• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Thrilling, Amazing, Startling, Wonder-ful Future of Science Fiction Pulps
7 7

138 posts in this topic

An interesting little aside with Hugo Gernsback - in addition to Amazing Stories, Science and Invention, Radio News, etc. he had this one

FrenchHumorv01n171927-11-05cover.thumb.webp.53e0f3e21e7176aa06e6965e74728c4f.webp

Supposedly, Hugo did all the translations himself :D

House ad from a different issue (Amazing Stories Annual we've had on this thread there, also I didn't realize he'd published Sam Loyd stuff)

French Humor v01n08 (1927-09-03.Experimenter) page 23 House Ad for Gernsback Pubs

Masthead/indicia page

French Humor v01n08 (1927-09-03.Experimenter) page 03 Masthead/Indicia

An example ish at the IA:

https://archive.org/details/french-humor-v-01n-08-1927-09-03.-experimenter-dm-ia

Ah, Super Science Stories.  In many ways, a dumping ground for lesser stories big name writers couldn't place elsewhere.  Always worth a look, and most issues have a gem hidden, but they can be underwhelming until you figure out what the magazine is like.

On 4/1/2024 at 9:45 PM, OtherEric said:

A digest in today from @Randall Dowling.  From a purely speculative viewpoint, I expect this one to become scarce on the ground fairly quickly as people realize it's one of the only girls in tubes covers that hasn't gone ballistic already:

Fantastic 1955 08.jpg

Not to mention an important first appearance 

Polish_20240418_150907085.thumb.jpg.4a2da1a24d36b80393e9c218a565bc84.jpg

On 4/18/2024 at 9:39 AM, OtherEric said:

Ah, Super Science Stories.  In many ways, a dumping ground for lesser stories big name writers couldn't place elsewhere.  Always worth a look, and most issues have a gem hidden, but they can be underwhelming until you figure out what the magazine is like.

I would disagree to a point. Some amazing covers with interior art by Finlay, Paul and Bok. I also enjoy the Ray Bradbury stories although I haven’t read them cover to cover.

IMG_8786.jpeg

IMG_8787.jpeg

On 4/20/2024 at 12:11 PM, lpsunburst said:

Not related to Marvel Science Stories (different publisher), but a "marvel" just the same.

Scan_20240420.jpg

It is the same publisher, Goodman.  But it may have a different indicia publisher.  It also has Al Williamson's only illustration for the Pulps that I'm aware of.

On 4/20/2024 at 5:27 PM, OtherEric said:

It is the same publisher, Goodman.  But it may have a different indicia publisher.  It also has Al Williamson's only illustration for the Pulps that I'm aware of.

Thank you! I was not aware of that, I did check my Bookery's though and you are absolutely correct.