• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

6,087 posts in this topic

On 2/26/2023 at 3:58 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

Anyone spot the deliberate mistake? The T&P stamp should be in reverse. (Deliberate my @rse.) Doc Strange figure is from ST161, Adkins first issue as artist. 

You mean because the stamp is supposed to be coming through the air towards him, not hit the page yet? True, I guess so. 

Is the Nick Fury stand in your good self?  

Not directly relevant, but interesting  The Mexicans ran out of originals long before we did here and started creating their own Spider Man continuity in which Gwen lived. 

Also, I thought Transworld had the worldwide licence outside US/Can, but seems not (though maybe it was Transworld that got the licence after 1974.  Can't see our pal Al letting anyone else have it!). 

When Peter Parker Married Gwen Stacy In Mexican Spider-Man Comics (bleedingcool.com)

On 3/1/2023 at 2:44 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

Last night's attempt at a Bats spoof, apologies this time to Murphy Anderson: 

Batman 228 Spoof.jpg

I particularly like the writing on the spine.  Now that's what I call attention to detail!

Batman 228 - Batman - Netted In The Jungle - Giant Bowling Alley - Giant Heat Lamp - Drown - Curt Swan, Murphy Anderson

Lovely parody. I like the way the bowling ball becomes the stamp - that was just waiting to happen. 

You have to say this Curt Swan/Murphy Anderson cover is quite campy like the TV series.  It stands out in a run of much darker Neal Adams cover.  

Batman 229 - Dc Comics - Robin Solo Story - Asylum - Sanitarium - Batman Captured - Dick Giordano, Neal Adams

FF 55 is an interesting  comic.  It's almost an honourary 66-er  (ND, second hiatus).  There actually are PV's of it, so it definitely was distributed, but you seldom see them ( e.g. there are 12 copies for sale in the UK on ebay right now, 2 are PV's, the other 10 are non-stamped cents issues, so picked up by collectors or imported by dealers). 

Even when they are PV's, well, Ethel was clearly not expecting this one to be a pence issue....

Picture 1 of 9

And then there's Maud.....

image.thumb.jpeg.1aeac644313652122399a8f986d4910b.jpeg

On 3/5/2023 at 9:05 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

This is a REALLY bad listing.  Obviously, the auctioneer thought it was SS 4 not FM 4, but then this would be a massive undercall for SS 4 in this condition. But then you read the description and it's down as GD to VG.  This is about the best 3.0 I've ever seen.  This whole listing is wrong in EVERY way.  It is indeed both a fantasy and a masterpiece. 

Don't know on the 8p stamp.  We need One Who Knows to put his stamping hat back on. 

Edited by Malacoda

On 3/5/2023 at 9:05 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

And did we ever find out who was applying these 8p, and similar stamps?

comicdemon2 (2).jpg

My research into Charlton, cross-referenced to DC, leads me to believe that this is just an unbranded T&P stamp Albert. The transition from the branded T&P 7p stamp to the branded 8p stamp included the use of unbranded stamps and stickers during the early months of 1974. It's an interesting distribution period overall, leading up to the 4th Marvel UKPV hiatus. 

On 3/6/2023 at 1:49 AM, Malacoda said:

This is a REALLY bad listing.  Obviously, the auctioneer thought it was SS 4 not FM 4, but then this would be a massive undercall for SS 4 in this condition. But then you read the description and it's down as GD to VG.  This is about the best 3.0 I've ever seen.  This whole listing is wrong in EVERY way.  It is indeed both a fantasy and a masterpiece. 

They have been prodded into action, here is the reply:

Hello

Thank you for your email.

Yes, this is being looked into at the moment. Extra comics will be added to this lot. 

Regards

Vanessa

On 3/6/2023 at 12:38 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Thank you for your email.

Yes, this is being looked into at the moment. Extra comics will be added to this lot. 

Regards

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/britishtoyauctions/catalogue-id-bta10141/lot-baf07e37-db61-4492-8033-afba00a6981a

Sanity has prevailed.

Oh, the perfidy of auctioneers...

Maybe I should have kept my big mouth shut!

We're adding photos of all the comics now. We've just realised there is an X-Men no1 in the lot so we may have  undervalued it!

If you require any further information about any lots in this auction or about bidding please do not hesitate to contact us again.
Kind regards,

Reeman Dansie

On 3/6/2023 at 5:32 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Oh, the perfidy of auctioneers...

Maybe I should have kept my big mouth shut!

Must be listed separately. As you'd expect.  The only X men in there is V2 #13, which isn't exactly going to require crowd control. 

On 3/6/2023 at 5:49 PM, Malacoda said:

Must be listed separately. As you'd expect.  The only X men in there is V2 #13, which isn't exactly going to require crowd control. 

They will have to hold it over until another day, because this sale is tomorrow.

The original listing was for a scruffy boxful of British and US stuff, only ones visible were a few Alan Class and Strange Tales # 79 (UKPV).

I asked for a list, and they have withdrawn it.

87706070-depressed-emoticon-making-a-suicide-finger-gun-gesture.webp

On 3/6/2023 at 1:49 AM, Malacoda said:

Now, unless someone here has knowledge of how to resurrect old digital postings, (currently outwith my capabilities), we will never be able to see again just how out of touch (in this case at least) auction houses are to our requirements.

Of course, their bottom line and ours seldom, if ever, coincide.