• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman thread show us yours
9 9

3,413 posts in this topic

nice one! too bad it's not the 'real' first Lois Lane cover wink.gif

don't worry, Durden's got that one as well, great #29 by the way Brian..and yes, there are great Action covers other than the war covers..

Edited by thedude

don't worry, Durden's got that one as well, great #29 by the way Brian..and yes, there are great Action covers other than the war covers..

Yeah, there are many non war covers I like, especially the ones under issue 30. What do you think is the best non-superman cover? Personally I like issue #8 for the cool battle scene and nice colors. Probably one of the hardest issues in the run to find though.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif , good question, it's hard to pick just one, but for non-Supes covers I'd probably say, # 2 and # 16 I like alot , and the Zatarra # 12 and # 14, I can't pick a favorite.

I held in my hands a number 11 at the Mid-Ohio Con, and these covers are much cooler when you see them in person..

hm , good question, it's hard to pick just one, but for non-Supes covers I'd probably say, # 2 and # 16 I like alot , and the Zatarra # 12 and # 14, I can't pick a favorite.

I held in my hands a number 11 at the Mid-Ohio Con, and these covers are much cooler when you see them in person..

Zatara covers have the best graphic design to the covers, in my *professional* opinion. smile.gif

this just came in the mail, not 10 minutes ago-

46_1.jpg

looks good! apart from a 1" chunk missing out of the lower back corner

nice book Matt, at least the missing chunk is on the back, nice addition to the collection thumbsup2.gif

this just came in the mail, not 10 minutes ago-

46_1.jpg

looks good! apart from a 1" chunk missing out of the lower back corner

Nice pickup. Pretty classic image of supes on the cover too! Definitely one of the better non-war covers. thumbsup2.gif

hm , good question, it's hard to pick just one, but for non-Supes covers I'd probably say, # 2 and # 16 I like alot , and the Zatarra # 12 and # 14, I can't pick a favorite.

You're right its hard to pick one, as the issues you mention are nice also.

Just wondering, was the issue #11 you held from terryscomics and graded a 4.0? I ask because I considered buying that copy at Wizard World Chicago.

yeah, that's the same book, Terryscomics has it, didn't know they've had it since Chicago though, he was really trying to sell it, he had it listed at $1400 I believe, and came down to $1000 and I wasn't even really looking to buy it, I had already blown $950 on my Action #46, but he said I could check it out, so I did, took it out opened it up and flipped through it, (very carefully of course) it's got nice pages as well, it's a decent 4.0 copy. has some initials in pen on the cover I believe, but pretty solid book, it's so far the oldest one I've held in my paws..

They had the #11 listed for $1,400 in Chicago too, but only came down to $1,200 for me frustrated.gif I need to improve my negotiation skills.

Actually, it was fairly easy for me to pass on it as it really isn't an issue I'm aggressively pursuing.

They had the #11 listed for $1,400 in Chicago too, but only came down to $1,200 for me frustrated.gif I need to improve my negotiation skills.

Actually, it was fairly easy for me to pass on it as it really isn't an issue I'm aggressively pursuing.

I wasn't either, I mean I'd love to have it, but there are many other issues I intend on getting first.. like I say, I wasn't even negotiating, I had already blown my bank for the day, and was just perusing the books and he said here you can take it out if you want, well...I did, it was cool to flip through the 11th appearance of Superman ever ! anywhere !

Zatara covers have the best graphic design to the covers, in my *professional* opinion. smile.gif

If you're a fan of the #12 and #14 Zatara covers (and I sure am too!), then it means you're a fan of the artist Fred Guardineer. He drew both of those covers, and I wouldn't be surprised if he had some control over the coloring on those as well. IMO, he had one of the most elegant & distinctive styles of the early DC artists. His work on the interior Zatara stories is quite nice too, and even his lettering is easy to spot and much easier on the eyes than some of the cruder efforts elsewhere in the early Actions.

Nice pickup on the #33, Matt!

Yeah, ole Fred was good. You need to check out his More Fun and Adventure covers.

Creig Flessel, O'Malea and Guardineer has somewhat similiar styles and content to there covers. Not uncommon to see a Flessel cover credited to O'Malea or Guardineer. So, if you are looking for some great comics to collect, based on covers those books are the way to go.

If you're a fan of the #12 and #14 Zatara covers (and I sure am too!), then it means you're a fan of the artist Fred Guardineer. He drew both of those covers, and I wouldn't be surprised if he had some control over the coloring on those as well. IMO, he had one of the most elegant & distinctive styles of the early DC artists. His work on the interior Zatara stories is quite nice too, and even his lettering is easy to spot and much easier on the eyes than some of the cruder efforts elsewhere in the early Actions.

Nice pickup on the #33, Matt!

Guardineer's first Superman cover was Action #15. He does have a distinctive style, as #15 cetainly has a different feel to it than the earlier Supes covers. He did do some nice TEC covers as well.

I don't know the official reason, but my guess would be it was due to the positioning of Superman's right arm coming across his chest, that Joe Shuster didn't think he had enough room or whatever to put the "S" shield there. confused-smiley-013.gif