• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,286 posts in this topic

Very nice congrats!

Thanks bro! Looks real nice next to your old #7. :headbang:

There you go, put that run together, good opportunity to add more in the June Clink auction, near complete run - lots of nice issues.

This one was an odyssey. I think I owned 7-8 copies upgrading one after another until this one.

One of my favorites from the run because it is such an odd-ball cover (no text, no side panels).

At first glance it seems out of place in the midst of amazing Everett, Heath and Anderson covers, but when you take a second look it really holds its own with its skulls, knives, chained man, eyes bulging, great coloring...truly one of the weirdest covers from the pre-code run, but for this same reason one of the best.

18e80874-55c6-4d98-a9dd-0a5780534472_zps21643cfa.jpg

.... that's always been one of my favorites in the run..... and what a fantastic copy .... I think I'd start upgrading another issue now.... that one is a keeper. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

This one was an odyssey. I think I owned 7-8 copies upgrading one after another until this one.

One of my favorites from the run because it is such an odd-ball cover (no text, no side panels).

At first glance it seems out of place in the midst of amazing Everett, Heath and Anderson covers, but when you take a second look it really holds its own with its skulls, knives, chained man, eyes bulging, great coloring...truly one of the weirdest covers from the pre-code run, but for this same reason one of the best.

18e80874-55c6-4d98-a9dd-0a5780534472_zps21643cfa.jpg

Very sharp. :golfclap:

..... recent eBay win ..... I always liked this cover. Maneely drew himself and his wife on the cover to this one.... they are the couple walking nonchalantly through all the ensuing chaos.... GOD BLESS...

UNCANNYTALES33.jpg

.....Maneely drew himself and his wife on the cover to this one.... they are the couple walking nonchalantly through all the ensuing chaos.... GOD BLESS...

UNCANNYTALES33.jpg

That's a great cover and a great bit of trivia! Where did you learn about this? ---> "Maneely drew himself and his wife on the cover..."

:applause:

.....Maneely drew himself and his wife on the cover to this one.... they are the couple walking nonchalantly through all the ensuing chaos.... GOD BLESS...

UNCANNYTALES33.jpg

That's a great cover and a great bit of trivia! Where did you learn about this? ---> "Maneely drew himself and his wife on the cover..."

....It was in an issue of Alter Ego featuring Maneely..... GOD BLESS...

UNCANNYTALES33.jpg

....It was in an issue of Alter Ego featuring Maneely..... GOD BLESS...

After you posted this it got me curious about Maneely since I've never seen a photo of him (and was always curious how he died) so I checked Wiki.

From Wiki:

Joe_Maneely_zpsef54ab87.jpg

Fellow Atlas artist Stan Goldberg recalled that on the night of Maneely's death,

...Joe [told] me that he'd been in the city the week before and had lost his glasses. He didn't even know how he'd gotten home that day. So this day came and he went out drinking and went out to get some air between the trains, and he fell off the train. When they found him, he was still clutching his portfolio. I remember [production staffer] Danny Crespi calling me on Saturday morning to break the news. [...] The family had a rough time after he died. The Maneelys had daughters and a lot of bills. They had just bought a big house, too, and didn't have any money put away.

His last original published story was the five-page Ringo Kid tale "One Bullet Left" in Gunsmoke Western #53 (July 1959), and his final published comics work was the cover of Gunsmoke Western #55 (Nov. 1959), featuring Kid Colt and Wyatt Earp. Historian Ger Apeldoorn believes Maneely's last drawn work was published earlier: the first page of the eight-page story "The Revenge of Roaring Bear" in Two-Gun Kid #45 (Dec. 1958), which was completed by a different artist (Jack Davis), and bears the highest published job number (T-67) of Maneely's work.

Marvel editor-in-chief Stan Lee opined in the early 2000s that had Maneely lived, "he would have been another Jack Kirby. He would have been the best you could imagine".

Learned that he moved his family to Tinton Falls, NJ (very close to where I live) along with other great info about the man. Seeing him draw himself wearing these glasses that he was missing on that fateful night makes me appreciate this cover all the more!

Here's a link to An INDEX of Joe Maneely's ATLAS work and it would appear that Stan continued to include Maneely text illos for those 2 page stories ..... probably to help his widow a bit... until 1963. Nancy, one of his daughters, still has original art and has been collecting comics with her fathers art in them. Those Friday poker games he attended were lengendary..... Everett was also a regular. GOD BLESS...

Edited by jimjum12