• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Detective Comics Thread
5 5

4,430 posts in this topic

I have no idea how to put in pic so here is the link to it :banana: Or if a fellow boardie can help with the pic even better

That is beautiful, congratulations :applause:

lf.jpg

Thank you, and thanks for helping me post the pic (worship)

this just sold in heritage last month for about $5K, is that where you got it (shrug)

I have no idea how to put in pic so here is the link to it :banana: Or if a fellow boardie can help with the pic even better

lf.jpg

this just sold in heritage last month for about $5K, is that where you got it (shrug)

No bought it off the winner :banana:

lf.jpg

Congrats, nice to see some a post Robin Tec in this thread, I presume it was bought off a boardie as he was advertising it in this thread? Link

lf.jpg

love that "3/6" arrival on the FC (thumbs u

lf.jpg

Congrats, nice to see some a post Robin Tec in this thread, I presume it was bought off a boardie as he was advertising it in this thread? Link

Yes it was from him great looking 2.5 :headbang:

lf.jpg

Bought it off the winner hm

did you get it for more or less than he bought it for?

lf.jpg

;)

lf.jpg

;)

:cool:

lf.jpg

My pleasure (thumbs u

Tec 38 :cloud9: I won't be able to land a Batman 1 so this is pretty much the big one out there for me to try and get some day. I grew up with Robin (Batman series in the 400s--great time for the title!), so this would be a great book to get.

Nice job!

Should be arriving shortly :banana: I have no idea how to put in pic so here is the link to it :banana: Or if a fellow boardie can help with the pic even better :banana:

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd18/foti2678/lf.jpg

Congratulations!

As others have mentioned, it looks much nicer than a 2.5.

I'm not sure how much you got it for, but I do believe that now is a good time to buy a book like Detective #38 so long as the price seems reasonable to you.

It's just such a legendary issue and one that is very under-appreciated in this day and age. There are so many others (like myself) who love the pre-Robin Tecs that issues like this tend to not get the amount of appreciation that they really deserve.

This is a classic issue, a true grail, one of the greatest books of all-time in my opinion.

Fantastic pick-up. (thumbs u

Tec 38 :cloud9: I won't be able to land a Batman 1 so this is pretty much the big one out there for me to try and get some day. I grew up with Robin (Batman series in the 400s--great time for the title!), so this would be a great book to get.

Nice job!

It would be a good book to go for.

I'm not sure what your budget is but unless you plan on selling a huge portion of your collection, Batman #1 is out of the question for most collectors unless you can find a coverless/incomplete copy.

As I stated above, Detective #38 is really an under-appreciated issue and if you can find an affordable copy...I'd suggest you pick it up before some of this anti-Robin sentiment begins to fade away.

I think folks mistake "lack of interest at a price point" and "perceived availability" as "under appreciated"...

I don't know of anyone other than ciorac that doesn't appreciate tec 38 lol so I don't know how it could be underappreciated... now, "under"purchased, appears so...

the problem is that this book, early on, got priced so much higher than surrounding issues (due to robin's intro), that folks are now more resistant to pay what is perceived as inflated premiums for a relatively "common" (by early tec standards) issue...

now, 15-20 years ago, that wasn't the case from my experience (tec 38 would sell over, say, tec 31, in a heartbeat), so I don't think anything has changed other than relative perception

the book is as important as virtually an detective issue...

I think folks mistake "lack of interest at a price point" and "perceived availability" as "under appreciated"...

I don't know of anyone other than ciorac that doesn't appreciate tec 38 lol so I don't know how it could be underappreciated... now, "under"purchased, appears so...

the problem is that this book, early on, got priced so much higher than surrounding issues (due to robin's intro), that folks are now more resistant to pay what is perceived as inflated premiums for a relatively "common" (by early tec standards) issue...

now, 15-20 years ago, that wasn't the case from my experience (tec 38 would sell over, say, tec 31, in a heartbeat), so I don't think anything has changed other than relative perception

+1

Plus, despite being an important key, #38 looks kinda ordinary next to the earlier books. I know I'd rather have a pre Robin book before I got #38. But I still love #38 and would love to eventually have one.:cloud9:

the book is as important as virtually an detective issue...

I see where your coming from; getting all logical on us. lol

But I think it's that lack of interest at price-point that makes the issue under-appreciated. I'm not saying it should sell for more than #31, but I do think it should sell for more than #35 (just my opinion of course).

I'm sure people would be interested in owning the book, but most are not as interested in #38 as they are in books that I feel should be worth less. I'm no authority by any means and I'm sure availability plays a factor.

I just feel that the book should be "hotter" than it is and while you're certainly right that its frequent availability compared with an often times hefty asking-price drives collectors away, that doesn't seem to be as much of an issue with other classic GA Batman books.

I don't see the availability of Batman #1 driving collectors away in the same way it does Detective #38. And I don't see the very hefty asking-prices of Detective #35 (just using it as an example) driving collectors away. And yes, Detective #35 is much harder to come by than #38 so perhaps I'm answering my own question.

Bottom line, the combination of the above factors for better or worse makes the issue under-appreciated in my eyes. From what you say, that wasn't always the case. I wouldn't expect #38 to begin to out-sell #31 anytime soon but I do expect in the coming years for there to be a resurgence of interest in #38 to the point in which not as many collectors will be driven away for the reasons you discussed.