• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zack Snyder's JUSTICE LEAGUE on HBO Max (3/18/21)
4 4

2,339 posts in this topic

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Easy 4 hours to sit through. I was worried it was not going to be much better than the Whedon cut, but even the parts I liked in the Whedon cut were much better in the Snyder cut. The Flash is quirky, but not dumb, scared and quirky. WW and Aquaman are not completely outclassed by Steppenwolf. Some of the slow parts would have benefitted from solo films before the JLA. And the dream sequence and addition of Martian Manhunter felt forced, 

4 hours ago, Ares said:

Whats with the weird aspect Ratio

It was filmed for IMAX release.

Why Is ‘Zack Snyder’s Justice League’ In 4:3 Aspect Ratio?

Zack Snyder’s Justice League is an unorthodox movie, to say the least. That includes the fact that The Snyder Cut—as fans call it— is streaming on HBO Max in 4:3 format. HBO Max went out of its way to assure viewers that those little black boxes on the side of your screen while you watch Justice League are not a mistake, by adding a line at the beginning of the movie: “This film is presented in 4:3 format to preserve the integrity of Zack Snyder’s creative vision.”

In an interview with Decider, producer Deborah Snyder said:

"The film was originally shot that way. You know, don’t forget it was intended for the theatrical release, and it was intended to have an IMAX release. But now that it was on HBO Max, Zack didn’t want to change the aspect ratio, because everything was framed that way. And it’s also, I just think it’s just so unique. You’re getting so much of the picture, you’re seeing a lot more. If we then made the decision to just chop it off, we would be losing part of the frame. So it was really important to maintain the aspect ratio because that’s how it was originally intended to be. That’s how it was shot. That’s how the visual effects were done."

So there you have it! The Snyders didn’t want to cut off part of the frame in order to convert the film to widescreen.

2 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

I'll be honest, I still have an hour to go to finish it but it just feels long to me.  Maybe if I hadn't already seen the theatrical I would be more invested but feels redundant.  There are some cool additions for sure and it looks great in 4k.  

I respect that a given film won't work for everyone. And in this case Zack Snyder's films come with built-in detractors ( I will always strongly dislike his films - now prove me right). And there will be those where it's okay to say the story or content just didn't work for them. Though also some come to the table with 'make mine Marvel' as their mindset, and they use that as their baseline to gauge how much other studios are not following the same approach. Not that you did this.

But the reviewers you quoted fall into that 'prove me right' camp to justify your displeasure. Direct quote:

Four years ago, Snyder was unable to finish his flick in post-production and handed the reins to Joss Whedon. The end result was an abysmal Frankenstein’s monster of styles: Snyder’s sludge and Whedon’s slapstick. Disappointed fans then birthed the #ReleaseTheSnyderCut Twitter hashtag, and today their demented dreams have come true.

So have my nightmares.

If the film doesn't click with your desires, then it just doesn't. But recognize the reviewer bias that is out there to help justify your dislike. It's a reality.

:foryou:

17 hours ago, Oddball said:

I finished it all with two breaks and thought it was pretty metal.
I honestly didn’t think I would like it as much as I did. I guess the title of Justice League was so tarnished before that I didn’t think redemption would come. But it was amazing. My favorite comic movie from the last decade. 
I can’t believe how good Steppenwolfe looks now. He went from a bad PS2 game to an organic being with complex armor. And that armor was badass. Flawless CGI as it shifts and contracts. I was thinking of all those Amazon’s piling up on him and getting torn up in that intense first battle scene. Definitely some 300 vibes going on there. In Whedon’s JL, Superman shows up and the rest of them are pretty much like, “Oh, you got this? K, we’ll be over here nursing our wounds.” But now you get a coordinated effort with everyone getting a piece. All of them were beating him like it was their job.

Now my gripes.
I didn’t like the chapter titles breaking the film into parts. Takes me out of the movie. He’s not Tarantino. Small gripe. Here’s a big gripe. You don’t tease the Bat tank in a trailer and then not use the Bat Tank. That’s like me telling my kids I’m taking them to Disneyland and then I drop them off to work in a sweatshop making iPhones. 
Next, Ben Affleck lost like 30 pounds in the Epilogue, WTF was that about? It’s like he just saved the world so he’s going to smoke as much crack as possible.

Finally the big one for me. The Epilogue was unnecessary. To be clear, about the second half of the Epilogue. Snyder knew this would be his last run with these characters so why tease a continuation that won’t happen. He should have filmed a new closing better suited for a stand alone epic. In my future viewings, I’m hitting the stop button right after Clark turns into the alley and tears his shirt revealing the black S. That’s the perfect ending for Zack Snyder’s Justice League. As much as I loved seeing Leto it was just unnecessary. I’m looking forward to seeing this again but will wait until the 4K Blu-ray. I can’t stream this in 4K off HBO at the moment. I’m also looking forward to the black and white version. 

Agreed, RE: the "Chapter" breaks. Unnecessary additions to the runtime. Won't disagree with the War Machine gripe, but he does already have the Batmobile and that new flying carrier. We don't see War Machine until after the 'mobile is destroyed. The Epilogue was all re-shoots. Ben Affleck was Fatman through most of Josstice League, then after he got his life back together, he lost the weight. He wasn't keeping muscle to stay in Batman shape, though.

Snyder's explanation is that he felt it was doing DC a service by having this Batman and Joker have a confrontation. The Darkseid story - itself - also has no conclusion. He was trying to stay faithful to his original vision.

Now, I am not dismissing your gripes, but rather just trying to explain them. I think that your criticisms are valid, though I don't think they negatively affect the movie (except for the Chapter breaks, because IMO the runtime is slightly bloated).

During a live fundraiser for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, Zack Snyder condemned the event’s affiliation with the Geeks + Gamers organization.

Your Money Geek explained that Geeks + Gamers are part of an anti-SJW brand of YouTube content makers with “a history of racist, sexist, and bigoted attacks against franchises that they perceive as pushing ‘woke’ narratives.” So Star Wars, Star Trek, and basically anything that attempts to be inclusive but also good.

Here is what Snyder reportedly said:

“Just a quick thing before we get started, I know that on our donation page we still have the Geeks + Gamers logo. I just want to say that, we talked about this, we’re really not affiliated with Geeks + Gamers as far as I’m concerned. I really just want to make that clear. I also just want to say, in light of recent events I think […] if Justice League teaches us anything it’s about coming together. There’s no room for hate. I just think it’s an important message. As a father of Asian children, it hits close to home.”

Of course the people of Geeks + Gamers have turned against Snyder in some way following this, but I think, while this might be a little too late for many—it is time he addressed that segment of his fans.

7 hours ago, Rip said:

The not so good:

1. Some CG a bit rough. (But not nearly as many shots as I was expecting)

2. A few too many slo mo's.

3. Some scenes seem to drag a bit long.

I personally think that Steppenwolf's design was too ambitious to look realistic, and that's the only VFX criticism I have. #2 and #3 are on-point, though.

Honestly, I've thought about editing this movie down to 3-1/2 hours and into full-screen 16:9, when I get a digital copy.

There's a donkey on Metacritic who literally gave this a 0. His review was, "this sucks, that sucks, this sucks, that sucks". They said that it's "better than Joss Whedon's cut", but still gave it a 0?

People are so dumb. The 8.9 overall audience score on Metacritic is fairly accurate, though, IMO.

3 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

There's a donkey on Metacritic who literally gave this a 0. His review was, "this sucks, that sucks, this sucks, that sucks". They said that it's "better than Joss Whedon's cut", but still gave it a 0?

People are so dumb. The 8.9 overall audience score on Metacritic is fairly accurate, though, IMO.

He sucks. Of the few negative reviews I’ve seen the bias is clear as day.  This probability isn’t fair but I generally feel ‘critics’ are intellectual losers who failed to break into the film industry so I put zero stock into what they say....good or bad. 

32 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

I personally think that Steppenwolf's design was too ambitious to look realistic, and that's the only VFX criticism I have. #2 and #3 are on-point, though.

Honestly, I've thought about editing this movie down to 3-1/2 hours and into full-screen 16:9, when I get a digital copy.

It definitely had some room to pull out about 20-30 minutes. But then I reflect upon AT&T and WarnerMedia gave him the go-ahead to fill HBO Max time with whatever he wanted and $70M to do it. So he counted on 4 one-hour episodes and was going to ensure the fans got every second that he could provide. Bummer that legal contracts later over film pay vs show pay got in the way. But it was the fastest four hours I've had in a while during the pandemic.

6 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

It's cool to see Zack Snyder call out the hatred spewed by YouTube sites like Geeks and Gamers whose agenda is pure anti-SJW and whose public enemy #2 is Captain Marvel. (I think Kathleen Kennedy is their public enemy #1)

When I read the article and then clicked on a few of the Youtube supporting references, I was really shocked the level of hate demonstrated. To include taking a Rose Tico action figure and stomping it to pieces.

That's some hardcore hate.