• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zack Snyder's JUSTICE LEAGUE on HBO Max (3/18/21)
4 4

2,339 posts in this topic

It's rooted in comic-book convention, but it's now told with a skillful grandeur that trumps the "Avengers" saga.

It takes an extraordinarily diverse skill set to direct a great comic-book movie. You’ve got to be a visual-effects wizard; a maestro of story and pace; a popcorn humanist who can find the relatable dimension of a bunch of freaks in capes and breastplates and spandex; and enough of an artist to tie the whole thing together into an indelible Big Vision. It’s no wonder that in the years since Hollywood got eaten alive by comic-book culture, the superhero movies that have achieved a genuine sweeping transcendence can just about be counted on one hand: “The Dark Knight,” “Spider-Man 2,” “Black Panther,” a few others.

The new “Justice League” exudes a majestic sense of cosmic historical evil. Its tone is less reminiscent of other DC or Marvel movies than of Peter Jackson’s “Lord of the Rings” trilogy. The camaraderie among the superheroes is vastly deepened — with the cheeseball wisecracks excised, they develop a moving affinity for each other. In one of many examples of how sharpened Snyder’s filmmaking is, Ezra Miller’s Flash is introduced with far wittier dialogue than anything Joss Whedon came up with, followed by a mesmerizing bullet-time sequence in which he saves a young woman from a car accident — an episode that beautifully sets up the hidden empathy of his speed-of-light character. Gal Gadot’s Diana has the stalwart but tensely trepidatious presence that got fumbled in “Wonder Woman 1984,” Ray Fisher’s Cyborg has acquired the resonance of a half-machine Hamlet, and Ben Affleck’s Batman is like a different character: With all that Ben-friendly banter gone, he embraces the gruff-voiced, dread-tinged, sinister Bruce with sterling command.

Beyond that, this has to be one of the most visually spellbinding comic-book movies ever made. The clashing battles never give you that weary, here’s-some-more-CGI feeling, because they’ve been staged with a supreme conviction that’s more “Seven Samurai” than super invincible. Ciarán Hinds’ Steppenwolf, with his horns of evil, is still the prime antagonist, but while he seemed a trifle effete in the 2017 version, here he has been reimagined as a splendid hulk covered in gleaming herringbone platelets that bristle with his emotion, and he’s also a disgraced assassin who will stoop to the unspeakable. “Justice League” ends with what may be the best post-comic-book-movie teaser ever, as Jesse Eisenberg’s Lex Luthor and then Jared Leto’s Joker hold court in twin lectures of doom that make you hungry to see the movies they promise. It’s not just that these characters are back. So is the thing that too many comic-book films have destroyed: the sensation that something’s at stake.

Man of Steel re-watch: 4.7/5

Grader Notes: There is 1 scene that the colors are 'muted'; When Superman turns himself in and is sitting at the table with Lois Lane. It's also one of the only indoor scenes, so that may have something to do with it. There are only 2 instances that you can say, "Superman caused the destruction of Metropolis"; When he skips over the truck that Zod throws at him, and when he runs his face across the side of a building. I don't mind the way that Jon Kent dies, but I'm not 100% on-board, either.

There are some moments that - surprisingly - hit me more emotionally than ever before. This movie is visually ahead of its time with VFX that will rival and exceed movies of this current decade. The opening on Krypton is executed to perfection, and the acting for Lara-El is also perfection. Clark/Superman goes out of his way to save people his whole life, and it is shown on-screen more than 5 times. There are so many small and meaningless details held throughout, such as sand on the bottom of Superman's cape when he walks up the steps of Faora-Ul's ship. As for the "30 minute fight at the end", well, it only felt like 10 minutes to me. (shrug)

Ultimately, it stands the test of time as a visually-stunning and realistic story about Superman's (not Clark's) origins, with a tremendous soundtrack.

19 hours ago, Oddball said:

And the negative comments about the run time is just lame. Don’t watch it in the theater if your bladder or attention span can’t handle it. I love long epics (at home) and this one will be savored.

I recently watched Kingdom of Heaven directors cut at home and felt it was a perfect for a home watch 

50 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I recently watched Kingdom of Heaven directors cut at home and felt it was a perfect for a home watch 

A fantastic movie. So many great actors. And incredible visuals and storytelling throughout. Glad we got it all.

47 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

I highly doubt that it's better than Infinity War, but we'll find out tomorrow!

Disney appreciates all of your box office contributions. To include seeing Captain Marvel twice at the theater.

:baiting:

Waterboy_CM.gif.e0509cef1d5cdce2aa45ae4e0a08bcc2.gif

10 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Disney appreciates all of your box office contributions. To include seeing Captain Marvel twice at the theater.

:baiting:

Waterboy_CM.gif.e0509cef1d5cdce2aa45ae4e0a08bcc2.gif

And The Last Jedi. :sick:

Hey, it's not my fault that my parents got divorced. At least that's what the deranged therapist said...

I think that The First Avenger was the last comic book movie that I saw in theaters only once. After then, through Age of Ultron, I saw them with my dad and then with my friends. Beginning in Phase 3, I started taking my mom when all of my friends either were getting married or moving away.

Edit: Prior to Captain America, I saw The Dark Knight a handful of times.

Edited by Angel of Death

19 hours ago, Bosco685 said:
DR. Ryan Choi

Ryan_Choi.thumb.jpg.3b5ab0f5983dd988f64e775581d9c3ca.jpg

How did I not know the Atom was in this? I would rather have had Ray Palmer but Ryan Choi is cool too.  I’m sure non-comic fans will say they ripped off Ant-man when Stan (God bless him) “got the idea” from the Atom.

F9C5B5B6-8928-4E8E-8C5F-83A8B90D4FD4.jpeg

Edited by Oddball