• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,286 posts in this topic

This one has a really nice Everett cover:

DSC_0020917x1280_zpsc26dcfc0.jpg

This cover reminds me of the Strange Tales #61 laundromat cover, with the code sometimes forcing writers, artists and editors to stretch for ideas in a "mystery" title.

I love the cover, but I imagine the average kid must have been underwhelmed by the challenge of solving the "Secret of the Pet Shop", after a recent diet of ghouls, vampires and animated corpses. Even the Hardy Boys mysteries of the era had more promising titles.

This one has a really nice Everett cover:

DSC_0020917x1280_zpsc26dcfc0.jpg

This cover reminds me of the Strange Tales #61 laundromat cover, with the code sometimes forcing writers, artists and editors to stretch for ideas in a "mystery" title.

I love the cover, but I imagine the average kid must have been underwhelmed by the challenge of solving the "Secret of the Pet Shop", after a recent diet of ghouls, vampires and animated corpses. Even the Hardy Boys mysteries of the era had more promising titles.

lol

This one features a nice Maneely cover and has a story by Colan if I remember this correctly. I'm to lazy to pull the book out of the mylar and mylite to check.

DSC_0014895x1280_zps8eea14f6.jpg

NICE copy...... and it probably does have a real nice Colan story...... many from this period do.... he was very prolific at this point in his career. You shared some really nice ones this time.... and I'm a big fan of the pet shop issue..... a decently rendered Drucker story in that one. I got my copy a while ago, when I had first started realizing how much I liked the Atlas line. The Lorna is a favorite cover that I wouldn't mind having a nice copy of someday. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Thanks Jimbo. I did some digging today and stumbled upon them and some others that I will post soon.

Yes, Colan did a lot of stories at that time. I like his Atlas war stories a lot. The pet shop cover is also a favorite of mine, but that's not difficult since all Everett covers are amazing. Which takes us to the Lorna. I didn't even remember that I owned this one and was surprised and happy when I pulled it out. I like the look on the gorilla's face and the fact that the guy with the rifle is standing right next to him. Both seem keen on giving Lorna a beating and don't seem to realize that they are standing a few feet apart. lol

Colan war in his "Drucker period" :cloud9: ..... by the way, congrats to whomever won the AIWW 25 in the Clink auction..... I was all poised with my snipe bid and must have miscalculated by one second...... oh, the agony. Whoever has it, you got it for a lot less than you would have. I suppose it's just as well, I relay couldn't afford it anyway (....sour grapes)....... beautiful copy of one of my favorites. My copy is a fair minus..... but loved nonetheless. GOD BLESS...

The AIWW 25 is definitely a great looking copy of a cool book. I didn't score anything in the CLink auction.

I managed to win 4 books in the CC auction though. There are a couple of books ending tonight that I'd like to get my hands on, but they close very late (around 4am her) and I will not be able to stay awake that long, I'm getting old I guess. I will just hope to be lucky with the bids I'll place on them before going to bed.

I was shut out on everything in both auctions..... but the worst letdowns were the AIWW 25, ST 49, and MA 21. I was surprised the MA 21 didn't go for more as it had great eye appeal for a 6.0..... I love that comic. GOD BLESS...

Looks like some good bargains were had in the recent CC Auction. I can't help but think the recent hacking attempts may have hurt bidder confidence for them... which is sad... I really like Steve, Vinny, and crew. Unfortunately for me, I had to work those nights that items of interest to me closed. Someone got a decent deal on the Mystery Tales 18. The Astonishing 3 was a good deal also. I'm not sure ...but it reminds me of the Bethlehem copy I used to own.... and if I recall, it lacks the telltale Kery stamp...... and I bought it directly from Marnin..... so it might be hard to verify the provenance.... unless it was Chris Foss who put it up. GOD BLESS...

Looks like some good bargains were had in the recent CC Auction. I can't help but think the recent hacking attempts may have hurt bidder confidence for them... which is sad... I really like Steve, Vinny, and crew. Unfortunately for me, I had to work those nights that items of interest to me closed. Someone got a decent deal on the Mystery Tales 18. The Astonishing 3 was a good deal also. I'm not sure ...but it reminds me of the Bethlehem copy I used to own.... and if I recall, it lacks the telltale Kery stamp...... and I bought it directly from Marnin..... so it might be hard to verify the provenance.... unless it was Chris Foss who put it up. GOD BLESS...

A lot of the Atlas books I was after went for more than expected. The Venus 19 in 4.0 went for $3100, although I have to say it presented very well for the grade.

That was a pretty one..... as was the 18. It could be that the mid grade Atlas market is finally settling down a bit.... except on the icon books. CC does manage to up some decent material. GOD BLESS...

..... I've resigned myself to never owning another Venus 19...... barring a yardsale bonanza.

I was shut out on everything in both auctions..... but the worst letdowns were the AIWW 25, ST 49, and MA 21. I was surprised the MA 21 didn't go for more as it had great eye appeal for a 6.0..... I love that comic. GOD BLESS...

The Mad Mamba! :frustrated:

The Mad Mamba! :frustrated:

....Man, that's a tough book. Probably won't see one like that in a very long time :sorry: One of the top Maneelys.... GOD BLESS...

RAD149552014114_93717.jpg

..... this one didn't go cheap.... but for as cool as this Anderson cover is.... I could have seen it going higher. This one, I'm pretty sure, is from a batch of books that have the same slash mark in the first letter of the logo. They're usually in the VF range with fantastic gloss. I found a few with Gene Carpenter and he told me it was his understanding that the books came from a relative of either the Publisher or Printer. If the new owner of this ST 27 deslabs it, they're in for a real treat...... and the C/OW will be close to straight OW....... GOD BLESS....