• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Questioning grading....

11 posts in this topic

Hi so i had cgc grade a Charizard Vmax for me and the grading just finished. https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/3748240015/ I am wondering how a pack fresh cards received such a low surface grade of 5.5 when there is no visible areas that are bad?

UPDATE: so I decided I didn't like the grade and i was going to resubmit it for a new grade. upon cracking open the case on the back there is indeed a crease that was undetectable in the case. this cease is about the size of a thumb above the joint. BUT this was a pack fresh card when i sent it in so how did it happen? that may also be my fault. As this was my first summation I sent my cards in Toploaders and did not have card savers at the time. the card must have bent while they removed it from the Toploaders. they even say card savers are preferred because they can more safely remove the card from the cases for grading. So while I did not cause the crease i am the one who cause the crease if that makes any sense. So this card will now reside in my binder as a reminder to ALWAYS SUBMIT IN CARD SAVERS

Edited by Murrayj16
update

2 hours ago, Ron Churches said:

That's wild.  Maybe a surface scratch?  Pack fresh doesn't mean 10, or even 9.5...but 5.5 is crazy.  This card is so hard to get a 10 on.

To be a 5.5 I would imagine that's quite a bit of damage based of ones I've gotten back. Hard to believe it could be that bad out of the pack tbh. Have to be some major denting or something.

• Administrator

The graders clearly saw something. I guarantee that there is an issue, likely an indent or the beginnings of a small crease, both of which would be hard to see.

Paul

On 1/20/2021 at 10:29 AM, Murrayj16 said:

Just got the card back no bends or anything. the surface looks good to me... makes me worried if this was a computer oversight or something.

I'm just relying on the scans when looking at the cert number but it appears to be some small pin hole sized indenting on the back right side border near the top 1/3rd of the card. If that's the case that's industry standard for any damage to the cards surface. PSA would dock it straight to a maximum 6 without any further review needed.

Edited by Reg526

The cuts on the top and bottom edges look a little rough to me, so I'm wondering if they counted that on surface rather than edges. If you get it back and still can't find an issue, crack it and send it back in. People have been doing that for years with PSA lol

So you think the card was damage while being removed out of the top loader? aren't top loaders better because they are stronger then card savers? Are top loaders ok if you decide put a little sticky note to remove the card out?

Edited by Sam14

• Administrator
On 1/23/2021 at 10:18 AM, Sam14 said:

So you think the card was damage while being removed out of the top loader? aren't top loaders better because they are stronger then card savers? Are top loaders ok if you decide put a little sticky note to remove the card out?

No, top loaders are worse. The cards can easily slide up an out of them in shipping. I am guessing that is what happened in this case. Top loaders can be used, but issues like this can arise. This is why we suggest Card Savers.

Paul