• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

6,089 posts in this topic

On 2/9/2023 at 9:23 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Nobody back them even dreamed that decades in the future these trivia would come to the attention of a bunch whose focus on minutiae would put a trainspotter to shame.

Although I think that changed pretty quickly, maybe depending on where you were. I remember my Dad thought my comic collection was a childish waste of money until the first time I got him to take me to Dark They Were (this would be about 1977). The prices of the wall comics alone gave him an instant education....and he was even enough of a gent to say so. 

On 2/17/2023 at 5:37 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Nice pair of legs on the Witch, as she looks on aghast at the manspreading of the alpha males in the foreground.

Jack Kirby signature pose.

Once the lack of Jennie Taylia in Marble comics had been pointed out to me, I couldn't stop seeing it (not.)

On 2/24/2023 at 6:28 PM, Malacoda said:

So, you know how the whole run of Where Creatures Roam is ND...?

image.thumb.png.1300216779847b35dcf5c2007f978b0e.png

Well....

image.thumb.jpeg.54567ae0fb1517d05ebef63273759835.jpeg

image.jpeg.b4a768d50fee74e37e78db513a3ad2cc.jpeg

Did they stow away then? I bet they had to quarantine to ensure no ticks & fleas entered UK soil. A few of these in my LCS which I shall inspect next time I'm there, for traces of Thorpe & Porteriness.

On 2/25/2023 at 4:20 PM, Garystar said:

Well Duncan McAlpine when in print would disagree;

I love Duncan's website, but there are a truly startling number of errors on it, including quite a few like this where he seems to point out his own error.  I think he ought to check in with whoever fact-checks his website as I suspect this person has been dead for some while. 

On 2/25/2023 at 12:49 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

Did they stow away then? I bet they had to quarantine to ensure no ticks & fleas entered UK soil. A few of these in my LCS which I shall inspect next time I'm there, for traces of Thorpe & Porteriness.

Pretty sure it's just 5 & 6 (though if there is another stampey, #4 would be my bet).   I was looking at the period December 70 to June 71 and these were the only ones that were ND (apart from Kid Colt, but that was never distributed again after printing moved to Sparta).  This seemed a bit weird to me so I checked and presto bongo, there are stamps for 5 and 6.  I thought 4 might be a contender too, but everyone seems to agree it was ND.  

On 2/12/2023 at 10:21 AM, Malacoda said:

Blimey.  They couldn't give JIM 109 away at the time, now worth up to a grand a pop. I think I'll ask my mate Vic for a lend of his time machine. 

Picture 1 of 5

And how many kids thumbed past this in the racks, and put it back, as it was obviously overpriced at a tanner.

comicdd1 (2).jpg

On 2/25/2023 at 7:44 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

And how many kids thumbed past this in the racks, and put it back, as it was obviously overpriced at a tanner.

comicdd1 (2).jpg

But six (6) of those old pennies could buy you such a fortune in gobstoppers, stink bombs or even a catapult. What was a boy to do? Dream about mischief reading a comic, or get out there and create some! (I'd have bought the DD.)

Just a pennorth of gobstoppers left you short of the required six.

Edited by LowGradeBronze

On 2/25/2023 at 7:44 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Imagine if you'd bought 2 & 3 and were kicking yourself for not buying no 1 when suddenly this re-appeared in the rack for sixpence. Happy days. 

Extremely well distributed title, DD.  Apart from the 74 and & 81 hiatuses, there are only 3 random issues that are ND (so 7 in total). Of the main titles, it has the smallest number of ND issues. 

On 2/26/2023 at 11:35 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

This morning's effort from an idea last night. thumbing through my ST collection. (with apologies to Dan Adkins...)

Brilliant & hilarious. Just for anyone struggling to remember the original (which was me)....

I like the way you turned the giant machine glass into a T&P stamp.  

Picture 1 of 1