• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hubba Hubba show your "Girly" Pulps!
8 8

290 posts in this topic

Thanks, Jack. 

The covers are mostly repaired via a somewhat painstaking process with a clone stamp/brush in photoshop. There's also an whole array of tools I use in color adjustment or different layer pattern and color fills to de-age a cover or even just give it a little extra zing for a digital presentation.  I don't spend as long as a dude at the museum in a physical restoration, but it can get pretty deep, especially if I'm working with a highly damaged item (which you end up having to do for scarce or expensive pubs).  Working from something minty shortens things a bit :D  And just having nice copies of something to look at can help me get the colors to where they need to be if I'm working from a faded copy.  When you get a cover treatment just how you're happy with, it's a great feeling.

As far as general scan tutorials go - which mostly regard the processing of images for cover to cover scans - I did some so far back that they are likely obsolete.  There are a number of "comic scanning guides" out there in the wild that do a good job of covering the basics.  In the pulpscans group at io they also have a number of nice tutorials on processing images even if that's mainly for working with a lot of text (pulps).

I did a long tutorial just last weekend in the pulpscans group that likely bored anybody that actually read it to death where I took a pulp apart to scan it and then showed a process for making a salvageable copy afterwards.  It would likely give the collectors here a goddamned heart attack :D

I have been blessed with lots of help over the years.  Some more like interns (I teamed up with a lot of younger kids in my earlier days just to spread the love of scanning and some vintage comics) and some like partners or even teachers (McCoy having helped me with an innumerable number of scans).  A lot of the time it's just me, though.  I'm hardly the most prolific scanner I know these days.  One pal does a magazine a day.  Pulps, slicks, dime novels, sweats, you name it (but no comics, ha).  It can be an obsession.  I left the hobby for a long time and am now playing catch up with some of these fierce newcomers, which I love.  Automation certainly can be a helpful tool, but even the best with automation (not me) have to be meticulous proofers to make sure everything looks right.

Honestly, it's been quite liberating just to post my raw covers here minus any photoshop work, these mags are beautiful just the way they are :banana:

Edited by Darwination

In the mail today, an upgrade (great color!) - a favorite cover from George/Oscar/Jack/Otto Greiner. It makes me feel better about a most wanted that got away today on eBay, but I'm still singing the girlie pulp collectors blues (get out of my playhouse, new bloods! :P).  It's ok, these birds of paradise are spreading good cheer.

Gayetyv01n10(1933-08.Shade)coverGreiner.thumb.jpg.eb34a3e7d1099d78796eefd09995ecec.jpg

Bigger than your standard girlie pulp in this era,  Gayety (later Paris Gayety) is a gorgeous mag in the Shade line.  Sure, Pep may have Enoch Bolles or Bergey covers and more name authors, but Paris Nights is bringing high production values, neat design features, and underappreciated artists like Jack Greiner and Harry Moskovitz along with a solid claim to being the first of the girlie pulps.

Check out the design from this issue.  Neat use of red inks along side the black for some flair (Ward Story centerfold)
20230924_012820.thumb.jpg.dc2cf85e2b1fec57051fd4a624b50897.jpg

20230924_012901.thumb.jpg.045837ff3525dfbacea5d0518f175629.jpg

Nice sepia photos to contrast with a blue ink in the slick photo sections

20230924_013417.thumb.jpg.817b52b3410811e2a4b70ad0f070097c.jpg

20230924_013428.thumb.jpg.e30de1b693cb6797551ac6cf20061b98.jpg

20230924_013517.thumb.jpg.19b55d0c42237c64436034df9ac7c288.jpg

Edited by Darwination

Show me your girlies, people, even these mooks are throwing down.  Who has the issues or some images? I don't think I have em in my files and don't see them at Galactic Central.

The cover on the left is a Dealton Valentine probably 1923 to 1925, and the Saucy I'm less sure of a range.  Those seem pretty scarce.  The Fictionmags cover index could use help with both of these titles if you are holding. 

The one on the right is an actual photograph but it was pasted on something and the handwriting is obscured, so no help there.  A man at sea does need a little cheer from time to time.

MonkeywithSnappyStoriesPostcardandSailorwithSaucyStoriesphotodateunknown.thumb.jpg.dd690357675aac0a81aa4b914a3200c4.jpg

Edited by Darwination