• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,286 posts in this topic

It sure would be nice if he were a boardie.... I'd like to know more about the efforts involved in putting together a complete Atlas set. I wonder what the last one was that he needed.... how long it took to complete the nearly 5000 issue canon. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I will try and ask him the next time I see him (if I remember to). He told me that he was only missing 3 books to complete the whole Atlas set.

Thanks, Mike. I'm hoping he at least keeps a few for "old time's sake" GOD BLESS...

It sure would be nice if he were a boardie.... I'd like to know more about the efforts involved in putting together a complete Atlas set. I wonder what the last one was that he needed.... how long it took to complete the nearly 5000 issue canon. GOD BLESS....

I will try and ask him the next time I see him (if I remember to). He told me that he was only missing 3 books to complete the whole Atlas set.

Thanks, Mike. I'm hoping he at least keeps a few for "old time's sake" GOD BLESS...

You're welcome Jimbo. He sent all the Atlas books he owned to Heritage, but he still has a lot of other books left.

Wow. After 45 years of hunting there were still 3 missing ? That goes to show how tough some of these Atlas books can be. Jim V is someone I would love to have lunch with someday. I've often seen his credits and bylines on www.atlastales.com ......GOD BLESS...

Wow. After 45 years of hunting there were still 3 missing ? That goes to show how tough some of these Atlas books can be. Jim V is someone I would love to have lunch with someday. I've often seen his credits and bylines on www.atlastales.com ......GOD BLESS...

He did great work on compiling the Baker checklist, as well.

He used to say he had never paid more than $20 for a comic so that makes his achievement all the more remarkable.

He is one of a handful of top indexers in the volume of story and creator credits that he has identified and that have been used by Overstreet, GCD, Atlas Tales etc.

Jim Vad is great. When I took my 7 year old #1 son into LCS in 1986 we bought an early Gladstone & the Jim V edited Seduction of the Innocent #5 (Eclipse) with PCH color reprints (mostly from Standard) with a Crackerjack lead yarn drawn right by Alex Toth. I'd been out of comics for a while (was building my PB collection), but one whiff of PCH and I was Back. Thanks, Jim.

He used to say he originally just wanted to buy the issues he wanted but if dealers found he liked an artist they'd raise the price on those issues, so it became easier and cheaper to buy them all.

He used to say he had never paid more than $20 for a comic so that makes his achievement all the more remarkable.

He is one of a handful of top indexers in the volume of story and creator credits that he has identified and that have been used by Overstreet, GCD, Atlas Tales etc.

I think he said he paid more for one book... his Mad #1 was $40 or $50. But still!

Over the past few years, he's also been loaning public domain books to scanners for the DCM & CBP; there are thousands of books that are scanned because he let people borrow them.

Apologies if it's been discussed previously, but amongst the many Atlas experts here on the boards - what are the best/most desirable atlas pedigrees? Maybe there isn't a consensus but curious as to people's favorites.

For me its Church (rarity), Northford (story/quality/breadth/focus on PCH), Spokane (page Quality/pristine quality), White Mountain (beauty/quality), Bethlehem (story/date stamp/history), Nova Scotia, Crippen, Big Apple.

I think Jamie at So Cal comics in San Diego once had a complete Atlas collection. Also possibly Terry O'Neil. An undaunting task for sure.

WM probably has the best in terms of quality and breadth, Spokane has probably the best overall quality (but WM are up there). River City/Northford/Bethlehem all have hits & misses. I have a handful of most, and wouldn't kick any of them out of bed. But there is enough variation that you'd have to go on a case-by-case basis for any of them.

All of the ones mentioned seem to trade at a premium. I wouldn't mind seeing a Church Atlas? Haven't been looking that long but really can't recall seeing any.

Only one I've ever owned. Sadly no more. Selling it is my biggest collecting regret of the last 5 years.

mar22373a_zps5f313f2f.jpg[/img]

Oh man, you sold THAT? For mere money? Did you need a kidney or something?

Ha no didn't need a kidney. I'll just say CA real estate is pricey and remodeling is a headache.

Lots and lots of books had to go over the past year.

I managed to cling to a few (see below) have replaced others and added still more books I never thought I would own.

Regardless, the pedigrees I sold probably aren't coming back to visit.

Like I said...regret.

fde5fd8e-712c-4d63-be67-804786b57d24_zps76ebf43c.jpg

Edited by Johnny545