• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhibit A
2 2

48 posts in this topic

Sold a book on eBay. Buyer is now stating the case is broken. It is not a newer style case that is completely sealed so the sides have some movement. Aside from it being an inconvenience, I am documenting it here in case he opens a case against me on eBay. I am providing the pictures he sent me in defense of his argument. 

case.png.dc1e8e9a75a082a0b41ae98a16750ab6.png

case1.png.27156da357f75987723209845700b5e2.png

Edited by joeypost

I'm sorry to hear that - the buyer sliding in that backing board looks painful to see (cringeworthy in fact as it probably is scratching the inner well).  You might want to post bigger pictures (if you have them) as those magnify to about the thumbnail size...

7 minutes ago, Sensei Ryan said:

I'm sorry to hear that - the buyer sliding in that backing board looks painful to see (cringeworthy in fact as it probably is scratching the inner well).  You might want to post bigger pictures (if you have them) as those magnify to about the thumbnail size...

"It is not a newer style case that is completely sealed"

4 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

"It is not a newer style case that is completely sealed"

I gathered that - I still think it sucks to see.  You can scratch the inner plastic by doing what the buyer did on the old style cases - it's cringeworthy.

43 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Sold a book on eBay. Buyer is now stating the case is broken. It is not a newer style case that is completely sealed so the sides have some movement. Aside from it being an inconvenience, I am documenting it here in case he opens a case against me on eBay. I am providing the pictures he sent me in defense of his argument. 

case.png.dc1e8e9a75a082a0b41ae98a16750ab6.png

case1.png.27156da357f75987723209845700b5e2.png

Yes Joey larger pics will make better case but dont edit this post then post will show edited so add larger pics in separate post so it will be time stamped.

Isn't that an accepted way of removing pre-Newton rings? I can understand a newbie being upset with what does look a bit funky.  Tell the guy about this thread and let him read what experienced collectors hav to say. It sux but its really easier just to refund and move on.

My understanding is that the case was designed that way.  It is welded at the corners, but not necessarily on the sides.  You can usually get the sides apart with any type of wedge-shaped item, like a screwdriver flat tip, etc., sometimes even just pulling on it by hand. 

The case is just for general protection and display.  the book is sealed in the insert.  There is nothing wrong with this CGC case.  It is tamper-evident (welded corners), not tamper-proof.  You have to educate the buyer.  And even with that, if they don't buy into that concept, you might have to take it back.  But that's kind of a rare situation.

Edited by Lightning55

1 hour ago, Lightning55 said:

My understanding is that the case was designed that way.  It is welded at the corners, but not necessarily on the sides.  You can usually get the sides apart with any type of wedge-shaped item, like a screwdriver flat tip, etc., sometimes even just pulling on it by hand. 

The case is just for general protection and display.  the book is sealed in the insert.  There is nothing wrong with this CGC case.  It is tamper-evident (welded corners), not tamper-proof.  You have to educate the buyer.  And even with that, if they don't buy into that concept, you might have to take it back.  But that's kind of a rare situation.

Yes the older slabs can "appear" to be defective on the sides to someone who's never seen them before. Hopefully it doesn't escalate to an opened case and the OP let's the buyer know that's how they were designed.

Who the heck knows whether Ebay is knowledgeable enough on this if the buyer wants to raise enough of a stink? I would guess not :eyeroll:. Probably best to communicate such details when selling older slabs before shipping to avoid these complaints  

2 hours ago, shadroch said:

Isn't that an accepted way of removing pre-Newton rings?

Well It's one way of dealing with them. I don't know that there's one "accepted" method. The drawback to that is the possibility of streaks or scratching from the cardboard being left behind as mentioned 

2 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

You're going to lose the case so just take the book back and refund his money. Give us his name so we can block him. The end.

+1 This.

Whether you're right or whether you're wrong, whether you find a place in this world or never belong!

Here. Tony can elaborate on this for you

3 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

You're going to lose the case so just take the book back and refund his money. Give us his name so we can block him. The end.

Not helping :baiting:

28 minutes ago, joeypost said:

No need. I pointed him to the thread, and it was enough for him to realize it is the way the case was designed. 

Joey knows what he's doing folks.