• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,286 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, buttock said:

The inks look too clean for Burgos to me.  His were more chaotic.  Like JC Coll, only with less intent.  

The guy facing the cop directly, reddish blond hair with the flat top, his face seems tellingly, but I think it's the lack of detail that makes it stand out and look like Toth.  I think that's a red herring. 

The font where it says "stationary" has an Everett feel too, but I would be reluctant to use a font as an identifier.  

Severin drew most of the covers leading up to this one.  This is clean enough and has his stiff feel, but the art doesn't quite match and he typically signed.  

I don't see Kida at all.  

It would be easier to do this if I had a bunch of Atlas books in front of me rather than these small scans.

I'm now confident that Everett is the penciller.  Severin would handle some details similar to Everett, but would never draw any more detail in a background than he had to.

Alternate for the inker is Severin.  He inked Kirby just a couple months earlier for the interior of "Yellow Claw" #4 using a pen rather than a brush, which matches the approach to this cover.

12 hours ago, adamstrange said:

It would be easier to do this if I had a bunch of Atlas books in front of me rather than these small scans.

That's a good idea.  Let's get together soon.  

I'm now confident that Everett is the penciller.  Severin would handle some details similar to Everett, but would never draw any more detail in a background than he had to.

Alternate for the inker is Severin.  He inked Kirby just a couple months earlier for the interior of "Yellow Claw" #4 using a pen rather than a brush, which matches the approach to this cover.

(thumbsu

14 hours ago, adamstrange said:

I would agree that Everett had a strong hand in this. Something about the cop’s face really drew me into it. Reminds me of his Atlas “horror/suspense” work of this period. 

13 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I would agree that Everett had a strong hand in this. Something about the cop’s face really drew me into it. Reminds me of his Atlas “horror/suspense” work of this period. 

I agree about the cop’s face, but then the rest of the cover didn’t look like Everett to me.

On 3/11/2021 at 12:49 PM, Jasonmorris1000000 said:
On 3/11/2021 at 12:34 PM, Robot Man said:

I agree about the cop’s face, but then the rest of the cover didn’t look like Everett to me.

I'm not seeing Everett. The drawing is too realistic and not cartoony enough; it looks as if the penciller used a photo for source material.