• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Detective Comics Thread
5 5

4,430 posts in this topic

My own side-by-side yay.gifyay.gif

100_1615.jpg

Do a lot of these big books travel with the restoration paperwork... before/after photo? Or, is it a word of mouth thing ? I don't want to get taken when my LCS pulls out his pre-Robin Tecs.

Full Disclosure is a HUGE issue, and in this case the seller was a good friend so it was word-of-mouth (and I had no concerns as I would with some of the Big Name dealers who try to "slip one by" you).

Marnin Rosenberg of CollectorsAssemble does a good thing for his raw Detroit Trolley books - every one is examined and certified by Susan C., which works for me.

STEVE

Steve, these are just wonderful books... congratulations on these. Whatever you had to give up for the #31, I'm sure it was worth it. These two covers are my top three TEC picks, the other being #29 (#27 isn't an option for me).

I am totally with you on the restoration ... its nice when it still maintains the natural appearance. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Now, about those Centaurs! 27_laughing.gif I can't wait to see those ... actually, maybe I don't want to see them ... my heart breaks a little more everytime you post a book!!! Feel free to PM me if any undercopies got free'd up!

893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

It's definitely good to see alot of the famous pre-Robin tec books being shown on here again. I can never get tired of looking at those fine keys! I'm also glad to hear that all the deals that went through within the past couple of months have been great between board members. That's the kind of environment we all want to be in... Trust in the deals and books we get. Congratulations to everyone who have bought or traded books to have in their collections. It's always great finding a book you thought you'd never own. Hopefully soon, I can set up my own group shot with the same books I collect... Can't wait! Thanks again to Rick for the deal with the 2.5 Tec 35. Now I cant wait to get my 35 sometime this coming weekend smile.gif

FINALLY!!! Got my upgraded Tec 35 a couple of days ago thanks to Metro. It's just gorgeous! Definitely worth the upgrade. Now, I want to ask your guys' opinion on the grade you would give the book and if I should send it to CGC. I'm 50/50 on it right now, but ultimately, I'd want to have my high end books all encapsulated. I will definitely keep this one for a very very long time!

A bit of description about the book. It has a spine split from the bottom staple down. The spine is in pretty rough shape with a very small split at the top and some fraying along the spine. There is a piece missing in the first page that doesn't affect the art. Beautiful offwhite-white pages! Enjoy!

Picture051.jpg

Picture054-1.jpg

Piece missing at the bottom edge

Picture053.jpg

DK, I'm with shiver on this one - a great looking, presentable book.

You have a comic from what best can be described as the "black S" collection. Not a reocognized pedigree or anything, and the origin of the collection is uncertain, but generally excellent condition books with nice page quality.

Hard to render an opinion on grade without a closer examination, but if you're happy with the book and price - and it looks as nice in person as it does in your scans (and being a "black S", I'll wager that it does) - then you have a winner!

Congrat's thumbsup2.gif

STEVE

Haha thanks for the comments guys. Yea, I love the smell on this one.. Ohh soo good! Sacentaur, yea I don't kno much about this collection, but there is a Tec 33 and Tec 37 with the same "S" writing on it. I'm wondering what the other books are in the collection. Could possibly be a complete pre-robin tec? I guess we shall wait and see.

Yeah, this books is definitely a beauty. bright colors, glossy, superior page quality, fresh and supple... Just amazing for its age!

I also figured that I've seen CGC 3.0 books with a detached centerfold or even missing a staple. And so I'm hoping if I were to send it in, it would be at the 3.5 or 4.0 level. I just don't know how CGC will grade a book with a missing piece in one of the pages and a spine split.

FINALLY!!! Got my upgraded Tec 35 a couple of days ago thanks to Metro. It's just gorgeous! Definitely worth the upgrade. Now, I want to ask your guys' opinion on the grade you would give the book and if I should send it to CGC.

Picture051.jpg

Congrats! When I called Metro to buy this book a month or so ago, and they said someone had just bought it 30 minutes earlier...guess I now know who that someone is wink.gif

I believe the book could grade/should grade 3.0 @ CGC. The length of the spine split will make it tough to grade any higher, even though it is so overall attractive and nice...... with that said, this is wonderful book that anyone would be proud to own regardless of its "technical" condition grade, and if I had called Metro just 31 minutes earlier, I would be posting this great pic!

Due to the rarity of unrestored graded copies of this book, and the rarity of off-white pages given its age, I think CGC is the way to go for sure.....you will have SERIOUS bragging rights to own any blue label, off-white paged Tec 35. Congrats again! thumbsup2.gif

Steve

hello all...

I like the looks of it....technically a 3.0 due to full bottom split (might and I mean just might, push a 3.5)...but, sometimes the visual of the books is more important than the technical grade...

so, to recap, Brian got the new metro copy, I got Brian's old copy, and Steve got my copy (which also originated via a metro auction) and bill got my other copy...and Steve got my "new" copy, because Brian bought Metro's copy, which he could buy because I bought his copy, which meant Steve could not buy Brian's metro copy, since Brian had already commiitted to buying it, and I had committed to buying Brians, so I could sell STeve mine, since Steve couldn't buy the Metro copy....so if I had not of bought brians copy...ahh, nevermind, I am confused

rick

Brian got the new metro copy, I got Brian's old copy, and Steve got my copy (which also originated via a metro auction) and bill got my other copy...and Steve got my "new" copy, because Brian bought Metro's copy, which he could buy because I bought his copy, which meant Steve could not buy Brian's metro copy, since Brian had already commiitted to buying it, and I had committed to buying Brians, so I could sell STeve mine, since Steve couldn't buy the Metro copy....so if I had not of bought brians copy

rick

Try saying that 5 times fast! headbang.gif

Brian got the new metro copy, I got Brian's old copy, and Steve got my copy (which also originated via a metro auction) and bill got my other copy...and Steve got my "new" copy, because Brian bought Metro's copy, which he could buy because I bought his copy, which meant Steve could not buy Brian's metro copy, since Brian had already commiitted to buying it, and I had committed to buying Brians, so I could sell STeve mine, since Steve couldn't buy the Metro copy....so if I had not of bought brians copy

rick

Try saying that 5 times fast! headbang.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

FINALLY!!! Got my upgraded Tec 35 a couple of days ago thanks to Metro. It's just gorgeous! Definitely worth the upgrade. Now, I want to ask your guys' opinion on the grade you would give the book and if I should send it to CGC.

Picture051.jpg

Congrats! When I called Metro to buy this book a month or so ago, and they said someone had just bought it 30 minutes earlier...guess I now know who that someone is wink.gif

I believe the book could grade/should grade 3.0 @ CGC. The length of the spine split will make it tough to grade any higher, even though it is so overall attractive and nice...... with that said, this is wonderful book that anyone would be proud to own regardless of its "technical" condition grade, and if I had called Metro just 31 minutes earlier, I would be posting this great pic!

Due to the rarity of unrestored graded copies of this book, and the rarity of off-white pages given its age, I think CGC is the way to go for sure.....you will have SERIOUS bragging rights to own any blue label, off-white paged Tec 35. Congrats again! thumbsup2.gif

Steve

Thanks for the kind words Steve. I definitely left out on picking up this book now knowing that you almost had it. I almost didn't buy the book when I did because I was leaving for Las Vegas the next day and I almost waited until I got back, but I had a feeling that someone else might buy it. So, I went with my gut feeling and I guess it paid off. Since I am afraid to even flip through the pages and/or reading this book because of its delicate spine, I might as well just slab it as soon as I can. I will post a pic once it is slabbed.

Brian

FINALLY!!! Got my upgraded Tec 35 a couple of days ago thanks to Metro. It's just gorgeous! Definitely worth the upgrade. Now, I want to ask your guys' opinion on the grade you would give the book and if I should send it to CGC. I'm 50/50 on it right now, but ultimately, I'd want to have my high end books all encapsulated. I will definitely keep this one for a very very long time!

A bit of description about the book. It has a spine split from the bottom staple down. The spine is in pretty rough shape with a very small split at the top and some fraying along the spine. There is a piece missing in the first page that doesn't affect the art. Beautiful offwhite-white pages! Enjoy!

Picture051.jpg

Picture054-1.jpg

Piece missing at the bottom edge

Picture053.jpg

Absolutely stunning!!