• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zack Snyder's JUSTICE LEAGUE on HBO Max (3/18/21)
4 4

2,339 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

I am going to forego the "review" of my BvS re-watch. Simply put, it's a 4.6/5.

That BVS Ultimate Edition makes such an incredible difference.

I don't even know what to say about this film... The 3 words that come to mind are "holy", "f^&*ing", and "s^&*". In that order.

I'm giving it a 4.5/5.

2 criticisms: I think that they could have cut the runtime by 15 mins without consequence. Also, I didn't like the music that was used for the Iris West scene.

This felt like an absolutely different movie. There were maybe 5 scenes that I recognized from Josstice League. There were scenes that actually made me emotional. Cyborg was completely gutted in 2017. The Flash is still wonky, but he has grounded scenes to keep him balanced. Aquaman and Wonder Woman were treated perfectly. Batman wasn't an emo suicidal loser. To quote Alfred from BvS, "everything's changed".

That 3rd Act... Are you f^&*ing kidding me? That was f^&*ing ridiculous. I was on the edge of my seat. Amazing.

3 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

This felt like an absolutely different movie. There were maybe 5 scenes that I recognized from Josstice League. There were scenes that actually made me emotional. Cyborg was completely gutted in 2017. The Flash is still wonky, but he has grounded scenes to keep him balanced. Aquaman and Wonder Woman were treated perfectly. Batman wasn't an emo suicidal loser. To quote Alfred from BvS, "everything's changed".

That 3rd Act... Are you f^&*ing kidding me? That was f^&*ing ridiculous. I was on the edge of my seat. Amazing.

So it was pretty decent?

:baiting:

1 minute ago, Angel of Death said:

I love Superman, and The Flash, so *insert eggplant emoji*.

The Epilogue scenes - what an experience. Especially that last spot at the lake.

:banana:

I finished it all with two breaks and thought it was pretty metal.
I honestly didn’t think I would like it as much as I did. I guess the title of Justice League was so tarnished before that I didn’t think redemption would come. But it was amazing. My favorite comic movie from the last decade. 
I can’t believe how good Steppenwolfe looks now. He went from a bad PS2 game to an organic being with complex armor. And that armor was badass. Flawless CGI as it shifts and contracts. I was thinking of all those Amazon’s piling up on him and getting torn up in that intense first battle scene. Definitely some 300 vibes going on there. In Whedon’s JL, Superman shows up and the rest of them are pretty much like, “Oh, you got this? K, we’ll be over here nursing our wounds.” But now you get a coordinated effort with everyone getting a piece. All of them were beating him like it was their job.

Now my gripes.
I didn’t like the chapter titles breaking the film into parts. Takes me out of the movie. He’s not Tarantino. Small gripe. Here’s a big gripe. You don’t tease the Bat tank in a trailer and then not use the Bat Tank. That’s like me telling my kids I’m taking them to Disneyland and then I drop them off to work in a sweatshop making iPhones. 
Next, Ben Affleck lost like 30 pounds in the Epilogue, WTF was that about? It’s like he just saved the world so he’s going to smoke as much crack as possible.

Finally the big one for me. The Epilogue was unnecessary. To be clear, about the second half of the Epilogue. Snyder knew this would be his last run with these characters so why tease a continuation that won’t happen. He should have filmed a new closing better suited for a stand alone epic. In my future viewings, I’m hitting the stop button right after Clark turns into the alley and tears his shirt revealing the black S. That’s the perfect ending for Zack Snyder’s Justice League. As much as I loved seeing Leto it was just unnecessary. I’m looking forward to seeing this again but will wait until the 4K Blu-ray. I can’t stream this in 4K off HBO at the moment. I’m also looking forward to the black and white version. 

Edited by Oddball

15 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

One interesting item is how impressive it is these Snyder Fans deemed at times as 'toxic' have raised over $500,000 towards the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention in Autumn Snyder's name.

Has there been another comic book franchise where the fans actually used their support to raise funds like this?

7 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

In Stephen Strange's case, he deserved both a Reckless and Careless Driving citation. But I guess that was the point is that he was a selfish irresponsible turkey jerky in the movie.

As for the other stuff, I did wonder for a moment why Ryan Choi, the only Asian in the movie so far, has to speak with broken English? Can't he just be a Korean-American and talk like everybody else in the movie? I guess he's from Hong Kong in the comics but It didn't really bother me I just thought it.

At least in this version, Flash doesn't land on top of Wonder Woman.

I think sometimes we have to remind ourselves...

I'm honestly glad DC diehards have a Superfriends movie they can finally be proud of as fan response seems to be near unanimously positive. After finally finishing this afternoon, I did like it and honestly think it's Zack Snyder's best DC film, and I don't like his other DC films. It doesn't have the front to back depressing Kal El of Man of Steel or BvS and doesn't have the crazy kill kill kill Batman of BvS. It's a more positive movie with more positive characters which I appreciated and I bet a lot of other people did, too. The setup is really long, but it ultimately just fits this Snyder guy's storytelling style. It's still a lot of seriousness, but the not-so-serious characters of Aguaman and Barry Allen really help without the awkward Joss Whedon jokes. And in a final jab to Snyder's past work, ZSJL doesn't have to try to live up to the intellectualness of a comic book literature masterpiece like Watchmen had to and which failed imo.

Even with the expanded runtime, the story was still tighter than the previous films in the Snyder Trilogy, I think in part because the heroes and the villains are fighting over an actual solid thing, the Motherboxes, and not over different philosophies or personality misunderstandings like the previous two films. It's also nice we're not following subplots of "mystery" news story chases that we already know the answers to like we had to when following Louis Lane around on her fact finding adventures which aren't really necessary to move forward the stories of those first two films. In ZSJL, it's just get to know this rag tag team of heroes and follow them try to beat Steppenwolf to the Mother of all Boxes, with lots of slo mo. It works for me.

As I rewatched Man of Steel and Dawn of Justice this week in preparation for Justice League, I found I enjoyed those movie better if I fast forwarded through certain scenes, like Clark's youth flashback scenes or certain scenes with Eisenberg's Luthor. I feel like with ZSJL, I don't have to do that anymore as everything worked for this version of the movie.

Really, Warner Bros should just go ahead and make this the official version of Justice League and bury the theatrical Joss Whedon/Zack Snyder mix film.

53 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I'm honestly glad DC diehards have a Superfriends movie they can finally be proud of as fan response seems to be near unanimously positive. After finally finishing this afternoon, I did like it and honestly think it's Zack Snyder's best DC film, and I don't like his other DC films. It doesn't have the front to back depressing Kal El of Man of Steel or BvS and doesn't have the crazy kill kill kill Batman of BvS. It's a more positive movie with more positive characters which I appreciated and I bet a lot of other people did, too. The setup is really long, but it ultimately just fits this Snyder guy's storytelling style. It's still a lot of seriousness, but the not-so-serious characters of Aguaman and Barry Allen really help without the awkward Joss Whedon jokes. And in a final jab to Snyder's past work, ZSJL doesn't have to try to live up to the intellectualness of a comic book literature masterpiece like Watchmen had to and which failed imo.

Even with the expanded runtime, the story was still tighter than the previous films in the Snyder Trilogy, I think in part because the heroes and the villains are fighting over an actual solid thing, the Motherboxes, and not over different philosophies or personality misunderstandings like the previous two films. It's also nice we're not following subplots of "mystery" news story chases that we already know the answers to like we had to when following Louis Lane around on her fact finding adventures which aren't really necessary to move forward the stories of those first two films. In ZSJL, it's just get to know this rag tag team of heroes and follow them try to beat Steppenwolf to the Mother of all Boxes, with lots of slo mo. It works for me.

As I rewatched Man of Steel and Dawn of Justice this week in preparation for Justice League, I found I enjoyed those movie better if I fast forwarded through certain scenes, like Clark's youth flashback scenes or certain scenes with Eisenberg's Luthor. I feel like with ZSJL, I don't have to do that anymore as everything worked for this version of the movie.

Really, Warner Bros should just go ahead and make this the official version of Justice League and bury the theatrical Joss Whedon/Zack Snyder mix film.

Gonna save this before you edit it as it is the most positive DC movie review you have ever posted. Including Joker.

:baiting:

Edited by Bosco685