• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blue vs Yellow- valuation
1 1

183 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Red84 said:

Also, for me the only signed books that I still have are ones that I got signed in person (Jon Bernthal on an ASM129 reprint and Tony Moore on a Walking Dead 1 reprint). The only other signed book that I had (ASM issued signed by Stan Lee - I don't even remember the issue #) I sold.

It's similar to signed sports memorabilia. All of the signatures I still have I either got signed in person (McGwire at a Cardinals game, Horace Grant at a TGI Fridays, etc) or I got signed through the mail (Abdul Jabbar, Tony Gwynn, Kirby Puckett, Paul Molitor, Nolan Ryan, etc). The ones that I just purchased I ended up selling later on because I had no attachment to them.

I will say that my view changes when the person is no longer alive. For example, I would like to get a Mantle signature.

lol At one point from 1998-1999 I had access albeit very LIMITED access to the NY Yankee clubhouse... a good friend asked his friend to do me a favor.

I have a Jeter autograph.  Unfortunately the friend of the friend lost his job with the Yankees for doing me that favor.  We were in our early 20's... Who knew the rules applied to us? 

50 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Does a signature on a book increase the book's FMV or decrease it?

Provide opinions or provide proof 

And when I say signature I'm talking about someone directly involved with that particular book

This is a strictly valuation question

Collectors collect for different reasons, it is nice to see your favorite artists signature on the book

And also it has to be in the same grade

Blue label vs Yellow label of the same book and grade

Depends on if you have a yellow Stan Lee on a common modern in a common grade or a yellow Robert Crumb highest graded copy

1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

And I don't care about the signature, which will probably blow your mind. I can't imagine paying for that, or let alone, waiting in line to getting a free signature.

I don't do the paid signature thing often.  The book in question in the now deleted NYComics thread was an example of a signature series book I like to buy.  I don't look at that like a comic book but more of an artifact of comic collecting.  It's weird.  With most people, I don't really care and I don't stand in line.  The only creators I have basic signatures on yellow labels outside of sketched covers are Stan, Romita, McFarlane, Adams, Hama, Steranko, and Shatner.  When it came to sketched covers, I thought it would be kinda cool to have an Allen Bellman and George Perez original when he was doing his thing.  I only stood in line for Hama and Perez... the others I just ordered or in the case of Adams or Steranko, just walked up to. 

To be honest... when it came to Steranko, I felt I was paying more for a few great stories and got a free signature.

Stan and Young.jpg

6 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

lol At one point from 1998-1999 I had access albeit very LIMITED access to the NY Yankee clubhouse... a good friend asked his friend to do me a favor.

I have a Jeter autograph.  Unfortunately the friend of the friend lost his job with the Yankees for doing me that favor.  We were in our early 20's... Who knew the rules applied to us? 

Jeter also is one of the most forged baseball signatures. As difficult a signature to forge as it may be for the kitchen table forgers, they try, 99% of them failing miserably, though they don't seem to let that get in their way of listing them anyway instead of throwing it right into the garbage once they stand back, compare, and get a good gander at it.

11 minutes ago, kav said:

Oh I meant photos and **** on ebay.  yellow slabs-sure those will command more than unsigned because of tight niche market for em on otherwise valueless books.

Ok that makes far more sense then.  lol I thought you were going to try and make a case that the majority of Shatner signed yellow labels are fake. 

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Ok that makes far more sense then.  lol I thought you were going to try and make a case that the majority of Shatner signed yellow labels are fake. 

Pretty sure I would be banned.

1 minute ago, kav said:

Pretty sure I would be banned.

Perfect lead in to the :wishluck: sign, but I'm not going to do it, because I wouldn't actually mean it.

Perfect lead in to the :wishluck: sign, but I'm not going to do it, because I wouldn't actually mean it.

:tap tap tap:

Edited by kav

Just now, kav said:

:taptaptap:

:D:wishluck: 

7 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Jeter also is one of the most forged baseball signatures. As difficult a signature to forge as it may be for the kitchen table forgers, they try, 99% of them failing miserably, though they don't seem to let that get in their way of listing them anyway instead of throwing it right into the garbage once they stand back, compare, and get a good gander at it.

Yeah, I would not have bought it... when I'm asked how I know my Jeter ball is real, I explain that the guy who asked DJ to sign it lost his job over it.  Apparently that's a big no no. 

For the rest of the sports stuff, my parents bought me an autographed DJ bat from Steiner.  I've trusted Steiner with other autographed balls and have yet to see anything in regards to their in-house signing sessions that would lead me to doubt them.  The only exception I know of was the Manning gaffe where Eli was sending them non-game used materials.  However, that is far different than a Steiner in house session or a live event where Steiner is facilitating the signatures. 

8 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

As CGC forum royalty, you damn well should be charging a pretty penny for your signature!  (worship)

lol 

I have two signature series CGC book with my name on it.  I do... I colored them.  

Anyone else remember when CGC ran that promotion? 

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

Yeah, I would not have bought it... when I'm asked how I know my Jeter ball is real, I explain that the guy who asked DJ to sign it lost his job over it.  Apparently that's a big no no. 

For the rest of the sports stuff, my parents bought me an autographed DJ bat from Steiner.  I've trusted Steiner with other autographed balls and have yet to see anything in regards to their in-house signing sessions that would lead me to doubt them.  The only exception I know of was the Manning gaffe where Eli was sending them non-game used materials.  However, that is far different than a Steiner in house session or a live event where Steiner is facilitating the signatures. 

I trust Steiner and UDA.

This has come up time and time again.  The value is in the eye of the beholder.  Some people want a Stan Lee signature on every single book out there (really dumb to me personally) and will pay more for a J Scott Campbell book signed by him.  (shrug)

Others (myself included) do not pay a premium for signatures and prefer books not to have them.  A signature to me takes away from the actual artwork on the front cover although some artists take the time to sign in the right areas (Clayton Crain comes to mind and Steranko is usually mindful of his signature placement).  It does seem like the right signature on the right book does command a slighter higher premium, say an AF15 with a clean Stan Lee signature (not a close to death signature that you can barely read).

The following sig series books have always sold at a significant premium for me in 8.0-9.4

ASM 50 -Romita

ASM 59 - Romita

ASM 129 - Romita

ASM 135 - Romita

ASM 238 - Romitas Sr and Jr

and in 9.8:

ASM 252 - Lee

ASM 298 - McFarlane

ASM 300 - Lee & McFarlane

ASM 300 - McFarlane

Hulk 340 - McFarlane & Romita

Hulk 340 - McFarlane

6 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

The following sig series books have always sold at a significant premium for me in 8.0-9.4

ASM 50 -Romita

ASM 59 - Romita

ASM 129 - Romita

ASM 135 - Romita

ASM 238 - Romitas Sr and Jr

and in 9.8:

ASM 252 - Lee

ASM 298 - McFarlane

ASM 300 - Lee & McFarlane

ASM 300 - McFarlane

Hulk 340 - McFarlane & Romita

Hulk 340 - McFarlane

That makes sense.  Books like ASM298 are known for McFarlane so having his name on the book would make sense to command a premium.

I would imagine that ASM 39 would follow suit as well with a Lee/Romita signature.  I know I paid a premium for mine in having both signatures on one of my copies. 

Good call. 

6 hours ago, Red84 said:

I trust Steiner and UDA.

One day I want to redo my basement.  It is furnished but it needs an update. I want the section in the wall or the cabinet with the autographed baseballs.  I have them ready to go... just need to update the basement.