• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WONDER WOMAN 3 directed by Patty Jenkins (TBD)
5 5

182 posts in this topic

On 12/9/2022 at 9:52 AM, sd2416 said:

There shouldn't be anything filmed as his schedule was already booked for two years out, and they barely had time to do the Black Adam cameo. 

They claim something was also filmed for Flash, which has now been cut.

Edited by drotto

On 12/9/2022 at 2:23 AM, Jaydogrules said:

She's too scrawny and she couldn't act her way out of a paper bag.  Other than being a tall brunette she was (mis)cast in the role with absolutely no qualifications.   

-J.

Her qualifications were fine when she was cast.

And your personal criticisms of her acting and look don't detract from the fact that:

1) She's incredibly popular as Wonder Woman

2) Is a legitimate rising star in roles outside of Wonder Woman (which, for instance, Chris Hemsworth has proven he is not).

On 12/9/2022 at 7:53 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Her qualifications were fine when she was cast.

And your personal criticisms of her acting and look don't detract from the fact that:

1) She's incredibly popular as Wonder Woman

2) Is a legitimate rising star in roles outside of Wonder Woman (which, for instance, Chris Hemsworth has proven he is not).

People give waaaay too much deference to these paid actors playing make believe roles.  It's this kind of thinking that gave us a pointless "Black Panther" movie without the Black Panther.

Literally anyone they cast would have been "popular" as wonder woman.  Wonder Woman is a famous comic book character.  And the next person they eventually cast will also be popular.  Almost all of the goodwill earned by the first movie (some of it deserved, some of it not) was squandered by the horrific second one.  The new WB brass would have to be lunatic to green light a third one with the same people involved, at those stepped up pay days with an actress who can't act and a writer who can't write.  

As for Red Notice‐ yeah I don't put much stock in that.  Let's see how Gal does carrying a traditional theatrical non-DCEU release. I suspect she will fare about as well as Margot has.  But at least Margot can act.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 12/9/2022 at 10:40 AM, ExNihilo said:

Just because someone plays a famous comic book character doesn't mean the person who plays them is popular.  Would you say Ezra Miller is popular?  It's all in the portrayal.  And unfortunately, a character like Wonder Woman is hard to cast because the person needs to look a certain way.  Did Brandon Routh become popular?  I certainly enjoyed his portrayal as Clark Kent, but he didn't exactly become a house hold name.

Gal's not the best dramatic actress, but she does carry a certain charm to her.  She played the part of Wonder Woman well enough in the first movie.  If the writing had been better, I don't think we'd be having this conversation, which just illustrates how important a good story is.

Bit of a straw man.  

Ezra hasn't appeared in a solo movie (yet) and has had a multitude of personal problems and bad press.

As for Brandon, actually yes he is quite popular as Superman, but he didn't have the benefit of a "good" movie or being ret-conned into a cinematic universe.  He also only had one shot at the role (not counting legends of tomorrow).

-J.

On 12/9/2022 at 1:57 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Bit of a straw man.  

Ezra hasn't appeared in a solo movie (yet) and has had a multitude of personal problems and bad press.

As for Brandon, actually yes he is quite popular as Superman, but he didn't have the benefit of a "good" movie or being ret-conned into a cinematic universe.  He also only had one shot at the role (not counting legends of tomorrow).

-J.

Agree about Ezra Miller. By my count, outside of appearing as the Flash, he had two bravura performance (Perks of Being a Wallflower, We Need to Talk About Kevin), then a supporting role in the Fantastic Beasts trilogy. But he's not a movie star (yet).

However - see the recent criticism of superhero actors as "not movie stars" by Quentin Tarantino, and the public refutation of that by Samuel L. Jackson, who said, "Chadwick Boseman *is* Black Panther. And he's a movie star."

I'd buy that. There's a reason Marvel didn't recast him immediately. He was not only popular as the character, he was well-liked as an actor in general - and a true rising star movie star in his own right. The proof:

Every one of his four non-Black Panther roles since first appearing in Civil War received critical acclaim - even if the movie itself was maligned as mediocre or average. Those were:

• Marshall
  • 21 Bridges
  • Da Five Bloods
  • Ma Rainey's Black Bottom

Those films, plus 3 of his 4 appearances as Black Panther, is an incredible run in a short 4-year span (2017-2020). 

TL/DR: Taratino - and you - are wrong. Sam Jackson's right.

On 12/9/2022 at 2:15 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Agree about Ezra Miller. By my count, outside of appearing as the Flash, he had two bravura performance (Perks of Being a Wallflower, We Need to Talk About Kevin), then a supporting role in the Fantastic Beasts trilogy. But he's not a movie star (yet).

However - see the recent criticism of superhero actors as "not movie stars" by Quentin Tarantino, and the public refutation of that by Samuel L. Jackson, who said, "Chadwick Boseman *is* Black Panther. And he's a movie star."

I'd buy that. There's a reason Marvel didn't recast him immediately. He was not only popular as the character, he was well-liked as an actor in general - and a true rising star movie star in his own right. The proof:

Every one of his four non-Black Panther roles since first appearing in Civil War received critical acclaim - even if the movie itself was maligned as mediocre or average. Those were:

• Marshall
  • 21 Bridges
  • Da Five Bloods
  • Ma Rainey's Black Bottom

Those films, plus 3 of his 4 appearances as Black Panther, is an incredible run in a short 4-year span (2017-2020). 

TL/DR: Taratino - and you - are wrong. Sam Jackson's right.

Nobody was rushing to see any of those movies just because of Boseman being cast, and those who might have did so in such small numbers it showed in the lower than expected box office performances. Nobody is saying Boseman wasn't a good actor or a star, just that he wasn't a major draw like the stars of generations past (almost nobody is anymore. Cruise might be the last, but even then that has waned significantly). Boseman was a special case when it came to recasting due to the absolute reverence and respect the black community held for him thanks to the first BP movie, and the respect he gained going through his illness - it would have been a PR nightmare to try recasting him and just better all around to honour him in the movie this way.

Tarantino is right, people are not rushing to see superhero films BECAUSE OF WHO IS CAST, rather they are first and foremost going to CBMs because of the characters. Great actor, with incredible movies and a movie star, yes, but not a draw as compared to guys in Hollywood prime like Grant, Schwarzenegger, Peck, Hepburn, Cruise. He was talking about the classic draw power from actor name recognition.

On 12/9/2022 at 3:38 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Nobody was rushing to see any of those movies just because of Boseman being cast, and those who might have did so in such small numbers it showed in the lower than expected box office performances. Nobody is saying Boseman wasn't a good actor or a star, just that he wasn't a major draw like the stars of generations past (almost nobody is anymore. Cruise might be the last, but even then that has waned significantly). Boseman was a special case when it came to recasting due to the absolute reverence and respect the black community held for him thanks to the first BP movie, and the respect he gained going through his illness - it would have been a PR nightmare to try recasting him and just better all around to honour him in the movie this way.

Tarantino is right, people are not rushing to see superhero films BECAUSE OF WHO IS CAST, rather they are first and foremost going to CBMs because of the characters. Great actor, with incredible movies and a movie star, yes, but not a draw as compared to guys in Hollywood prime like Grant, Schwarzenegger, Peck, Hepburn, Cruise. He was talking about the classic draw power from actor name recognition.

Agree re. there being very few "major draws" or old-school movie stars these days. 

Even Robert Downey Jr.'s stumbled in non-Iron Man roles over the last decade.

Ironically, for good or ill, the Rock is among them - as he's been the highest-paid or 2nd-highest paid actor each year from 2017-2021 (TBD re. this year, although conventional wisdom is Tom Cruise will take top honors this year).

But define movie star another way - the power to get a movie made - and Boseman was on that list. 

Of the four non-Black Panther films Boseman did since being cast in his superhero role, at least three wouldn't have been made had he not signed on. Sure - maybe Michael B. Jordan slots into one of them as a replacement, but the films were literally built around - and greenlit - due to his involvement.

But going back to Gal Gadot - it's a very short list of stars who can command $20 million+ in *non-superhero" roles these days.

She has (Red Notice) - and it was not just well-received, but Netflix's most-watched original film ever.

Leo supposedly got $30 million for his role in Don't Look Up - he's up there with Tom Cruise.

Then you've got Duane Johnson, Will Smith, Mark Wahlberg, Vin Diesel. Anyone else?

Maybe Ryan Reynolds - because I'm sure Netflix paid him out for both Red Notice & 6 Underground.

On 12/9/2022 at 4:28 PM, Cat said:

Since the plan and details is not going to make its way out until next week on DC Studios, so much coming out is rumors and click pieces.

But on the story where Jenkins refused the rewrite the -script she had been working on - including sending a definition of 'character arc' to one of the co-CEOs - seems to the be the latest story floating around.

On 12/9/2022 at 12:23 AM, Jaydogrules said:

She's too scrawny and she couldn't act her way out of a paper bag.  Other than being a tall brunette she was (mis)cast in the role with absolutely no qualifications.   

-J.

And looking at how WW is portrayed in the comics, she is a cut/lean (what you would call scrawny) tall brunette...........

Gal Gadot had the look of WW as well. She was well cast IMHO.

Edited by kimik

On 12/9/2022 at 3:13 PM, Bosco685 said:

Since the plan and details is not going to make its way out until next week on DC Studios, so much coming out is rumors and click pieces.

But on the story where Jenkins refused the rewrite the --script she had been working on - including sending a definition of 'character arc' to one of the co-CEOs - seems to the be the latest story floating around.

So I guess the four movies they are still going forward with for next year would have had too large of write-offs associated with them? lol

While I am interested to see their plan, it sounds like the DCCU is a mess. 

On 12/9/2022 at 5:38 PM, kimik said:

So I guess the four movies they are still going forward with for next year would have had too large of write-offs associated with them? lol

While I am interested to see their plan, it sounds like the DCCU is a mess. 

I honestly would love and would be very impressed if they decided to commit to total reset and outright canceled Flash, Shazam 2, and everything else regardless of cost/completion. Big respects to do that at this point but would make me even MORE interested in the future :D 

On 12/9/2022 at 6:09 PM, Sauce Dog said:

I honestly would love and would be very impressed if they decided to commit to total reset and outright canceled Flash, Shazam 2, and everything else regardless of cost/completion. Big respects to do that at this point but would make me even MORE interested in the future :D 

And miss out on Blue Beetle??

Surely you jest...

On 12/9/2022 at 12:57 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Bit of a straw man.  

-J.

leave me out of this.

Edited by Straw-Man

On 12/9/2022 at 5:13 PM, Bosco685 said:

But on the story where Jenkins refused the rewrite the --script she had been working on - including sending a definition of 'character arc' to one of the co-CEOs - seems to the be the latest story floating around.

I'm hoping this was cancelled as long as Patty Jenkins is attached.  WW 1984 was HORRIBLE.

On 12/12/2022 at 5:26 PM, thegiftedone45 said:

I'm hoping this was cancelled as long as Patty Jenkins is attached.  WW 1984 was HORRIBLE.

Yes it was. Ironically, it is the last blue-ray I purchased (which is when I watched it).

Edited by Artboy99