• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,290 posts in this topic

I think we have been fooled for the last 12 months there have been lots of atlas in auctions - they've generally done well, in this instance extremely well, but can you guys remember 2012-2014 it was rare if ever to even see any decent atlas for sale in an auction maybe a lone high grade copy here or there.

We are headed back to that environment I believe.

I think we will look back and see how unique an opportunity this was to buy a high grade pedigree Atlas.

Probably true. Less likely is that it will bring out lots of hidden collections.

Unlikely I think, this collection sat raw for the last 12-15 years, sold as a lot for purposes of being brought to auction.

There are just so few of these complete collections in high grade out there let alone ones stuffed with pedigree copies.

you may see odd copies here or there but not complete runs like this IMHO.

Is anyone able to update the uninitiated as to where this collection came from?

I think we have been fooled for the last 12 months there have been lots of atlas in auctions - they've generally done well, in this instance extremely well, but can you guys remember 2012-2014 it was rare if ever to even see any decent atlas for sale in an auction maybe a lone high grade copy here or there.

We are headed back to that environment I believe.

I think we will look back and see how unique an opportunity this was to buy a high grade pedigree Atlas.

Probably true. Less likely is that it will bring out lots of hidden collections.

Unlikely I think, this collection sat raw for the last 12-15 years, sold as a lot for purposes of being brought to auction.

There are just so few of these complete collections in high grade out there let alone ones stuffed with pedigree copies.

you may see odd copies here or there but not complete runs like this IMHO.

Is anyone able to update the uninitiated as to where this collection came from?

I understand it was put together just by buying choice books off metro back in the day and picking up books here and there, right place, right time to pick up some rare high grade Atlas.

This was like an 9.0 scale earthquake in the Atlas comics genre. :o

I was able to secure 2 issues (22 and 26) which at the end appear almost reasonable.

For the 4, 7,and 18 I dropped out at the 6K level which I swore I never thought I would venture. I thought when I stopped bidding, that would be it for each auction. But, the bidding went on. So, there were 2 or more other high end bidders for these books.

I wonder if this consignor has a ST collection to match and if it will come to market?

This was like an 9.0 scale earthquake in the Atlas comics genre. :o

I was able to secure 2 issues (22 and 26) which at the end appear almost reasonable.

For the 4, 7,and 18 I dropped out at the 6K level which I swore I never thought I would venture. I thought when I stopped bidding, that would be it for each auction. But, the bidding went on. So, there were 2 or more other high end bidders for these books.

I wonder if this consignor has a ST collection to match and if it will come to market?

He did have a similar ST collection, it sold privately early last year and had a bunch of Northfords and a few River City and I think 1-2 Spokane.

Frankly I think the ST collection had better books than the JIM run, more highest graded issues.

Edited by Johnny545

I haven't tallied it up, but I'm thinking the consignor is richer by a couple hundred thousand..... that might hold him(or her) for a moment. Some of the issues really surprised me..... suggesting that the high end Atlas market may not be as cover-centric as I had thought. I had this stuff pegged at 6K per for the better stuff.....I was way off. I would love to be a fly on the wall at billing time..... curious if most of these ended up with one individual. Maybe the Registry will reflect something. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

.....CC may end up as the go-to for this type of material, as they originally sold many of the pedigree examples through their Metro entity.

I picked up the JIM #5. I know it's not one of the high grade JIMs that were offered and it's missing a staple but I'm very happy with the pick up. Can't wait to have it in hand.

Congrats, I think you got a great book at a great price.

I picked up the JIM #5. I know it's not one of the high grade JIMs that were offered and it's missing a staple but I'm very happy with the pick up. Can't wait to have it in hand.

Congrats! :applause:

You are going to love it. That cover is stunning in detail in hand and some good stories to boot! I know I love my copy!

Congrats! :applause:

You are going to love it. That cover is stunning in detail in hand and some good stories to boot! I know I love my copy!

Pretty amazing results overall. As for JIM #5, all I have of that ish is a raggedy cover! Guess it'll have to do for now. (Still want a coverless complete to marry it to! ;))

The JIM 16 was a bargain at $ 135...... man, that's a strong cover. I'm sure a VF of that one would hit that 10K barrier. GOD BLESS....

The JIM 16 was a bargain at $ 135...... man, that's a strong cover. I'm sure a VF of that one would hit that 10K barrier. GOD BLESS....

Indeed, a book I naturally wonder about (as I have a nice shape raw copy, I've posted it on the boards years ago now.) While I don't deny your figures could be accurate Jimbo, wouldn't that be quite a spread ($135 to 10K?) Still, given the right book and circumstances and bidders, I wouldn't call it impossible. :)

What is a guess for the hammer price on a JIM #1 at VF or better? I don't think the cover is as cool as some of the later ones, not that it isn't awesome though, but it is the #1 which I know is harder to find.

What is a guess for the hammer price on a JIM #1 at VF or better? I don't think the cover is as cool as some of the later ones, not that it isn't awesome though, but it is the #1 which I know is harder to find.

After last night, 10-15K would be my guess in 8.0 or better, maybe more.

The better covers go nutz at VF...... GOD BLESS....

Probably not quite nice enough to go nutz, but I always have liked it since finding it (about 10 years ago now.)

988023-jim16.jpg

I'd go nutty over that copy! Nice! (worship)

After last night, 10-15K would be my guess in 8.0 or better, maybe more.

I think easily that on JIM #1 in that grade. It's a key precode and desirable book to Atlas and non-Atlas fanatics alike. :)

Probably not quite nice enough to go nutz, but I always have liked it since finding it (about 10 years ago now.)

988023-jim16.jpg

Thanks Jayman! If I'm not mistaken, your copy is as nice or better. :)

988023-jim16.jpg

.....depending on PQ and gloss, you're probably sitting on a 1500+ copy......but you'd likely never replace it in that shape.... GOD BLESS....

988023-jim16.jpg

Jay has the lone variant copy in the world - priceless.