• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Detective Comics Thread
5 5

4,430 posts in this topic

This came today :banana: only had the scan before

IMG_1491.jpg

:applause:

Very nice displaying 2.5

it is purdy... and it was priced right where I told another fellow boardie to offer/buy it at... GREAT deal overall for SIAC (thumbs u

So... can anyone tell me what the deal is with there being so few Tec 39s in reasonable price ranges? :shrug:

I know I'm not going to find it for straight guide as most earlier Tecs sell for over guide, but seems like most copies I see are at least twice guide value. Not that I'm buying RIGHT NOW per se, but this is one book (along with Batman 20) that were on my radar VERY early on in my GA hunting experience. I mean, I know it's the 2nd appearance of Robin and has a phenomenal cover--the #1 and #2 reasons why I want it--but I NEVER hear anyone talk about it so I can't imagine the demand is there to put it in the "multiples of guide" realm.

Thoughts?

So... can anyone tell me what the deal is with there being so few Tec 39s in reasonable price ranges? :shrug:

I know I'm not going to find it for straight guide as most earlier Tecs sell for over guide, but seems like most copies I see are at least twice guide value. Not that I'm buying RIGHT NOW per se, but this is one book (along with Batman 20) that were on my radar VERY early on in my GA hunting experience. I mean, I know it's the 2nd appearance of Robin and has a phenomenal cover--the #1 and #2 reasons why I want it--but I NEVER hear anyone talk about it so I can't imagine the demand is there to put it in the "multiples of guide" realm.

Thoughts?

First of all...I'd buy this right now if I had not recently purchased my Tec #33...

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=65508

Secondly, I do think there is more demand than one might think. Many don't want to pay Tec #38-prices so perhaps #39 might become the next best possible option?

Also, I think Tec #38-40 are still very desirable. Tec #39 has a fantastic cover, first technical appearence of Clayface, and as you said...the second Robin.

Great issue. (thumbs u

I put the first offer in on it but the $385 came in LITERALLY within 30 minutes of my posting an offer. doh! Anyhow, I don't have $400 to drop right now which is why I'm letting the other offer ride. :(

Like I said, I know there are a lot of technical factors that play into this being a cool book but I think if you were to do a search even on these boards, you'll probably find ME being the biggest talker for this particular issue (usually bemoaning the fact I don't have one! lol )

Like I said, I know there are a lot of technical factors that play into this being a cool book but I think if you were to do a search even on these boards, you'll probably find ME being the biggest talker for this particular issue (usually bemoaning the fact I don't have one! lol )

Hey, I thought I was the only one talking up Tec #39! :-) I'm surprised it's giving you trouble, as it's one of those issues that seemed to be everywhere years back. I guess it's still everywhere, just overpriced. It's not pre-Robin, so I don't think it should be priced much above guide.

Here's my copy. (Actually, I had done some interior scans of this book months ago and never found the time to post them... so, let's do 'em now!)

I love the cover, with Batman knocking the thug off the building, presumably to his death (last time you see a Tec cover like that for a looong time). Great color scheme on this one too.

97819.jpg

The Batman story in #39 is fantastic -- it reads much more like a pre-Robin story than a post-Robin one, with a Chinatown-based "Oriental hatchet gang" that has a nasty habit of burying hatchets in peoples' skulls. Batman saves the day by crushing the gang under a massive statue, killing them all (did I mention that this story is a touch violent?). Robin's involvement in the story is pretty minimal.

97820.jpg

97821.jpg

97822.jpg

97823.jpg

Finally, here's the other neat thing about this issue: a full-page ad for Batman #1.

I love the text blurb "This is a small reproduction of the cover" on these early house ads. (Guess they didn't want kids to be looking for a Batman #1 digest!)

97824.jpg

I noticed that Jerry Weist has a lot of "Sonny" books for sale. Most of them have tape on the covers. I suppose the better comics ended up in the collection I purchased from Wally.

4801786642_eafd7d7215_b.jpg

4801786628_9bfb62189b_b.jpg

The first two are owned by Jerry and the last two are in my collection.

2250002564_6f8c47c981_b.jpg

3193245916_c12bd1e2a9_o.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun