Already at a hammer price of $211,069 or over $242K with the 15% BP juice in there, and still another 8+ days left to go.  Starting to wonder if this copy here is going to surpass the $300K mark of not. :popcorn:  :taptaptap:

The colors on the CC copy are night and day nicer compared to the one that sold on Clink. I don’t blame someone for spending more on this one with that eye appeal, unless it’s just photo enhancement. But that seems like it would be gross misrepresentation and very disingenuous. So if the colors are indeed that much nicer, what’s the popular motto people preach often, “buy the book, not the grade”. Seems like a clear example.

On 3/6/2023 at 10:49 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

The colors on the CC copy are night and day nicer compared to the one that sold on Clink. I don’t blame someone for spending more on this one with that eye appeal, unless it’s just photo enhancement. But that seems like it would be gross misrepresentation and very disingenuous. So if the colors are indeed that much nicer, what’s the popular motto people preach often, “buy the book, not the grade”. Seems like a clear example.

You are probably correct here since there was no CVA sticker on the CL copy which they surely would have tried for if it had qualified.  The copy on CC had a QES sticker based upon the following noted qualifying factors for what it's worth:  hm  (shrug)

QES Certified: impressive prime focal area, deep color strike (red, yellow & blue)

On 3/7/2023 at 7:06 AM, lou_fine said:

QES Certified: impressive prime focal area, deep color strike (red, yellow & blue)

isn't there is a close relationship between QES and CC just like there is one with CVA and HA ?

has anyone actually seen the CC copy in person to confirm the bright(er) colors or not ?

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 3/6/2023 at 11:15 PM, Gotham Kid said:

isn't there is a close relationship between QES and CC just like there is one with CVA and HA ?

has anyone actually seen the CC copy in person to confirm the bright(er) colors or not ?

Yeah I would very much love to see this book without the razzle dazzle of photo enhancement, if it’s the case.

On 3/7/2023 at 12:29 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Yeah I would very much love to see this book without the razzle dazzle of photo enhancement, if it’s the case.

Well, I guess you could try to take a look at Vinnie's video promo for CC's copy of Cap 1, unless photo enhancment is also done on videos:  :luhv:

On 3/8/2023 at 3:02 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Did you mean CVA and CL? My only three CVA books came from CLink, whereas I've never seen a CVA book on the HA site.

All of the books appear strictly graded in their slabs, but we all know that some defects can't be seen through a slab, so I tried not to let the CVA stickers influence my bidding.

0803230554531.jpg

0803230550211.jpg

1209222213292.jpg

I have to say, those do present super well 😍