• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

6,073 posts in this topic

On 1/3/2023 at 11:21 AM, Albert Tatlock said:

The old year will be next year's good old days.

That's the spirit, Leonard! 

422106426_GoodOldDays.gif.fedca84ad356fca915c4502a383ffc62.gif

On 1/4/2023 at 3:06 PM, Malacoda said:

Another one bites the dust....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64163755

Yep, whatever comic-related secrets he held have been taken to the grave.

A common comment at times like this is 'we shall not see his like again'.

Amen to that.

Edited by Albert Tatlock
add 1 word

On 1/4/2023 at 3:06 PM, Malacoda said:

Another one bites the dust....

That's a shame. A good long, interesting life though. Comics and West Ham. As my Dad used to say, "Well that's pretty good"

RIP 

On 1/5/2023 at 8:39 AM, nmtg9 said:

What was his link to comics? 

Gold Star:

Capture.thumb.PNG.f11b024e6ed3629e95b25471724dc3ac.PNG

Here's a link to his autobiography, which is a fun read with comic related exploits in the early sections:

http://www.davidgold.co.uk/Autobiography/Autobiography.pdf

He also part-owned Moore Harness, a niche high street distributor which was set up in the 60's to distribute alternative, counter-culture publications like Private Eye & Oz (later Viz and Time Out).  They became the UK distributor for DC after Windham shut T&P down. 

On 1/5/2023 at 10:28 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Here's a link to his autobiography, which is a fun read with comic related exploits in the early sections:

Fully agree it's a fun read and clearly not really ghost written. It has the rambling '...and another thing....' feel of someone you got chatting to in a pub, which I think is deliberate.  That said, I think the bits that Albert & I quoted back on page 182/3 are literally the sum total of the comic related info. 

@Get Marwood & I @Albert Tatlock  Would you agree, gents, that he just kind of blasts past all the stuff we'd be interested in? One minute he's buying up the lease on 4 shops in London and the next minute he's a running an airline, a football team and Anne Summers.  

On 1/5/2023 at 2:24 PM, Malacoda said:

Fully agree it's a fun read and clearly not really ghost written. It has the rambling '...and another thing....' feel of someone you got chatting to in a pub, which I think is deliberate.  That said, I think the bits that Albert & I quoted back on page 182/3 are literally the sum total of the comic related info. 

@Get Marwood & I @Albert Tatlock  Would you agree, gents, that he just kind of blasts past all the stuff we'd be interested in? One minute he's buying up the lease on 4 shops in London and the next minute he's a running an airline, a football team and Anne Summers.  

Yes, on reflection it is rather limited on the comic anecdote front. Hopefully Neil hasn't gone out and bought a copy following my earlier, somewhat misleading comment :wishluck:

On 1/5/2023 at 10:28 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Gold Star:

Capture.thumb.PNG.f11b024e6ed3629e95b25471724dc3ac.PNG

http://www.davidgold.co.uk/Autobiography/Autobiography.pdf

Good catch on Portman.  I completely forgot about them. Strange that Gold took on another imprint for these when they were already distributing Conan and DHOKF through Gold Star, but then they presumably bought the company for it's portfolio. It's weird that Transworld stamped their little feet about these but let others which were more central to the MU be reprinted (....but then I'm probably getting confused. Conan was actually reprints but DHOKF were imports).  

On 1/5/2023 at 2:38 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Yes, on reflection it is rather limited on the comic anecdote front. Hopefully Neil hasn't gone out and bought a copy following my earlier, somewhat misleading comment :wishluck:

Well, given that you pasted a PDF of the whole book, I think your conscience is clear. 

image.gif.b69ea9c2474a7b760c92b0263a458ea4.gif

On 12/17/2022 at 9:47 PM, Malacoda said:

It would indeed surely have been Millers.  Gold lived at 442 Green St Newham.  Millers, which was at 342 Hackney Road, is about a 30-40 minute bus ride.  

Speaking of David Gold corrections, I should pull myself up on this one.  This could also have been United Anglo American on the Holloway Road. They advertised their reprints of US comics as 'American comics'. 

Cover for Airboy Comics (Streamline, 1951 series) #[nn]

On 1/5/2023 at 2:24 PM, Malacoda said:

Would you agree, gents, that he just kind of blasts past all the stuff we'd be interested in? One minute he's buying up the lease on 4 shops in London and the next minute he's a running an airline, a football team and Anne Summers.  

Yes, he liked to get his finger in as much as possible.

Picked up this UK Cow Puncher 4 with some nice GGA on the cover.

I noticed that the innards have 2 staples and then the cover was added with 1 staple later (so 3 staples total).  Was that common for some UK titles in the 40's?  Or is this just a freak manufacturing defect.

I don't see this comic in the GCD..... is this super rare?

IMG_4867.jpeg

IMG_4868.jpeg

IMG_4869.jpeg

Edited by gadzukes

On 1/6/2023 at 8:29 AM, gadzukes said:

Picked up this UK Cow Puncher 4 with some nice GGA on the cover.

I noticed that the innards have 2 staples and then the cover was added with 1 staple later (so 3 staples total).  Was that common for some UK titles in the 40's?  Or is this just a freak manufacturing defect.

I don't see this comic in the GCD..... is this super rare?

IMG_4867.jpeg

IMG_4868.jpeg

IMG_4869.jpeg

My guess... and it's purely a guess... is that the interiors were printed with the US editions, then the cover was added at another stage.  Maybe they shipped the interiors over and printed the covers in the UK?  It's not remaindered, given that the cover matches the interior correctly.