• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hubba Hubba show your "Girly" Pulps!
8 8

290 posts in this topic

On 10/4/2023 at 11:14 PM, Darwination said:

Playboy1976-08v23n08coverbutterflygirl.thumb.jpg.1d693b2cff5c30784c707f6bbd10da56.jpg

On 10/8/2023 at 9:49 AM, OtherEric said:

the artist was identified as Dennis Magdich

Seems like a Petty riff...  I wish there were more Petty covers.  Rigid Tools calendars have been heating up.

Smokehouse Monthly (riffing on the need for toilet paper in the outhouse) was a humor digest (I'd call it a magazine) coming out of the popularity of Fawcett's Captain Billy's Whiz-Bang which pretty much launched a magazine (and later paperback) empire.  That Wild Cherries above is a humor digest, too.  Although it does have a bit of fiction.  That title usually gets grouped in with the girlie pulps because of the style of the cover art and art deco elements, but it has a lot in common with a magazine like this one (not to mention some common artists).

SmokehouseMonthlyv13n96(1935-12.Popular)cover.thumb.jpg.45abfe6a4f65a7c58191ddf6691599e7.jpg

The early Whiz-Bang are almost all text, but it quickly started to add illustrations and photos and maybe move to a format with shorter jokes. 

There's definitely some covers on these lines of digests that I'd put in the school of girlie pulp art (not like this one I've posted, though, as it's so cartoonish).  And some girlie pulp regulars like Peter Driben would feature regularly on the cover of later digests in the Timely Atlas line.

Edited by Darwination

Sat down with the above ish in the Smokehouse last night.  I didn't go too crazy on the cover, as nasty yellows are always a pain and sometimes slapping lipstick on a mule is about all you can do.

SmokehouseMonthly1935-12p001 cover (Darwin Edit)

https://www.mediafire.com/file_premium/a4rp8kxheco6m1g/Smokehouse_Monthly_v13n096_%281935-12.Fawcett%29_%28Darwination%29.cbr/file

https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/?dlid=35555

https://archive.org/details/smokehouse-monthly-96-1935-12.-fawcett-darwin-ia

Having an empty nest this year, I was recently joking with the Mrs. about fear of a late life arrival, so I got a kick out of this one:

SmokehouseMonthly1935-12p060

Nice!  :x

There was a large collection that went up there a while back with pretty much ridiculous prices that have steadily come down over time.  I picked one or two must have books as soon as I discovered them and have picked up others as the prices have come down.   I recently purchased the most expensive book I've ever gotten there (which I haven't displayed here yet) at $300 and am pleased as hell to have it (the picture was horrible and they wouldn't give me a new one so I had to trust their grade which turned out accurate like almost everything I've gotten from them) which is saying something for a guy like me who used to consider 100 dollars as a big swing in this area.  I pretty much still do consider that mark a big swing, but I lose a lot, and it wouldn't surprise me too much if 100 bucks is the average price an issue in mid-grade goes for these days.  The few "old time" girlie collectors I know are flummoxed by all of it.  Sure they are worth more which is nice if you have them but on the other hand how the hell will you ever get the ones you still want? (:

The MCS girlie stock is moving much more swiftly now, as the prices are more reasonable (and even good) in some cases.  Definitely interesting to see how a comics biz prices and grades and what the consigner (I assume) has wanted for them.

The Nifty Stories Greiner is one I considered a number of times, and it makes me jealous looking at it, and I don't mind saying that I've had that La Paree in my cart for months (very good price and the issues it has aren't a dealbreaker for me at all).

The artist is unidentified, but I think it's peculiar and lovely.  A high-ish grade copy recently went for like 250 I think on eBay.

The Bergey is interesting, too, with the hard sort of outline.

I also had the la paree in my cart for a while 😄  as well as the other $20 copy.  Came across the nifty on ebay, and it pairs well with a bedtime stories I have so finally had to put an order together.  Yah when the girlies first hit I was shocked at the prices, but I wasn't sure if the prices were coming down or I was just becoming numb to them.  What still surprises me is what random mid grade pep stories sell for on ebay now 🤔 

The Kump girlie auction at HA was pure insanity.  Prices have been going up for a while but the last year has been nuts.  Cold speculation in a lot of pulp areas with the coming of CGC, but we will see.

I have watched the girlies pretty closely for about 15 years.  There are still so many issues I've never seen once and many others only once.  Something like Pep or Spicy isn't like that (pretty sure Pep was Donenfeld's main meal ticket before Spicy Detective came along), but there are stretches of far more htf issues even in the main titles.  And if you are including some of the earlier Breezy/Snappy Stories romance books, for very high circulation titles, they can be ghosty..

My peeve right now are the flippers.  There's one who buys with one account and sells with another who always beats me in auction.  A girlie I had never seen was up, and I took good swing, 200 plus, very high for me.  The winner got it, cleaned and maybe pressed and now and lists it a week later for $500.  All is fair in love and war, I guess, and I might occasionally pick a book up to flip, but I would far rather get beat by a fellow collector. 

Still, it has been a few neat years as maybe higher prices have shaken the tree.  I still marvel when some amazing girlie I never knew existed pops up out of nowhere :bigsmile:

Edited by Darwination

Paris_Nights_v12n10_1934-06_cover_Greine

I love this one with the little monkey and the leapordskin, adorable.

Sidenote: I notice moire only sometimes with just dragging and dropping here, might have to do with various page widths as they are sized for the site.  If I drop a Discord link (which is actually a much higher resolution most of the time) the moire goes away.  Or just resizing the image in the first place can fix it, too.   I've never understood the wonders of moire, only the horrors :kidaround:

Edited by Darwination

Love, love, love Vargas girls :x   The guy sold a lot of Esquires.

Vargas did make some appearances in girlie pulp adjacent material in the mid-20s in places like Burten's Follies and Ziff's.  There's a lot of highjacked stuff in that era from foreign sources (the French predominately), but I'm pretty sure Vargas sold some work directly to American publishers.  Whether Cap'n Joey paid for this one or jacked it, I do not know, but he sure seemed to like this Turkey (not the greatest lol), as he used it in 1925, 1929, and 1933

BurtensFollies1925-11coverVargas.JPG.7a6b4c39269d9deb58cfdf2a48831091.JPG

BurtensFollies1929-11v04n02coverVargas.thumb.jpg.a9b491b5b32acf42563a6975c65c119f.jpg

BurtensFollies1933-11v10n03.BurtencoverVargas.thumb.jpg.ac579ab2997e10b9b043aa6431fc3965.jpg

I better post a better Vargas to refresh the eyes, woof, or rather me-yow.

Varga_Gurk_with_Black_Cat_1919_-_Alberto

Edited by Darwination