• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Detective Comics Thread
5 5

4,430 posts in this topic

Unfortunately the only way there will be a resurgence in demand for tec 38 is if the price is dropped significantly....there is just to much supply

There is virtually "no" supply of say tec 35 so of course price is higher. ..just basic economics....

In golden age the value of the book rarely coincides with the value of the content...all perceived supply and demand

Unfortunately the only way there will be a resurgence in demand for tec 38 is if the price is dropped significantly....there is just to much supply

There is virtually "no" supply of say tec 35 so of course price is higher. ..just basic economics....

In golden age the value of the book rarely coincides with the value of the content...all perceived supply and demand

I'm curious. Are there really a lot more Tec 38's than 35's or are there just a lot more available because everyone is holding onto the pre-Robins? I also seem to see a lot of PLOD Tec 38's. Does the gap close much between the two when just comparing unrestored copies?

I'm curious. Are there really a lot more Tec 38's than 35's or are there just a lot more available because everyone is holding onto the pre-Robins? I also seem to see a lot of PLOD Tec 38's. Does the gap close much between the two when just comparing unrestored copies?

there are a LOT more tec 38's than pre robin tecs (thumbs u

there are a LOT more tec 38's than pre robin tecs (thumbs u

Thanks.

Slowly working on a Detective run, will either end it here or take it to #200.

tec168.jpg

Nice (and hard to get a hold of) book! :applause:

supply does seem to be soft these days, but just 3 years ago, I had a half dozen tec 168's and passed on a dozen others... I guess maybe the dark knight movie interest absorbed them all...

Slowly working on a Detective run, will either end it here or take it to #200.

tec168.jpg

Nice (and hard to get a hold of) book! :applause:

supply does seem to be soft these days, but just 3 years ago, I had a half dozen tec 168's and passed on a dozen others... I guess maybe the dark knight movie interest absorbed them all...

Probably right on the mark there. I have hardly seen any of these available at all in the recent months. A really nice key book.

Interesting how books can go in and out (in a sense) from one time to another. Was reading everyone's Tec 38 comments above.

If a movie with Robin (a good one) came out - it would be interesting to watch the demand change and how drastically.

let me reiterate, the only thing that will get the 20 or so recurring copies of tec 38 currently in the market, "out" of the market is a substantial price correction... no movie is going to do it, imo

let me reiterate, the only thing that will get the 20 or so recurring copies of tec 38 currently in the market, "out" of the market is a substantial price correction... no movie is going to do it, imo

I'm not sure of all the copies on the market currently. But I assume most are restored from what I have seen.

Like we've all said - resto on Pre-Robins not as big of a deal since supply is low. But where the Tec 38 is concerned I really frown on restored copies (personally, just an opinion) - I waited to find a lower end grade unrestored blue, instead of buying a mid grade MP or EP resto for the same price (or cheaper)

And I feel what your saying, the 38 by guide in comparison to FMV on the Pre-Robins before it - does seem to be "un-balanced" in the current market.

I 100% agree with Rick on this. I have been watching for a nice unrestored Detective 38 for about 5 years now. In those 5 years, I would say prices have been flat to down. There is never a shortage of copies available depending on what defects you can accept. The reason I haven't picked up a copy is no reason to rush. Prices have not made any sigificant movement.

I've seen quite a few example of Bob Kane swipes and that led me to wonder about his "inspirations" for what many people view as his best cover. Perusing Ken Quattro's blog today I saw a cover to a British magazine whose castle is the spitting image of the one used on Tec 31. Reading further you find that Kane was drawing Peter Pupp for Eisner who supplied WAGS and other publishers with material. So either Kane drew the Pupp cover and borrowed it later for Tec 27 or he may have borrowed what someone else drew. For example, Eisner may have designed or drawn all or part of the Pupp cover.

detective31cgc.jpg

Kaneswipewagspuppcover2.jpg

I've seen quite a few example of Bob Kane swipes and that led me to wonder about his "inspirations" for what many people view as his best cover. Perusing Ken Quattro's blog today I saw a cover to a British magazine whose castle is the spitting image of the one used on Tec 31. Reading further you find that Kane was drawing Peter Pupp for Eisner who supplied WAGS and other publishers with material. So either Kane drew the Pupp cover and borrowed it later for Tec 27 or he may have borrowed what someone else drew. For example, Eisner may have designed or drawn all or part of the Pupp cover.

detective31cgc.jpg

Kaneswipewagspuppcover2.jpg

Wow, nice eye!

What the price of a low grade Tec #31? hm

The last CGC 2.5 sold for $14,000 earlier this year.

Well,that book won't be in my collection (Can't save that much cash :( )

It is pricey. But they all are. :eek:

Well,once I pay off some books I going to try and save some money to get my first GA book :wishluck:

That is, until you meet someone named Helen on eBay. :baiting:

Sorry, buddy. I just can't help it. lol