• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 heating up
8 8

1,679 posts in this topic

On 7/28/2022 at 12:14 PM, WolverineX said:

that is awful.  Who is going to buy that?

Someone who wouldn't buy a PLOD copy of this book because it has a nearly impossible to see teensy weensy drop of color touch on the book. (:

On 7/28/2022 at 3:48 PM, lou_fine said:

Very simple answer in terms of rarity in grade.  :gossip:

Direct copies were brought by collectors from LCS's who knew how to care for and display their books for the condition fussy collectors/speculators, while the newsstand copies went straight to the spinning comic racks with the store owners not bothering to keep the books in top condition as they had so many other higher profit margin products to be concerned with.  hm

Funny, and true, so just being more scarce. My 300 is a direct book from a dealer, I found the picture. I still like the picture in the box instead of a barcode.

Your answer reminds me of how I got my ASM 361's. The Carnage character was a surprise and no dealers bought enough, so there were none to be had, except from various book stores etc. Fortunately I knew where several stores were in town that I had seen comic racks in, where I never looked anyway. So I spent about two hours that first day driving around town to 5-10 various stores. I ended up with at least 40 copies, likely most around 9.2, and a very few approaching 9.6's. I ordered 40 of each of the next issue and the 2nd prints, plus the 363. It looks like all but most of the 363's and 362 2nd prints were good choices.

Now 365 was a bad bet, most of those had printing defects out of the new box(at the one dealer I went to). I got about five of those that I picked out, the rest all had too much spine damage. I've been surprised by so many 9.8 365's, obviously other boxes were handled better than at my dealer.

ASM 300 CGC front 9.6.jpg

Edited by Peter Loves Gwen

I believe that there is a new huge group of collectors who want the SS books far more than any non signature books. It has been a perfect storm for comics over the last 2-3 years, the Covid 19 world wide lock downs forcing people to stay home and find something new to do, the death of Stan Lee, plus the huge economic supply issues. A lot more people have begun collecting things in a serious way, all over the world.

On 7/29/2022 at 9:47 AM, Peter Loves Gwen said:

I believe that there is a new huge group of collectors who want the SS books far more than any non signature books. It has been a perfect storm for comics over the last 2-3 years, the Covid 19 world wide lock downs forcing people to stay home and find something new to do, the death of Stan Lee, plus the huge economic supply issues. A lot more people have begun collecting things in a serious way, all over the world.

Fairly self-serving opinion if I've ever . . . :roflmao:

On 7/30/2022 at 10:16 PM, divad said:

Fairly self-serving opinion if I've ever . . . :roflmao:

Hmm. I own probably 25 boxes of raw comics, and my ASM CGC collection that is now maybe still about 200. I only own two signed books, the only two I have ever bought. I plan to keep three books long term now, and two are those signed books, my AF15 and ASM 50(the only John Romita plus SL 9.4 copy). I like those signatures for myself, and not for a value change.

On 7/28/2022 at 1:24 AM, lou_fine said:

Not a link, but probably just as good since it's a picture of the front cover of the book itself:  :insane:

Bronze Age (1970-1979):Superhero, The Incredible Hulk #181 Signature Series: Stan Lee and Others (Marvel, 1974) CGC VF+ 8.5 Off-white pages....

Hope he didn't miss anything from this scrawled shopping list or he just might find himself sleeping outside in the doghouse tonight.  lol

That's a freakin' travesty. :sumo:

After falling 50% from its peak high, it appears as though 9.8 Blues with white pages are inching their way upwards again.  Not sure if this is a temporary blip due to the announced McFarlane signing as it's too soon to tell if there will be ongoing upwards momentum, but prices sure seem to be rising..

On 10/1/2022 at 8:17 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

After falling 50% from its peak high, it appears as though 9.8 Blues with white pages are inching their way upwards again.  Not sure if this is a temporary blip due to the announced McFarlane signing as it's too soon to tell if there will be ongoing upwards momentum, but prices sure seem to be rising..

The signing would definitely cause an uptick 

Outside of that, I see no reason for direct 9.8s to go up in value right now 

On 10/2/2022 at 2:07 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I was at a local show today and the slabbed 9.4’s and 9.6’s were on several dealers’ walls…priced aggressively.  Likewise for the other key McBooks: Batman 423, Spawn 1, Hulk 340, ASM 317, and even adjectiveless Spiderman #1…and they were selling!

Because of the McSigning....no?

On 10/2/2022 at 2:08 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Because of the McSigning....no?

I believe so.  I guess we’ll find out in late Nov, after the deadline for the McSigning has passed.

whike we’re on the topic of McFarlane, has anyone else noticed how difficult it’s become to find the Spawn/Batman one-shot from the mid-90’s?

The print run must have been huge so why is there so copies in the wild?

On 10/2/2022 at 11:12 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I believe so.  I guess we’ll find out in late Nov, after the deadline for the McSigning has passed.

whike we’re on the topic of McFarlane, has anyone else noticed how difficult it’s become to find the Spawn/Batman one-shot from the mid-90’s?

The print run must have been huge so why is there so copies in the wild?

They seem to be all over Ebay.  Even I own one....

748299686_Scan_20220128(6).thumb.jpg.c4a226517e52567dc689ed2f5e0e18c6.jpg