• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Detective Comics Thread
5 5

4,430 posts in this topic

I love the 28. Was incredibly difficult to track down.

And you can call me crazy as well but I actually like the 28 as coverless, So you can eye some Bats goodness.

Just stuns me when I hold it that it's the 2nd Batman

I like the cover to #28, but there definitely is something cool about how that book looks coverless. #27 has been reprinted a zillion times, Dr. Death made it into the 30's to the 70's book, and the Monk stories were in a 100 pager. The fact that it's the second Batman story, and was unreprinted for such a long time(not until the Archives edition in the nineties) has added to its mystique.

And you can call me crazy as well but I actually like the 28 as coverless, So you can eye some Bats goodness.

I like the cover to #28, but there definitely is something cool about how that book looks coverless. #27 has been reprinted a zillion times, Dr. Death made it into the 30's to the 70's book, and the Monk stories were in a 100 pager. The fact that it's the second Batman story, and was unreprinted for such a long time(not until the Archives edition in the nineties) has added to its mystique.

true, and if 28 was a Bat cover, more collectors would be familiar with the story :cool:

Great group shot of TECs. :applause: The #28 looks sharp in that fortress too. Is the interior complete?

It's complete and unrestored, even has a married Back Cover.

It's about a "VG" if I were to just grade the interior.

Great group shot of TECs. :applause: The #28 looks sharp in that fortress too. Is the interior complete?

if the back cover is married, doesn't that make it restored?

if the back cover is married, doesn't that make it restored?

No not in the current state. It's not physically attached. It would be a Green.

But if I did have it attached it would be a purple restored indeed.

I know the term "married" is not the best term as it makes it sound attached to the rest (restored) but I mean married as included with (qualified green) :)

true, and if 28 was a Bat cover, more collectors would be familiar with the story :cool:

@ Dolby Dickles- I think the key word in the early adventures is the mystique, such an incredible first year intro Batman had. Stories and all. Covers like 29,31,35 etc etc leave the audience in awe. I am impressed with the legacy Bill Finger, Bob Kane, Jerry Robinson, and MANY GHOSTS ARTISTS AND WRITERS left behind with these glorious early adventures.

Read them all over 20 times but I always enjoy them.

And oh man, Primetime!, could you imagine a Tec 28 cover? If it was as myesterious as 29 and 31 - good lord! :cloud9:

@ Dolby Dickles- I think the key word in the early adventures is the mystique, such an incredible first year intro Batman had. Stories and all. Covers like 29,31,35 etc etc leave the audience in awe. I am impressed with the legacy Bill Finger, Bob Kane, Jerry Robinson, and MANY GHOSTS ARTISTS AND WRITERS left behind with these glorious early adventures.

And oh man, Primetime!, could you imagine a Tec 28 cover? If it was as myesterious as 29 and 31 - good lord! :cloud9:

as with the early Actions, we will never know what covers "could have been" if, say, Actions 1 up and Tecs 27-37 were ALL Supes and Bat covers :luhv:

. . . . I am impressed with the legacy Bill Finger, Bob Kane, Jerry Robinson, and MANY GHOSTS ARTISTS AND WRITERS left behind with these glorious early adventures.
Gardner Fox deserves more than an honorable mention in that list.

. . . . I am impressed with the legacy Bill Finger, Gardner Fox, Bob Kane, Jerry Robinson, and MANY GHOSTS ARTISTS AND WRITERS left behind with these glorious early adventures.

Very true. How could I forget him!

List correct ! :cool:

. . . . I am impressed with the legacy Bill Finger, Bob Kane, Jerry Robinson, and MANY GHOSTS ARTISTS AND WRITERS left behind with these glorious early adventures.

+1 In those early pre-Robin adventures there weren't that many ghost writers and artists. Apart from Finger, Gardner Fox wrote the stories in #29-34 (except for the origin in #33 by Finger).

As for artists, the DC bullpen originally helped out to correct for Kane's rather weak art; for instance Guardineer in 28, Moldoff in 33-35. #36 onwards the studio team of Kane, Robinson and Roussos is more dominant.

Same here. I read those pre Robin stories(and the early stuff from BATMAN) around once a year.

Same here. I read those pre Robin stories(and the early stuff from BATMAN) around once a year.

Over the past two months I read them before bed, in part to wind down. Nice to curl up to a good book, but heck why not a book with pictures - GA Bat pictures.

I was always wondering how they'd end such fascinating stories. Especially in 34 where he fights the in the car and it goes of the mountain - will Batman die? - NO! - he grabs the bat-rope to the bat-gyro and off he goes and saves the day. :headbang:

I've read my Tec and Batman Vol. 1 Archives so many times. :cool:

Over the past two months I read them before bed, in part to wind down. Nice to curl up to a good book, but heck why not a book with pictures - GA Bat pictures.

I've been reading the EC Archives books before bed, or an old issue of Comic Book Marketplace.