• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Detective Comics Thread
5 5

4,430 posts in this topic

This book belongs in a mylar. Maybe have CGC grade it for the resto check and to confirm a grade but crack that baby out again and enjoy. Blinding colors on that copy.

Yep, the colors are in fact blinding and rich. No fading at all or anything. No problem with the colors, just the dreaded spine and the first page. I'm definitely considering getting it slabbed to make sure it is 100% unrestored.

FINALLY!!! Got my upgraded Tec 35 a couple of days ago thanks to Metro. It's just gorgeous! Definitely worth the upgrade. Now, I want to ask your guys' opinion on the grade you would give the book and if I should send it to CGC.

Picture051.jpg

Congrats! When I called Metro to buy this book a month or so ago, and they said someone had just bought it 30 minutes earlier...guess I now know who that someone is wink.gif

I believe the book could grade/should grade 3.0 @ CGC. The length of the spine split will make it tough to grade any higher, even though it is so overall attractive and nice...... with that said, this is wonderful book that anyone would be proud to own regardless of its "technical" condition grade, and if I had called Metro just 31 minutes earlier, I would be posting this great pic!

Due to the rarity of unrestored graded copies of this book, and the rarity of off-white pages given its age, I think CGC is the way to go for sure.....you will have SERIOUS bragging rights to own any blue label, off-white paged Tec 35. Congrats again! thumbsup2.gif

Steve

Thanks for the kind words Steve. I definitely left out on picking up this book now knowing that you almost had it. I almost didn't buy the book when I did because I was leaving for Las Vegas the next day and I almost waited until I got back, but I had a feeling that someone else might buy it. So, I went with my gut feeling and I guess it paid off. Since I am afraid to even flip through the pages and/or reading this book because of its delicate spine, I might as well just slab it as soon as I can. I will post a pic once it is slabbed.

Brian

If I had such a beautiful book I would want to handle it, which, given the spine split, is probably not a good idea. I think it makes sense to slab this one if that will still allow you to appreciate it without worry.

Congrations!

Don't slab it! Why pay all that money to NOT be able to access your book? Most GA buyers for books under, say, 8.0, aren't so grade conscious that they care about slabbed vs. raw, and if you're concerned about resto there are a number of people who'll check it out for you for far less money than slabbing would cost.

Wow, i'm getting mixed reactions on whether to slab or not. Very interesting

The only way I would consider slabbing a nice book like that is if I were going to sell. Otherwise, keep it "fresh". Personally, I pull out my Batman 1 several times a year, pull it out of the mylars, and flip through it. It also turns my frown upside down.

Don't slab the book. It displays well and CGCs restoration check is not the end all be all of whether a book is restored or not. A don't remember specific examples off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure some one complained about them missing restoration. If someone remembers please refresh all our memorues. They do a good job and it is great for selling books, but for a private collection piece it's not worth it. That is to me of course.

Wow, i'm getting mixed reactions on whether to slab or not. Very interesting

The only way I would consider slabbing a nice book like that is if I were going to sell. Otherwise, keep it "fresh". Personally, I pull out my Batman 1 several times a year, pull it out of the mylars, and flip through it. It also turns my frown upside down.

well said

rick

Definitely good positions from each of you guys. Something I gotta think about. Showcase, you're right that yea it will drive me wild not knowing what the grade would be if sent to CGC and for resto. check. Batman_fan, the keeping it fresh thing you said is definitely appealing and flipping through the book is not all that bad, but I'm afraid I might damage the book in some sort of fashion. Centaurman, yea paying all that money for no access to your book sucks. We'll see.. I'll think about it.

You know, the grade is what you say it is, not cgc. If you think its better then a 3.0, why submit to someone else's opinion? I see no point in getting it graded honestly. If you are going to sell it, thats different, but for yourself, just trust your instincts!

You know, the grade is what you say it is, not cgc. If you think its better then a 3.0, why submit to someone else's opinion? I see no point in getting it graded honestly. If you are going to sell it, thats different, but for yourself, just trust your instincts!

That's definitely true. Part of the reason too is to get a restoration check on it. I know that CGC has every equipment or what not to detect restoration 100%. Even some professionals can make a mistake and say that it is unrestored, when in reality it really is. My friend who submitted a book to a professional recently said that the professional said it was unrestored, but when he sent it in to CGC, CGC noted that it was cleaned I believe. So, that's why it's 50/50 to me right now. I don't want to know down the line if for some reason I have to sell the book and later finding it that it had some restoration on it. I mean there's really no reason that I'm gonna sell it down the line, but you just never know. I highly doubt it though, but there's always a chance.

it's definitely a mix right now. I have both slabbed and raw detective comics books. Ultimately, I want to have my expensive books slabbed, but it's just a matter of $$$ right now because I can use the money I pay to have it slabbed to save up for another book.