• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 heating up
8 8

1,679 posts in this topic

On 7/18/2022 at 6:43 PM, justafan said:

Wow, where/when did it sell for $16k?  GPA doesn't have any sales above the $9200 GPA high for a Direct Edition on Dec 15 2021  Everything since has been $6300 or lower. What are the private sales going for on newsstands? last recorded newsstand was only $4500. Last 9.9 went for less than the current newsstand 9.8.  Newsstands distribution numbers weren't that much less than their direct counterparts in 1988. even with the damages they may have sustained on the rack I guess a couple of competing bidders really want these 2 copies.

I believe he was referrencing the the signed copy. The GPA you pulled was unsigned. GPA has at least 5 signed copies selling for more than $10,000. The 5x signed copy sold in November 2020 for $15,000.

On 7/19/2022 at 11:03 AM, Shrevvy said:

I believe he was referrencing the the signed copy. The GPA you pulled was unsigned. GPA has at least 5 signed copies selling for more than $10,000. The 5x signed copy sold in November 2020 for $15,000.

:popcorn: Will be interesting if the seller makes his $ back on the $15,000 + taxes and shipping paid.

On 7/19/2022 at 12:41 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

5D7E0A10-8B14-47DA-AA2C-7302CB9742EF.jpeg

@jjonahjameson11 Found it from Nov. 2020

@valiantman Can you confirm if this is the one above listed on Heritage? Not sure what the cert number was.

@justafan

Same book

$15,000 November 27, 2020 - CGC Serial number: 1439550002

Heritage auction ends July 28, 2022 - CGC Serial number: 1439550002

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/the-amazing-spider-man-300-newsstand-edition-signature-series-marvel-1988-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/40196-81011.s

On 7/19/2022 at 4:46 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

I believe these copies are from the same owner? There is a Newsstand collection on Heritage up for auction now, with ~80 different titles and issue

2022 July 28 The 9.8 Newsstand Comics Showcase Auction #40196

That is an impressive collection of Copper and Modern newsstand 9.8s.
Interesting to see some bidders have pushed books to near eBay completed prices (SW books) with 8 days remaining; whilst others are probably waiting to snipe.

Capture.JPG

On 7/19/2022 at 7:52 PM, Troy Division said:

That is an impressive collection of Copper and Modern newsstand 9.8s.
Interesting to see some bidders have pushed books to near eBay completed prices (SW books) with 8 days remaining; whilst others are probably waiting to snipe.

Capture.JPG

I wouldn't think a signed copy will end lower than an unsigned copy. $11k is already a strong price for a Newsstand 9.8 and there are 8 days to go. 

On 7/19/2022 at 12:20 PM, whetteon said:

That's one damn fine comic tho. Everything I would want.my 9.8 to be.  Signed by Stan, Todd, and supporting staff... :nyah:

Are you sure that's what it is, as I thought it was somebody's scrawled shopping list or a fugly scrawled list of their previous lovers defacing the cover artwork?  lol  :fear:

On 7/20/2022 at 3:20 PM, lou_fine said:

Are you sure that's what it is, as I thought it was somebody's scrawled shopping list or a fugly scrawled list of their previous lovers defacing the cover artwork?  lol  :fear:

How old are you? 

On 7/20/2022 at 12:58 PM, Beastfeast said:

How old are you? 

Not sure since I am either so old that I can't remember anymore or still so young that I haven't yet learned how to count.  hm  lol

BTW:  Have you seen that signed copy of Hulk 181 that was posted on these boards here..........now that one was a real doozy for sure.  :fear:  :sick:

And are you one of those grumpy old men who are too old to have a sense of humour anymore?  :wink:

Edited by lou_fine

On 7/20/2022 at 2:03 PM, lou_fine said:

Not sure since I am either so old that I can't remember anymore or still so young that I haven't yet learned how to count.  hm  lol

BTW:  Have you seen that signed copy of Hulk 181 that was posted on these boards here..........now that one was a real doozy for sure.  :fear:  :sick:

And are you one of those grumpy old men who are too old to have a sense of humour anymore?  :wink:

hm I’d love to see it, do you have a link to the ole 181?

On 7/25/2022 at 7:25 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:
On 7/20/2022 at 1:03 PM, lou_fine said:

hm I’d love to see it, do you have a link to the ole 181?

Not a link, but probably just as good since it's a picture of the front cover of the book itself:  :insane:

Bronze Age (1970-1979):Superhero, The Incredible Hulk #181 Signature Series: Stan Lee and Others (Marvel, 1974) CGC VF+ 8.5 Off-white pages....

Hope he didn't miss anything from this scrawled shopping list or he just might find himself sleeping outside in the doghouse tonight.  lol

On 7/28/2022 at 2:24 AM, lou_fine said:

Not a link, but probably just as good since it's a picture of the front cover of the book itself:  :insane:

Bronze Age (1970-1979):Superhero, The Incredible Hulk #181 Signature Series: Stan Lee and Others (Marvel, 1974) CGC VF+ 8.5 Off-white pages....

Hope he didn't miss anything from this scrawled shopping list or he just might find himself sleeping outside in the doghouse tonight.  lol

:fear: Hulk where are you! His face is gone. I’d be crying if this was a 9.8 white.

On 7/28/2022 at 4:24 AM, lou_fine said:

Ouch, that's awful. I don't mind a very tasteful signature, but the recent SS trend is not good.

Dumb question, how is a news stand copy any great amount better than the dealer version? In the 80's I didn't notice where the difference came from. I always like the dealer version much better, I hated barcodes and the pictures were always nice enough. I don't know which my #300 is.

On 7/28/2022 at 4:24 AM, lou_fine said:

that is awful.  Who is going to buy that?

On 7/28/2022 at 1:14 PM, WolverineX said:

that is awful.  Who is going to buy that?

Someone who either collects those specific sigs, or someone manipulated into thinking they can make a buck

On 7/28/2022 at 11:45 AM, Peter Loves Gwen said:

Dumb question, how is a news stand copy any great amount better than the dealer version? In the 80's I didn't notice where the difference came from. I always like the dealer version much better, I hated barcodes and the pictures were always nice enough. I don't know which my #300 is.

Very simple answer in terms of rarity in grade.  :gossip:

Direct copies were brought by collectors from LCS's who knew how to care for and display their books for the condition fussy collectors/speculators, while the newsstand copies went straight to the spinning comic racks with the store owners not bothering to keep the books in top condition as they had so many other higher profit margin products to be concerned with.  hm