• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JOSS WHEDON may be done for
2 2

176 posts in this topic

After some assumed Ray Fisher was just a spoiled movie star...

Today a star from Whedon's Buffy show came out earlier today to note how horrible he had been to her.

Then another Buffy cast member came out to support her.

And now right behind that Buffy herself, Sarah Michelle Gellar, has made a statement.

sarahmgellar.thumb.jpg.a5b396491218887dca6c7307f85a1607.jpg

:ohnoez::ohnoez::ohnoez::ohnoez:

Whedon's ex-wife had written an article back in 2017 about his behavior. This is just sad a creator I so respected across Buffy, Firefly and my beloved Avengers crashing so hard.

Joss Whedon Is a ‘Hypocrite Preaching Feminist Ideals,’ Ex-Wife Kai Cole Says (Guest Blog)

I was with him when his “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” -script was adapted, and the resulting movie released. It was painful to see how his vision was interpreted by the production team and on our honeymoon to England in 1995, I urged him to figure out how to turn it into a TV show. He didn’t want to work in television anymore, following in his father’s and grandfather’s footsteps, but I convinced him it was the fastest way to get the experience he needed, so he could direct his own films someday. I had no idea, in that lovely garden in Bath, that it would change everything.

There were times in our relationship that I was uncomfortable with the attention Joss paid other women. He always had a lot of female friends, but he told me it was because his mother raised him as a feminist, so he just liked women better. He said he admired and respected females, he didn’t lust after them. I believed him and trusted him. On the set of “Buffy,” Joss decided to have his first secret affair.

Fifteen years later, when he was done with our marriage and finally ready to tell the truth, he wrote me, “When I was running ‘Buffy,’ I was surrounded by beautiful, needy, aggressive young women. It felt like I had a disease, like something from a Greek myth. Suddenly I am a powerful producer and the world is laid out at my feet and I can’t touch it.” But he did touch it. He said he understood, “I would have to lie — or conceal some part of the truth — for the rest of my life,” but he did it anyway, hoping that first affair, “would be ENOUGH, that THEN we could move on and outlast it.”

:whatthe: :facepalm:

17 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

Wow.  

It's bad. I just never realized how bad.

When his ex wrote that op-ed, it was easy to assume with certain pieces there was hurt feelings. Then when Ray Fisher came out and one studio lead tried to say his main issue was saying 'Booyah' some latched on to that and called him a complaining actor. Now, it's clear how toxic things could get as even early on Joss Whedon was a terror.

:facepalm:

Jayne: Hell, there weren't a-one of them understood what happened out there; they're... probably stickin' that statue right back up.
Mal: Most like.
Jayne: I don't know why that eats at me so.
Mal: It's my estimation that... every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of sumperson_without_enough_empathy or another. Ain't about you, Jayne. It's about what they need.

It trips me out that these some of these people are just so... power-obsessed.

Like Joss Whedon was really rich at the time and could've easily found paid companions to sate his desires quietly, confidentially, and consensually. If you're a sex addict, find consenting partners don't try to leverage your job and harass your coworkers. There are ways to get what you want without hurting anyone when you're that wealthy, even if you're fat and ugly and misshapen. Unless hurting people was the point :facepalm:

That whole industry is structured on leveraging power over others. Especially against actors. They know that there are far more workers than work and use it to their advantage.

The business attracts and rewards those kinds of people in power, and just because they are pretending that "time's up," it won't change.

3 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Maybe he had cleaned up his act by then but nobody from the Avengers films have said anything.  🤔

I was watching Age of Ultron and the scene where Ruffalo falls on Johanssen is the exact same scene he recreates with Flash and Wonder Woman 

it’s such an awkward scene 

Edited by jsilverjanet

30 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I was watching Age of Ultron and the scene where Ruffalo falls on Johanssen is the exact same scene he recreates with Flash and Wonder Woman 

it’s such an awkward scene 

Have you seen the way he writes scripts?...:screwy: The man is nothing if not awkward, he writes every female character overly sexualized. His scrapped treatment for the first Wonder Woman movie is by far the most infamous...

So basically he was an a-hole to someone he worked with some 20 years ago and that proves that he was an a-hole to Ray Fisher? We’ve all probably not gotten along with someone we’ve worked for or with. It’s not the end of the world. If that caused some chronic anxiety issue for that women she has bigger issues.

Maybe I’m missing something but all this people are accusing him of is being in a toxic environment. Honestly I really don’t know what that means other than just working with someone you don’t like. Are they accusing him of sexual assault or something?

Edited by Xenosmilus

4 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

So basically he was an a-hole to someone he worked with some 20 years ago and that proves that he was an a-hole to Ray Fisher? We’ve all probably not gotten along with someone we’ve worked for or with. It’s not the end of the world. If that caused some chronic anxiety issue for that women she has bigger issues.

Maybe I’m missing something but all this people are accusing him of is being in a toxic environment. Honestly I really don’t know what that means other than just working with someone you don’t like. Are they accusing him of sexual assault or something?

He had a history of having affairs with members of his cast. To include one of those above that states she is 35 now but back then was 15-16 yo. And brutal to his cast. Which then became a pattern. But then when considering his scripts and portrayals, rather than building up females he would use odd sexual scenes like the comedy crutch of 'boy falls on girl's boobs'. Which has been noted before. Including during Justice League when Gal Gadot refused the scene Whedon forced her body double to shoot the scene or she would never work in movies again. Which came out during the WarnerMedia investigation leading to the studio parting ways with Whedon.

Or can just go with he was mean to someone years ago, and Ray just overreacted. Whichever reality you want to live with. :baiting:

Well, affairs are not illegal and nobodies business expect the two peoples. Unless of course they were work place sexual harassment or minors were involved which if that was the case would be rape.  I am not defending the guy but I have not heard either of those allegations which is why I’m confused to what these people are alleging. 

Was Joss trying to grab Rays boob then in a scene?  “Joss falls on Rays boob”

Edited by Xenosmilus

10 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

Well, affairs are not illegal and nobodies business expect the two peoples. Unless of course they were work place sexual harassment or minors were involved which if that was the case would be rape.  I am not defending the guy but I have not heard either of those allegations which is why I’m confused to what these people are alleging. 

You should do more research.

27 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

Well, let's see... The independent investigation into the Fisher fiasco led to Whedon "leaving" his projects. 80 people complied with the investigation. People like Gadot and Momoa corroborated Ray's experience. IIRC, he threatened Gadot to do the awkward Flash scene (which she immediately reported), and even Gadot's body double didn't want to do it.

What's the saying? Where's there's smoke, there's fire?

There was a lot of smoke regarding Age of Ultron, too. The Avengers is the last Whedon project that I can recall in which things ran smoothly.