• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Detective Comics Thread
5 5

4,430 posts in this topic

Here's my latest pickup - from Toronto FanFest from Harley............any of you experts seen this particular one before. If so , do share anything you know of it's history.......

Fishbone

detective31.jpg

Here is my copy but doesn't have the gloss of Fishbones copy.

This copy graded CGC 3.0 cream/off white pages and cracked open.

I suspect Fishbones copy may grade the same by CGC (thumbs u

File0400.jpg

I think that selling an unslabbed comic with all restoration disclosed rather than a slabbed comic with the same disclosure on the label will realise a higher price.

The PLOD label is a price killer.

Don't know if this is the case here but from past experience would expect Harley to have disclosed restoration if sold unslabbed.

I think that selling an unslabbed comic with all restoration disclosed rather than a slabbed comic with the same disclosure on the label will realise a higher price.

The PLOD label is a price killer.

Don't know if this is the case here but from past experience would expect Harley to have disclosed restoration if sold unslabbed.

hello all...

I saw the book in Chicago....I believe the brittle pages cgc noted were the reason for the return (we would have to ask primetime, but that is what harley told me), and it got a "lower" number grade due to that...harley sold it for an attractive price (or in chicago was asking a very fair price) and if I had not already had a copy, I might have bought!

It is unrestored, and after all, that is a rarity in its own right!

rick

Yah, i returned the book after I CGC'ed it because I was not happy with the grade/PQ it was assigned. I acquired the book as a VG- (cream to OW PQ in my opinion), and I was thinking CGC would give it a 2.5/3.0 minimum. But due to the brittle PQ it was assigned, they dropped the grade to 1.8 Blue with no resto. I had way too much in cash/trade into the book to keep it in the slab as a 1.8/Br, so I returned it. Harley would probably not get half of what I paid him for the book in a 1.8 BRITTLE Blue label, so he cracked it open...

Here's my latest pickup - from Toronto FanFest from Harley............any of you experts seen this particular one before. If so , do share anything you know of it's history.......

Fishbone

detective31.jpg

Here is my copy but doesn't have the gloss of Fishbones copy.

This copy graded CGC 3.0 cream/off white pages and cracked open.

I suspect Fishbones copy may grade the same by CGC (thumbs u

File0400.jpg

Awesome!

Yah, i returned the book after I CGC'ed it because I was not happy with the grade/PQ it was assigned. I acquired the book as a VG- (cream to OW PQ in my opinion), and I was thinking CGC would give it a 2.5/3.0 minimum. But due to the brittle PQ it was assigned, they dropped the grade to 1.8 Blue with no resto. I had way too much in cash/trade into the book to keep it in the slab as a 1.8/Br, so I returned it. Harley would probably not get half of what I paid him for the book in a 1.8 BRITTLE Blue label, so he cracked it open...

did Harley give you a full refund ?,. I know it was part cash part trade,. If I remember correctly you gave alot in trade to get this book.

Edited by thedude

Hey Brian-

I was only able to recoup about 80% of my money back, since the Action 13 was long sold by the time I wanted to return the Tec 31...I also had an AF 15 and FF1 and cash in the deal...wish that Tec 31 didn't come back brittle...oh well...

PT

I was only able to recoup about 80% of my money back, since the Action 13 was long sold by the time I wanted to return the Tec 31...I also had an AF 15 and FF1 and cash in the deal...wish that Tec 31 didn't come back brittle...oh well...

PT

cool, (thumbs u I was just wondering as I've never bought from Harley yet, and wondered how much of a refund he would give in this type of situation.

thanks for the info.

As always, I appreciate all the "experts" chiming in -- I knew there were some of you out there who knew the book. Based on what I've heard so far, I'm happy with the purchase -- definitely much better price than pre-slab $$ Harley seemed to be asking. I'm sure he didn't want the same thing to happen to him again.-- anyway, I think he was fair knowing what he knew and me not knowing. Still don't understand the 1.8 "brittleness" from CGC - both Primetime and myself certainly can't see why PQ is such an issue here. But like Gator said, it IS unrestored at the least. Thanks again,

Happy Fish :hi:

P.S. PT -- do I have your Action #13 by chance? -- I know Harley had a poor copy that he sold to a neighbor @ the Spring Toronto show, whom I bought it from subsequently (which, BTW, was also too "brittle" to restore according to Matt @ Classics Inc.)

Edited by fishbone

Fish-

I am glad the Tec 31 found itself a good home. :) As for my Action 13...no it is long gone---I traded it to Harley along with an AF 15, FF 1, and cash to get the Tec 31. By the time a few weeks past and I wanted to return the Tec, the Action 13 was sold...

PT