• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zack Snyder's JUSTICE LEAGUE on HBO Max (3/18/21)
4 4

2,339 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

I knew that there was an "Atom cameo" from all of the Snyder Cut 'leaks'.

I hope he’s given a meaningful badass role. Even loved his part when Frank Miller had him belly surfing an electron through a wireless signal in DKSA.

24 minutes ago, Oddball said:

I hope he’s given a meaningful badass role. Even loved his part when Frank Miller had him belly surfing an electron through a wireless signal in DKSA.

Nah it's just gonna be a cameo he probably isn't even the Atom yet. I highly doubt he has any extended presence in the movie just like Iris West, or Martian Manhunter, or Deathstroke, or Joker, or whatever Green Lantern they decided to throw in, and whoever else they thought they could cram into a 4 hour movie.

11 minutes ago, AJLewandoski said:

Nah it's just gonna be a cameo he probably isn't even the Atom yet. I highly doubt he has any extended presence in the movie just like Iris West, or Martian Manhunter, or Deathstroke, or Joker, or whatever Green Lantern they decided to throw in, and whoever else they thought they could cram into a 4 hour movie.

Remember the plan was for two follow-on movies. So at this stage this was laying the groundwork for those films.

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

Remember the plan was for two follow-on movies. So at this stage this was laying the groundwork for those films.

There's planning ahead, and there's being gratuitous, and this seems like the latter to me. This was supposed to be the first time we interact with Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg. Those 3 are already huge leads to establish with nothing prior except files in BvS. Why try and cram another half dozen new characters or more into THIS movie? In my opinion they should've held them back for more substantial roles in those intended sequels and given the other leads more time to develop. But with those sequels likely never coming to fruition they're just going to be a slew of meaningless cameos. I guess it's all moot at this point, so I don't really know what point I'm trying to make.:sorry:

15 minutes ago, AJLewandoski said:

There's planning ahead, and there's being gratuitous, and this seems like the latter to me. This was supposed to be the first time we interact with Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg. Those 3 are already huge leads to establish with nothing prior except files in BvS. Why try and cram another half dozen new characters or more into THIS movie? In my opinion they should've held them back for more substantial roles in those intended sequels and given the other leads more time to develop. But with those sequels likely never coming to fruition they're just going to be a slew of meaningless cameos. I guess it's all moot at this point, so I don't really know what point I'm trying to make.:sorry:

(shrug)

:foryou:

On one hand, “Zack Snyder’s Justice League” is revolutionary. The filmmaker has said the film represents his unadulterated vision — all four hours and six chapters of it — beamed directly into the homes of eager fans via a robust streaming platform, the only distribution method that could economically support the $70 million undertaking.

Theatrical? Out of the question.

“It has no business existing — a four-hour version of ‘Justice League,’ are you kidding?” Snyder said in an interview with IndieWire. WarnerMedia “didn’t have any notes, not really. The notes they had I didn’t do.”

Realization of vision and profit have long been opposing forces in battles between filmmakers and studios, from Ridley Scott’s 25-year effort to make a definitive “Blade Runner” to the same time it took after Sergio Leone’s death to piece together a full “Once Upon a Time in America.” For “Justice League,” it was just three years after the birth of the hashtag movement #ReleasetheSnyderCut that the stars aligned, when studio and director found themselves in the rare position of being on the same side.

“WarnerMedia is making quite a lot of noise and bringing very, very big titles to HBO Max,” said Tal Chalozin, co-founder and CTO of streaming marketing platform Innovid. “The TV business is a very quote-unquote easy business: You need good content to feed the beast all the time. Good content attracts people who stay connected to the service.”

Early results show that HBO Max’s disruptive moves could be making a difference. There were some 41.5 million HBO and HBO Max subscribers by the end of 2020, which accounts for those who signed up in response to the first day-and-date release, “Wonder Woman 1984.” The service plans to launch in June a cheaper, ad-supported tier for the first time, while it will be expanding to 60 markets outside the US this year.

All of that could help HBO Max inch closer and closer to 150 or 200 million subscribers, the common numbers-to-beat cited in the streaming world that set leading services apart from the pack, Chalozin said. (Netflix crossed the 200 million mark for the first time in January.)

“That’s the inflection point,” Chalozin said. “This is why [services] need to pay the big bucks ahead of time to build that up very fast.”

Indeed, at AT&T’s investors day Friday — one week before the Snyder cut release — the company said it now has higher expectations for HBO Max. When the service was introduced in October 2019, it estimated it would have between 75-90 million subscribers by 2025. Now, the company is aiming for as many as 150 million by that time.

Now, let’s get to the main event — why Zack Snyder’s Justice League is the ultimate DC superhero film!

The short version of my review is simple: ZSJL exceeds whatever lofty expectations fans had for the project, it overcomes the objections and complaints of naysayers, and it delivers the Justice League movie everybody always hoped for. It’s more emotionally resonant, more exciting, more meaningful, and smarter than even someone like me — a longtime fan of Snyder’s work and of his particular vision for the DCEU — thought it would be (and trust me, we already had high hopes).

Some fast points to make — this is not the same movie as the theatrical cut. Yes, they share several of the same big action sequences, but the theatrical version edited those scenes down to smaller scale (a bizarre choice) and shorter length, and just strung together a sort of “greatest hits” compilation of primary action scenes. In between came the new footage providing as thin and brief a connective tissue as possible, gutting the character arcs and subplots and even the main stakes and ideas behind what remains.

I haven’t rewatched the theatrical cut in a while, but I think roughly an hour or so of footage you saw in the theatrical version is found in ZSJL, albeit with a much larger scale (for example, Whedon turned a Snyder scene featuring all of the heroes amid a military standoff into just the heroes and one cop). The rest of ZSJL — three more hours of content, give or take — is stuff you haven’t seen before. And no, it’s not merely filler or incoherent or any of the other claims you’ve heard. There are entire character arcs and major subplots that drive the story.

Zack Snyder has delivered far more than just a redemptive example of his vision. He has silenced the naysayers, he has proven that his ambition extended beyond what most of his detractors and then-leadership at Warner could fathom. It’s only now, after seeing Zack Snyder’s Justice League, that many viewers will be able to look back at Batman v Superman and see what Zack always saw and intended for this series. Knowing where it was headed, now you can go back and better understand what the filmmaker was doing in the previous films.

Many of us recognized it (or at least parts of it) at the time, but still without fully appreciating just how expansive and incredible the end result would be when the League finally arrived. But even if you still don’t really like or appreciate the earlier films, it won’t detract from your ability to be drawn into and love Zack Snyder’s Justice League. Because it contains everything you need to know and consider and feel, and it’s an added bonus if you also feel compelled to revisit the extended/ultimate cut of Batman v Superman and have an “ah ha” moment about the connective tissue and ways in which Snyder was setting the stage for something transcendent.

Zack Snyder’s Justice League is brilliant and brave, smart and complicated, hopeful and inspiring. Snyder is a great filmmaker and a wonderful storyteller, and he should be immensely proud to have created another masterpiece in the superhero genre. Hallelujah.

I've seen the Snyder cut and was thoroughly satisfied. The theatrical version was just a hack job when you see what Snyder wanted. You can easily see the scenes Whedon added on that Snyder excluded from what he wanted. Pretty much each character's purpose and motivation was fleshed out over the 4 hour cut versus what we got in the theatre. The exceptions were Batman and the Flash where we didn't get much over what we saw in the theatrical release. There's a lot more heart to the film, especially with regards to Superman and Cyborg. I guess that may be why Ray Fisher hates Joss Whedon. 

The 4th world stuff was lacking in the theatrical release, but much more fleshed out to a more satisfactory level in the Snyder cut. You give us Steppenwolf as the big bad in the theatrical release and not his motivation? Answered here.

Epilogue is lengthy and a must see. I think there were many additional shots done for this, however they did expand on one of the actual extra scenes presented in  the theatrical release (yacht scene) which I liked. I would love to see more of this character since he was also prominent elsewhere in the epilogue. Also pleasantly surprised to see references to 2 heroes not mentioned in the theatrical cut.