• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Time flies in this hobby... such as...
1 1

51 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, marmat said:
12 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

Less hair and more gut...

I call it wisdom

I call it winning. :banana: 

2 hours ago, Number 6 said:

A year or two ago there was a heated discussion on the Boards about the Star Wars franchise - what IS and IS NOT considered “authentic” Star Wars or something like that. 

Anyway, it got me thinking about generational reference points for the franchise...and realized that the first Star Wars movie (which I saw in the theatre when I was 4) was as old at that point as the Bride of Frankenstein was when Star Wars was released in ‘77. 

That kinda blew my mind. 

I was just talking about SW with my wife. The special editions were released in 97, twenty years after the original Star Wars. It has now been nearly 25 years since the release of the special editions, and 20+ since Phantom Menace. The generation that grew up with the prequels are now adults, and those are THEIR Star Wars. I notice this a lot with meme culture and millenials, where the prequels are perhaps more prevalent than the original trilogy. I guess in another 20 years the Disney trilogy will be the point of reference :shudder:

18 hours ago, valiantman said:

Action Comics #1 to Amazing Fantasy #15 was 24 years. 

Doomsday killed Superman over 28 years ago.

:whatthe:

3 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Anyway, it got me thinking about generational reference points for the franchise...and realized that the first Star Wars movie (which I saw in the theatre when I was 4) was as old at that point as the Bride of Frankenstein was when Star Wars was released in ‘77. 

Gone With The Wind and the original Wizard of Oz (both from 1939) to the original Star Wars (1977) was 38 years.  Return of the Jedi (1983) to today is 38 years.

Or to put it another way...

Star Wars (1977) is closer to Action Comics #1, Detective Comics #27, and The Wizard of Oz (1939) than it is to today.

Edited by valiantman

44 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

haha  i quit collecting as a teen because the comics went all the way up to 35 cents and i thought that was too high !!

Not far from you - when they went from 35 cents to 40 and 50 cents (which used to be the price of the square bounds) I stopped.  I scoffed at the comics when they hit 75 cents and $1.00 thinking, who would spend a dollar for a comic book?

image.png.a37c6b32fc50ed840ab3f005a6aee6b4.png

20 hours ago, Montezuma said:

That fateful day sitting in front of the comics at Woolworth's and learning that my $1 allowance would only buy me 8 comic instead of the usual 10. Math was hard.

I started buying my comics at Woolworth, too. Although, they were already 12 cents each when I started.

20 hours ago, Montezuma said:

That fateful day sitting in front of the comics at Woolworth's and learning that my $1 allowance would only buy me 8 comic instead of the usual 10. Math was hard.

What were you?  A Vanderbilt?  A $1 allowance back then?  In the early 70's I was getting a quarter a week and thought I was rich.  I had to get a paper route to get a couple bucks a week in 76.  

On 2/3/2021 at 4:15 PM, 1950's war comics said:

haha  i quit collecting as a teen because the comics went all the way up to 35 cents and i thought that was too high !!

47 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

What were you?  A Vanderbilt?  A $1 allowance back then?  In the early 70's I was getting a quarter a week and thought I was rich.  I had to get a paper route to get a couple bucks a week in 76.  

$1 a month not a week, lived in a rural area and rarely got to town. Rich was finding soda bottle at 3 cents each or trapping gophers for 25 cents

My mother told me that grocery stores would provide the cash value of coupons because the stores would be reimbursed by the manufacturer.  As a result, she would take her small allowance and buy one copy of Ladies Home Journal or Good Housekeeping, cut out the coupons, and return to the store to redeem them.  She would get enough money to pay for a candy bar and soda for herself and her best friend.  I assume this was the late-1950s or early-1960s.  You'll notice that coupons now clearly state the cash value is something like one one-hundredth of one cent.  I asked her why she didn't use the coupon money to buy all of the magazines in the store for all of the coupons and she said they only wanted two candy bars and two sodas. lol

51 minutes ago, valiantman said:

My mother told me that grocery stores would provide the cash value of coupons because the stores would be reimbursed by the manufacturer.  As a result, she would take her small allowance and buy one copy of Ladies Home Journal or Good Housekeeping, cut out the coupons, and return to the store to redeem them.  She would get enough money to pay for a candy bar and soda for herself and her best friend.  I assume this was the late-1950s or early-1960s.  You'll notice that coupons now clearly state the cash value is something like one one-hundredth of one cent.  I asked her why she didn't use the coupon money to buy all of the magazines in the store for all of the coupons and she said they only wanted two candy bars and two sodas. lol

Good thinking to buy all the coupons with coupons in mags and then redeem, but then also, why cut them out? Lol just say here's your book I bought I'd like to trade it for two candy and two soda.... Then her friend could do the same lol

Jk glad for simpler times. :tink: