• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman thread show us yours
9 9

3,413 posts in this topic

Picked this up on eBay the other day for a bargain price. A great cover, and a copy that presents better than the grade. Sometimes you get lucky... :cloud9:

action50.jpg

That sure presents better than the stated grade.

This is as close as I can come to hanging out with you guys. It's a promo from 1942 for Py-Co-Pay tooth powder. Supes was a big deal, went commercial in a hurry.

advofsupermanvff_zpsd98eadea.jpg

advofsupermanvfb_zps39afefbc.jpg

BTW this (my) book's been listed in CLink's Nov auction. A Supes fan might want to know that, right? Or as I tell my wife when she accuses me of being self-serving - "I'm only thinking of you."

Couldn't pass this one up. Only a single 9.0 grades higher. This cover gets a lot of flack, but I've always looked at it as the cover Norman Rockwell would have done if he'd ever penciled a Supes cover.

sup19.jpg

Couldn't pass this one up. Only a single 9.0 grades higher. This cover gets a lot of flack, but I've always looked at it as the cover Norman Rockwell would have done if he'd ever penciled a Supes cover.

sup19.jpg

:applause:

sup19.jpg

It's the "nice" version of Action Comics #1 :angel:

Why does that cover get flack? I'm just curious. I haven't seen it before, but I think it's pretty great.

It's just that he's not exactly fighting Nazis, or even stopping a master criminal on this cover. On the other hand, except for #1, it's the toughest of the first 20 issues in high grade.

Why does that cover get flack? I'm just curious. I haven't seen it before, but I think it's pretty great.

It's just that he's not exactly fighting Nazis, or even stopping a master criminal on this cover. On the other hand, except for #1, it's the toughest of the first 20 issues in high grade.

I think 15 might be tougher.

And put me in the "hate that cover" camp. Yours is a beauty of a copy for sure though.

I think 15 might be tougher.

And put me in the "hate that cover" camp. Yours is a beauty of a copy for sure though.

The census numbers for 15 and 19 are very similar in high grade. Both have 1 copy at 9.0 and 1 copy at 8.0. At 7.5, #15 has 2 copies and #19 has 1 copy.

In lower grades, #19 is definitely more common.

I always wanted a copy of this one. Not the prettiest copy, with a dust shadow and some cover chips, but a book I can cross off my list.

I love the stamp: "Larsen's Cut Rate Magazines" :D

lf-44.jpeg