• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Detective Comics Thread
5 5

4,430 posts in this topic

I have scored big time by joining the Boards just 8 months ago........this month I was able to purchase a KEY Pre-Robin Tec, due to meeting thru this CGC site a fellow Boardsman who I did not know previous to my involvement in this great comic book cyberspace forum. The book on the left is the 3rd highest graded unrestored copy of Tec 35, and thanks to our own Rick AKA Detective27kid, it is now part of my collection. Please note the PQ: off-white pages!

The "D" copy of Tec 35 in 5.5 sold for for $17,900, so I was very pleased to purchase this 5.0 for $15,000. Rick was so great to work with, he sent the book before I sent the check.....but that is due to both of our reputations as serious, credible collectors. This courtesy may not be extended to others, so I am very grateful for Rick's faith in me. Thank you Rick for making one of my "most wanted" books become part of my collection. thumbsup2.gif

1608014-tec35duo.jpg

1608014-tec35duo.jpg.04a511f10a9e9c54e0ccef64c647d7a5.jpg

I have scored big time from my joining the Boards about 8 months ago........this month I was able to purchase a KEY Pre-Robin Tec, due to meeting thru this CGC site a fellow Boardsman who I did not know previous to my involvement thru this great forum. The book on the left is the 3rd highest graded unrestored copy of Tec 35, and thanks to our own Rick AKA Detective27kid, it is now part of my collection. Please note the PQ: off-white pages!

The "D" copy of Tec 35 in 5.5 sold for for $17,900, so I was very pleased to purchase this 5.0 for $15,000. Rick was so great to work with, he sent the book before I sent the check.....but that is do both of our reputations as serious, credible collectors. This courtesy may not be extended to others, so I am very grateful for Rick's faith in me. Thank you Rick for making one of my "most wanted" books become part of my collection. thumbsup2.gif

1608014-tec35duo.jpg

Congratulations Steve! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I am very happy for you.

BTW, that is my copy next to yours in the picture. We both are huge fans of the Batman and Rick! cloud9.gif

I have scored big time from my joining the Boards about 8 months ago........this month I was able to purchase a KEY Pre-Robin Tec, due to meeting thru this CGC site a fellow Boardsman who I did not know previous to my involvement thru this great forum. The book on the left is the 3rd highest graded unrestored copy of Tec 35, and thanks to our own Rick AKA Detective27kid, it is now part of my collection. Please note the PQ: off-white pages!

The "D" copy of Tec 35 in 5.5 sold for for $17,900, so I was very pleased to purchase this 5.0 for $15,000. Rick was so great to work with, he sent the book before I sent the check.....but that is do both of our reputations as serious, credible collectors. This courtesy may not be extended to others, so I am very grateful for Rick's faith in me. Thank you Rick for making one of my "most wanted" books become part of my collection. thumbsup2.gif

1608014-tec35duo.jpg

I am very happy for you.

BTW, that is my copy next to yours in the picture. We both are huge fans of the Batman and Rick! cloud9.gif

Cool !! If you ever come to Baltimore Bill, crab cakes and drinkies are on me! wink.gif

I am very happy for you.

Cool !! If you ever come to Baltimore Bill, crab cakes and drinkies are on me! wink.gif

Sounds like a plan to me!

Geez Steve, those side-by-side 'Tec 35's are simply beau-ti-ful...congrat's on the blue 5.0 with lovely OFF-WHITE pages.

Well, I pulled the trigger and did a trade with a good friend tonight. Picked up the following book and a handful of Centaurs. I gave up some PRIMO material to get this copy, but I think it's worth it. First time that I've ever owned this particular issue:

100_1612.jpg

STEVE

Edited by sacentaur

Wow! That's a beauty! Was that from the Detroit Trolley colllection? If so, it might be homesick. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks! ...Detroit Trolley's have the letter "L" - usually in cursive, on the front cover. This Tec 35 has the letter "M" instead......as in "mine now" cloud9.gif

If a Detroit Trolley Tec 28-37 surfaces, I will be 1st in line though...so be prepared to have the price driven up if you want to bid against me poke2.gif

Geez Steve, those side-by-side 'Tec 35's are simply beau-ti-ful...congrat's on the blue 5.0 with lovely OFF-WHITE pages.

Well, I pulled the trigger and did a trade with a good friend tonight. Picked up the following book and a handful of Centaurs. I gave up some PRIMO material to get this copy, but I think it's worth it. First time that I've ever owned this particular issue:

100_1612.jpg

STEVE

Possibly the most beautiful of all Tec covers and a contributory reason for its great value.

100_1612.jpg

STEVE

Holy Cow Steve!!! Man when you step up to the plate you step up swinging!!! Dish the details on this gorgeous book! thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893whatthe.gif

Dish the details on this gorgeous book!

Some pro restoration: staples cleaned, small spine split seal, cleaned & pressed, and some very minor work on the inside back cover. A big plus for me is that the pages are a naturally beautiful off-white.

What's just as important is the work that was not done on the book (notice the two right corner edges are not color touched and there's a small chip out on the back cover).

Of course, there was full disclosure - which makes all the difference in the world, and makes this book a pleasure to own.

STEVE

100_1612.jpg

STEVE

Sweet book! Congrats!

I gave up some PRIMO material to get this copy, but I think it's worth it. First time that I've ever owned this particular issue:

When you give up primo material you know it's gotta hurt -- but that's a great looking copy! Congratulations! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Some pro restoration: staples cleaned, small spine split seal, cleaned & pressed, and some very minor work on the inside back cover. A big plus for me is that the pages are a naturally beautiful off-white.

What's just as important is the work that was not done on the book (notice the two right corner edges are not color touched and there's a small chip out on the back cover).

Of course, there was full disclosure - which makes all the difference in the world, and makes this book a pleasure to own.

STEVE

Sounds wonderful. Seeing what was not done, it looks like Matt Nelsons' work. He usually won't over-restore a book.

Great pickup! Now tell me who has the Centaurs so I can pester them... devil.gif

Now tell me who has the Centaurs so I can pester them... devil.gif

gossip.gif and give up my source?!? Never! 27_laughing.gif

Wander over to the Centaur folder...I'll be posting some samples over the next few days headbang.gif

Whatever you gave up must have been primo (everything you own is primo!), but what you got is one of the coolest comics on the planet! (and me pestering you for the Centaurs) Great trade! wink.gif

STEVE

Great comic! hail.gif

Do a lot of these big books travel with the restoration paperwork... before/after photo? Or, is it a word of mouth thing ? I don't want to get taken when my LCS pulls out his pre-Robin Tecs. confused-smiley-013.gif

1608014-tec35duo.jpg

hello all....

tis true, both of those bad boys once sat in my 4 year old boys lap (litterally)....I was very fortunate to win the tec 35 from the dec? metro auction (I believe I was the under bidder on the crippin copy)...I had put a max bid of $15K in, which is what I felt the book was "worth"....I had no intention of selling it, but steve and I struck up some conversations, and that led to the sale at a price I Think we both felt was "Right on" (steve was very fair with his offer...had it of been any lower, I would have not considered selling, but the fact that we both valued the book the same, without having ever discussed the price, made it ok to send to a new home, and I made a little money to buy a Marvel Myster #2!)....I had traded away (for some Ciorac $'s) that restored copy to the right (which was a beaut , too), so I was temp. left without a 35 in hand, but good old brian came through and sold me a copy (the 2.5 posted previously in this thread), so all was well in the world again...

great deal for all, I believe...

rick

Edited by Detective27kid

My own side-by-side yay.gifyay.gif

100_1615.jpg

Do a lot of these big books travel with the restoration paperwork... before/after photo? Or, is it a word of mouth thing ? I don't want to get taken when my LCS pulls out his pre-Robin Tecs.

Full Disclosure is a HUGE issue, and in this case the seller was a good friend so it was word-of-mouth (and I had no concerns as I would with some of the Big Name dealers who try to "slip one by" you).

Marnin Rosenberg of CollectorsAssemble does a good thing for his raw Detroit Trolley books - every one is examined and certified by Susan C., which works for me.

STEVE

My own side-by-side yay.gifyay.gif

100_1615.jpg

Do a lot of these big books travel with the restoration paperwork... before/after photo? Or, is it a word of mouth thing ? I don't want to get taken when my LCS pulls out his pre-Robin Tecs.

Full Disclosure is a HUGE issue, and in this case the seller was a good friend so it was word-of-mouth (and I had no concerns as I would with some of the Big Name dealers who try to "slip one by" you).

Marnin Rosenberg of CollectorsAssemble does a good thing for his raw Detroit Trolley books - every one is examined and certified by Susan C., which works for me.

STEVE

These are beautiful. It might be time to convert 20 long boxes into something like this! hail.gifthumbsup2.gifyay.gif