• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fawcett Books can be so Damn Cheap
6 6

292 posts in this topic

On 8/10/2022 at 10:32 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Who's considered the most popular/recognized artist to work on any Fawcett books? Would it be Raboy and are his covers the most sought after from this series?

I would say CC Beck. He created the characters Raboy later defined. That being said, for the most part, Raboy covers seem to be the most sought after. 

On 8/10/2022 at 10:54 AM, Robot Man said:

I would say CC Beck. He created the characters Raboy later defined. That being said, for the most part, Raboy covers seem to be the most sought after. 

Oh yeah that definitely makes sense. Probably wouldn't put Neal Adams on top of like Joe Shuster for Superman as an example lol. Creator would likely always be on top.

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 8/10/2022 at 3:04 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Oh yeah that definitely makes sense. Probably wouldn't put Neal Adams on top of like Joe Shuster for Superman as an example lol. Creator would likely always be on top.

Actually, I wouldn’t compare Fawcett’s Beck to Superman’s Schuster. Captain Marvel was easily Fawcett’s most popular character and at times surpassed DC’s Man of Steel in popularity. What makes Beck such a significant stakeholder are the number of Whiz and Captain Marvel books he drew. Shuster didn’t have the same roles given artists Ray, Burnley, and Boring during the Golden Age. The most popular and for many Superman fans, definitive artist is Curt Swan. Unlike Fawcett’s Captain Marvel, Superman has been reinterpreted by the generations of great artists who followed the Golden Age greats. Neal Adams’ Superman is no exception. There are a number of other great artists who added their take on the Man of Steel right up to the current era- Perez, Turner, Jim Lee, and Alex Ross are just a few to mention for now. So the rule that the creator is the more popular doesn’t apply in the case of Superman. The same can be said about Batman. Bob Kane co-created the Dark Knight but he’s not the most popular Batman artist. Interestingly, Kane is less popular today given much of the covers and art with his name on it was later discovered to have been drawn by ghost artists like Duck Sprang - whose rendition of Batman is arguably the Golden Age standard. Adams is the best from my generation and Infantino along with Giordano, Newton, Aparo, Rogers, Miller, Mazzachulli and Jim Lee drew their own memorable versions of the Dark Knight. While Beck may have been Fawcett’s most popular artist, Raboy was its greatest. Raboy was in fact likely the greatest artist of the Golden Age in terms of talent. Imagine if Mac had drawn Superman?!

Edited by bronze johnny

On 8/11/2022 at 5:27 AM, bronze johnny said:

Have to laugh because “Duck Sprang” is not a typo. Boards won’t permit me to type his first name. Guess there’s no algorithm for this yet.

Yeah think you’d have to make it D*ck lol

I just picked this one up on eBay. I hope I got fair price. I bought it in British pounds sterling, and the exchange rate was worse than I realized, plus eBay charged some kind of foreign transaction fee that I didn't know about, so I paid a little more than I had planned. (I thought the exchange rate was pretty close to 1:1, but maybe I was thinking of Euros.)

Master.PNG

Master2.PNG

On 8/26/2022 at 8:35 AM, sagii said:

Glad to have this one 

lf (14).jpeg

Nice and a tough one. I think distribution was kinda spotty for a month or so on Fawcett titles in that year. As was quality. Cheap paper that split the spines on most. The Man from Planet X falls into that category. I rarely see a copy with an attached spine.

I once bought a double cover copy of your book from Bud Plant at SDCC. And yes, both covers were split and detached! 

On 8/26/2022 at 11:43 AM, Robot Man said:

Nice and a tough one. I think distribution was kinda spotty for a month or so on Fawcett titles in that year. As was quality. Cheap paper that split the spines on most. The Man from Planet X falls into that category. I rarely see a copy with an attached spine.

I once bought a double cover copy of your book from Bud Plant at SDCC. And yes, both covers were split and detached! 

Wow, was wondering what made this one so much tougher than others in the run 

Do you still have the double cover copy?

On 8/26/2022 at 8:46 AM, sagii said:

Wow, was wondering what made this one so much tougher than others in the run 

Do you still have the double cover copy?

No stupidly I sold it years ago. I was going through my “fine or better” phase. I figured I could easily get a better one. I was wrong and eventually paid more for another (also split) copy…:facepalm:

On 7/15/2022 at 1:01 PM, plady69 said:

This is before “Operation Highjump”. The penguin was telling Captain Marvel Jr. that the Nazis are building a base and the world of penguins and man must destroy it…

As the Artic melts, should be fun what the satellites show.

If you are interested, go to Earthfiles.com