• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zack Snyder's JUSTICE LEAGUE on HBO Max (3/18/21)
4 4

2,339 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Muno42 said:

And the dream sequence and addition of Martian Manhunter felt forced, 

16 minutes ago, Chazgee said:

Completely agree here. 

I think the intent here is linking the events to the next two films that were planned. So just like the Future Flash appearance in Batman v Superman we realize all these events have an intended purpose in building up a story to the final reveal.

Not that you have to like those scenes. I'm just noting why they were plugged in the way they were. Including with the Epilogue title card.

I've held back saying anything after watching this yesterday mostly because... I'm still not sure how I feel.  I mean.... I liked it?  I'm glad it exists in the universe. I think I'll watch it again (I know I will).  There's stuff that's much better than the original version, stuff that's just different, and there's flaws in the original that are still just the inherent flaws in the overall structure of the movie & universe.

But the biggest question I have tried to wrap my head around is this - I wonder how I would have reacted to that movie if THAT had been the original and ONLY version that existed? Because watching it yesterday in the context of what it is and where it came from you can't help but be rooting for that movie in a unique way (not that you don't want all superhero films to be good, but...there was just so much behind this).  And every scene you watched it and you saw the new scene but in your mind you also were watching the old scene at the same time.

Anyway... that's what I mean. It's just hard to react to it.  Other than to say I'm happy it exists and I will watch it again.  Most likely by breaking it up in parts, though.  LOL

13 minutes ago, fmaz said:

I've held back saying anything after watching this yesterday mostly because... I'm still not sure how I feel.  I mean.... I liked it?  I'm glad it exists in the universe. I think I'll watch it again (I know I will).  There's stuff that's much better than the original version, stuff that's just different, and there's flaws in the original that are still just the inherent flaws in the overall structure of the movie & universe.

But the biggest question I have tried to wrap my head around is this - I wonder how I would have reacted to that movie if THAT had been the original and ONLY version that existed? Because watching it yesterday in the context of what it is and where it came from you can't help but be rooting for that movie in a unique way (not that you don't want all superhero films to be good, but...there was just so much behind this).  And every scene you watched it and you saw the new scene but in your mind you also were watching the old scene at the same time.

Anyway... that's what I mean. It's just hard to react to it.  Other than to say I'm happy it exists and I will watch it again.  Most likely by breaking it up in parts, though.  LOL

I'm a little confused what you are trying to convince yourself of. But please don't take that as challenging your reaction to the film. It is what it is.

But it has been noted a few times the 214 minute original cut which came from a 5-hour assembly cut came together because AT&T and WarnerMedia opened the door to find quality content to stream on HBO Max. That led to not cutting the film down to a more realistic 2.5-3 hour movie to the full finished 214 minutes + 5 minutes of reshoots leading to the Epilogue.

So if you are wondering if this 4 hour movie had been released in 2017, not even Snyder was thinking of releasing a 214 (+) minute movie at the theaters. It was just a perfect opportunity now to do this.

Edited by Bosco685

7 minutes ago, fmaz said:

I think I know exactly what you mean, it’s so weird knowing the other version that exists and then thinking of the scenes side by side, comparing them but also trying not to let the disappointment of 2017 get in the way.

Sort of makes it seem even weirder that WB did what they did and went to such effort to get the cast to re shoot scenes and sets, often for seemingly pointless reasons now that we’ve seen the original.

I’d love to see the opinion of someone who hasn’t seen the theatrical to do it the other way around and start with this one....

1 minute ago, RickSp said:

I’d love to see the opinion of someone who hasn’t seen the theatrical to do it the other way around and start with this one....

Now THAT would be very interesting. Someone is actually taking that approach with his inexperienced fiance. But he also told her with the Snyder Cut while watching it what scenes will be cut out when she see the Theatrical Cut later on.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

So with the Epilogue scenes...

Reveal hidden contents

1) Did Henry Cavill con reporters when asked if he participated in the short reshoots and he said 'NO'?

2) When Martian Manhunter tells Bruce his parents would be proud it sounded like he was very sure of this and not an off-the-cuff comment - did he know them?

Spoiler

No. Cavill's Epilogue appearance is a copy+paste of his entrance to Africa in BvS. They simply added the red to his eyes.

5 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Now THAT would be very interesting. Someone is actually taking that approach with his inexperienced fiance. But he also told her with the Snyder Cut while watching it what scenes will be cut out when she see the Theatrical Cut later on.

Crazy isn’t it, I knew for example that Cyborg was changed but not to that extent. My wife who enjoys most comic movies couldn’t believe how different he was by getting his full role back. 

Shame things didn’t work out with the Flash movie for him to appear again.

I think that, maybe Sunday, I'll engage in my 3rd watch of this and take full notes of my criticisms. Why? I like much, much, much more than I dislike. I'll share them, and then we can engage in ideas that we agree or disagree on. Hey, maybe you'll change my mind on something!

Seriously, though, that Flash scene might be better than anything from the MCU. Thor entering Wakanda is a contender, though.

6 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:
  Hide contents

No. Cavill's Epilogue appearance is a copy+paste of his entrance to Africa in BvS. They simply added the red to his eyes.

Good point! Just edited to fit the new scene. :foryou:

1 minute ago, RickSp said:

Crazy isn’t it, I knew for example that Cyborg was changed but not to that extent. My wife who enjoys most comic movies couldn’t believe how different he was by getting his full role back. 

Shame things didn’t work out with the Flash movie for him to appear again.

Supposedly the big boss is extremely pleased with the response to the Snyder Cut. To include the critic and fan reactions.

A few news sites keep teasing something big is coming. But it could be anything. Time will tell either way.

1 minute ago, kimik said:

I wonder if WB may be shamed enough to give Snyder Feige like control of the DCU for a bit now? If yes, the price just went up. lol

I can't see that happening, as he never wanted that role, even though he kinda had it (EP on all Worlds of DC films, helped write Wonder Woman) before Autumn passed away. Snyder only ever wanted to make 5 movies in a limited series.

8 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

I can't see that happening, as he never wanted that role, even though he kinda had it (EP on all Worlds of DC films, helped write Wonder Woman) before Autumn passed away. Snyder only ever wanted to make 5 movies in a limited series.

Yeah, but that role was not offered to him before. Now, he has leverage, and DCU is looking for someone to lead it. In the end, if the offer him enough $$$$, he may reconsider.

Rounders Pay That Man His Money GIF - Rounders PayThatManHisMoney Money -  Discover & Share GIFs

Edited by kimik

10 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

HE only wanted to direct 5 pictures. But he served as producer (along with Deborah Snyder) on the other films. Which is why Patty Jenkins and James Wan ran scripts and rough cuts by him for feedback.

WB_DC_directors.thumb.jpg.6d88a8185d7de12d9d8c192357e0f07e.jpg

Remember, they all came together to convey how connected all this content was moving forward.

James Wan so respected Zack Snyder's vision for the entire DCEU direction, he worked with him to undo changes Whedon had added into the 2017 JL.

Zack Snyder Supposedly Helped James Wan Undo Some Of Joss Whedon's Justice League Changes

Neil Daly, an actor who oversaw test screenings of both Justice League and Aquaman says that Zack Snyder worked with James Wan to help shift the character of Arthur Curry away from some of the changes Joss Whedon made in the team up film, specifically, regarding Aquaman's more adolescent humor. According to Daly...

"We could have gotten a whole movie about Aquaman just basically fawning over Mera the whole time and making all kinds of dirty jokes and things like that and they had to really kinda get away from that, which is all what Whedon had done. so Snyder had a little bit more of an influence on Aquaman. James Wan was showing Zack Snyder - against the studio's wishes - James Wan was showing Zack Snyder cuts of the movie and early test screenings and storyboards to make sure that they're on the same page with what he originally wanted and Snyder gave his blessing of approval, liked everything that he did and kinda brought it back to the character that he wanted it to be all along."

So I wouldn't assume Snyder stating he only had 5 pictures he wanted to direct to mean he and Deborah Snyder didn't guide this along in other ways (producers).