• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cgc should stop receiving cards
1 1

166 posts in this topic

PSA caters to sellers and CGC is great for buyers. The PSA TAT extension, followed by the price increase, followed by the recent shut down should help CGC cards close the gap in price on the Ebay market, which I feel is far too large right now. PSA is far too laxed with their handing out of 10s and this benefitted sellers tremendously. I see soooo many PSA 10s that are just straight up 9s, and there are tons of people who are perfectly accepting of them and buy them up. Gone are the days of sending in tons of cards to PSA, getting 10s, and flipping them for cash, at least for now. Ive got a few CGC 10s in my collection, unfortunately no perfect 10s yet, but I anticipate these are severally undervalued currently and this PSA shutdown should clearly point that out. 

3 hours ago, DonLaGreca said:

PSA caters to sellers and CGC is great for buyers. The PSA TAT extension, followed by the price increase, followed by the recent shut down should help CGC cards close the gap in price on the Ebay market, which I feel is far too large right now. PSA is far too laxed with their handing out of 10s and this benefitted sellers tremendously. I see soooo many PSA 10s that are just straight up 9s, and there are tons of people who are perfectly accepting of them and buy them up. Gone are the days of sending in tons of cards to PSA, getting 10s, and flipping them for cash, at least for now. Ive got a few CGC 10s in my collection, unfortunately no perfect 10s yet, but I anticipate these are severally undervalued currently and this PSA shutdown should clearly point that out. 

I agree with your point. I have a junk slab PSA 9 I keep for comparison and there’s no way it would get a 9 with CGC. Way too much whitening around the edges. 

People who are spending top dollars on PSA cards likely have a very big collection of PSA cards, if they are likely me, want all the slabs from the same company, they are not going to switch, since PSA cards might not crossover with the same grade, so they are sort of stuck.  They would buy CGC cards to crossover.

Long term, CGC is going to do much better, it's cheaper and better product all around.  For someone who don't have huge slab collection to hang on to and free to go with the best product, of course you want the one that looks better, more consistent, and most importantly something that can standup to other grading service standard.  I don't want my 10 to grade a 9 by another service.  For that reason, I won't buy a PSA 10 card with top $, because I don't know what the grade would be for another service, and that's the whole point of grading to know what quality card you have, not what quality card you have with a subpar grading standard.

Now add this:

If supply is indeed a big part of pricing, consider the following:

PSA chugs out a ton of cards with years past worth as well.

CGC isn't currently meeting what PSA can output and only what, a year of grading cards?

Combine that there's literally no PSA equal to any CGC 10 and there just isn't that many on the market cause it's so much harder to get those 10s.

It's not hard for one of these investors to dump 30g into buying up the majority of CGC 10s and set a higher price then PSA 10s. It literally only takes 1.

BTW, I have been buying some CGC 10s. Honestly, there just isn't that many and been buying up all the cheaper ones I could find for the past couple weeks.

Here's a couple I bought:

20210330_155053.jpg.29124c63c93a4d542189c4fec71212dc.thumb.jpg.029baa85f7c7f37012292546017e3a26.jpg

Waiting on 2 more Perfect 10 Promo Pikas

s-l500.png.42cc5b569b3d410d6d8626a13e8ab257.png

Also some smaller cheaper ones I could find. By no means am I the guy buying up ALL the CGC 10's just the ones I felt were severely under valued.

Can you believe I paid $250 each for the Pokemon Center Lady? Jeez, the Ultimate Waifu Card in Pristine 10 for that little feels like highway robbery.

Edited by Toybot

1 hour ago, Toybot said:

Now add this:

If supply is indeed a big part of pricing, consider the following:

PSA chugs out a ton of cards with years past worth as well.

CGC isn't currently meeting what PSA can output and only what, a year of grading cards?

Combine that there's literally no PSA equal to any CGC 10 and there just isn't that many on the market cause it's so much harder to get those 10s.

It's not hard for one of these investors to dump 30g into buying up the majority of CGC 10s and set a higher price then PSA 10s. It literally only takes 1.

BTW, I have been buying some CGC 10s. Honestly, there just isn't that many and been buying up all the cheaper ones I could find for the past couple weeks.

Here's a couple I bought:

20210330_155053.jpg.29124c63c93a4d542189c4fec71212dc.thumb.jpg.029baa85f7c7f37012292546017e3a26.jpg

Waiting on 2 more Perfect 10 Promo Pikas

s-l500.png.42cc5b569b3d410d6d8626a13e8ab257.png

Also some smaller cheaper ones I could find. By no means am I the guy buying up ALL the CGC 10's just the ones I felt were severely under valued.

Can you believe I paid $250 each for the Pokemon Center Lady? Jeez, the Ultimate Waifu Card in Pristine 10 for that little feels like highway robbery.

I dont think their undervalued since they are equal to BGS's 10 scale. Its not like its a scale that we have never seen before.

Perfect/Pristine 10s are only really going to make a difference on extremely expensive cards. Random japanese promos are whatever, they get a small premium at best. The 1st ed base stuff or neo shinings or tournament cards is where it will matter. On average though, the 9.5 just doesnt perform on the market as well as the PSA 10. 10 is greater than 9.5 and thats how people are looking at it.

PSA has sucked for years but no matter what, their cards still get the most money. It doesnt matter what the grade quality is. Most consumers really do not care about the process behind it. Its all about that stupid white label. And I dont see CGC ever catching up. As much as I like it for the company who does the best job to have their cards worth the most money, the market is irrational and doesnt see it that way.

4 hours ago, DonLaGreca said:

A late night streamer watch sometimes got a Bulk submission back from PSA a month ago or so and it was literally almost straight 10's. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Infuriating that these things are the 'pinnacle of condition' in the community. Absolute joke. Another Poketuber ZandGemporium got a big Japanese bulk return of nearly straight 10's, and quit his day job!!! He listed all the cards on Ebay, made sure he was the lowest priced on each card (didn't matter because he still made BANK with that 10 premium) sold out and then made a video complaining he had nothing to sell a few months later. You know there is a serious inefficiency when people are quitting day jobs over bulk submissions. And I think the new owners of PSA recognized this because.....

Anything returned within the last month or so I see TONS of 8.5's, 7.5's which has never been the case. Either the new ownership put a stop to the madness of handing out 10's like candy due to depreciation of their brand long term, or they recognize that in the long run CGC's harsh but impartial grading is going to win out as the grading community becomes more and more optimized (buy the card not the grade), so they started getting way more strict and also implemented .5's more often as well.

34 minutes ago, PokemanDude90 said:

A late night streamer watch sometimes got a Bulk submission back from PSA a month ago or so and it was literally almost straight 10's. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Infuriating that these things are the 'pinnacle of condition' in the community. Absolute joke. Another Poketuber ZandGemporium got a big Japanese bulk return of nearly straight 10's, and quit his day job!!! He listed all the cards on Ebay, made sure he was the lowest priced on each card (didn't matter because he still made BANK with that 10 premium) sold out and then made a video complaining he had nothing to sell a few months later. You know there is a serious inefficiency when people are quitting day jobs over bulk submissions. And I think the new owners of PSA recognized this because.....

Anything returned within the last month or so I see TONS of 8.5's, 7.5's which has never been the case. Either the new ownership put a stop to the madness of handing out 10's like candy due to depreciation of their brand long term, or they recognize that in the long run CGC's harsh but impartial grading is going to win out as the grading community becomes more and more optimized (buy the card not the grade), so they started getting way more strict and also implemented .5's more often as well.

Well for starters, most day jobs in america suck lol. Even people with high level degrees dont make great money now a days even with putting in 60 hour work weeks. I quit 2 corporate jobs to flip cards since its much easier and more profitable than whatever bogus career these corporations were offering me.

Second, most newer cards are probably 10s. Unless a set has awful quality control, most newer cards, especially Japanese cards, are in perfect condition. To artificially downgrade seems stupid too since if the market has nothing but perfect modern cards, it just is what it is. The production quality is high then. With Shining Fates though, that set has a bunch of quality control issues, so that set alone could have lots of lower grades.

It will always probably be buy the label, not the card. Its been this way forever now. The secondary market does not really care that CGC grades better. I know many people think that the market should care, but it doesnt. It just is what it is. And when you think about it, there is no realistic difference between a 9.5 and a 10. Most 9.5's are perfect cards too. The BGS/CGC 10s have always been marketing gimmicks.

1 hour ago, geraldfordfan69 said:

I dont think their undervalued since they are equal to BGS's 10 scale. Its not like its a scale that we have never seen before.

Perfect/Pristine 10s are only really going to make a difference on extremely expensive cards. Random japanese promos are whatever, they get a small premium at best. The 1st ed base stuff or neo shinings or tournament cards is where it will matter. On average though, the 9.5 just doesnt perform on the market as well as the PSA 10. 10 is greater than 9.5 and thats how people are looking at it.

PSA has sucked for years but no matter what, their cards still get the most money. It doesnt matter what the grade quality is. Most consumers really do not care about the process behind it. Its all about that stupid white label. And I dont see CGC ever catching up. As much as I like it for the company who does the best job to have their cards worth the most money, the market is irrational and doesnt see it that way.

I can see from a flipper perspective why the cards I picked out would not really be viewed as premium. However, I am not in the flipping game. I am in for the long haul.

Once I am fully done, I am likely to buy safe(s), shove everything in with some being displayed and rotated in and out of display. My collection will likely go to my Son, so long as he grows up to be a good human.

I also happen to personally like how the cards I picked out looked, especially the Pokecenter Lady. IMO it's THE Waifu card to have as it's the best looking IMO. I don't get why Marnie is so popular, is it a good game card? If so, then what good is it in a sealed slab? My Jungle Scyther is not worth alot just cause it was good at the game. So I believe with time, people will value the Pokecenter Lady since it really is the best looking one and I doubt anything soon will top it.

Well I am not saying people need to buy up CGC 9/9.5s and turn them into PSA 10s. All someone has to do is literally grab all the CGC 10s and mark their price higher than PSA. What is the market going to reply with? That these stricter, rarer(cause CGC has less slabs than PSA), higher then your PSA 10 slabs are not worth more? People will follow.

7 minutes ago, Toybot said:

I can see from a flipper perspective why the cards I picked out would not really be viewed as premium. However, I am not in the flipping game. I am in for the long haul.

Once I am fully done, I am likely to buy safe(s), shove everything in with some being displayed and rotated in and out of display. My collection will likely go to my Son, so long as he grows up to be a good human.

I also happen to personally like how the cards I picked out looked, especially the Pokecenter Lady. IMO it's THE Waifu card to have as it's the best looking IMO. I don't get why Marnie is so popular, is it a good game card? If so, then what good is it in a sealed slab? My Jungle Scyther is not worth alot just cause it was good at the game. So I believe with time, people will value the Pokecenter Lady since it really is the best looking one and I doubt anything soon will top it.

Well I am not saying people need to buy up CGC 9/9.5s and turn them into PSA 10s. All someone has to do is literally grab all the CGC 10s and mark their price higher than PSA. What is the market going to reply with? That these stricter, rarer(cause CGC has less slabs than PSA), higher then your PSA 10 slabs are not worth more? People will follow.

I dont think you really understand card the market if you think modern japanese promos are going to be good investments.

For starters, they are printed into oblivion. Anything worth money in the future will be cards that did not have high level print runs. Especially japanese cards that have high print quality. Those 10s arent that hard to get. Even over time, that just wont change that much. If you want good investments, you have to look at stuff with low print runs and quality control issues, not cards that everyone has. An example of this would be Burning Shadows Charizard GX Secret Rares. Burning Shadows had terrible quality control. Finding those charizards at anything above a 9 is extremely hard to do. Unlike the Charizard VMAX from the starter decks that have been printed into oblivion and that have tons of 10s everywhere.

In this case, its not CGC being strict. They grade tons of japanese cards as 10s since lots of them dont have any issues. Its not really that special of a card like you want to think that it is.

Now that PSA has stopped new submissions until August, and CGC is likely to be flooded with new submissions, will CGC be further behind with “receiving” packages that have already been ordered and delivered? For example, I sent 3 separate packages to CGC for grading of trading cards, which were all delivered prior to PSA’s announcement. However, they were all sent through the “standard” tier. Are my packages going to be sent much further down the pile to be received or is the 10-20 day period to receive still in place? My packages were delivered the week of March 15th.

2 hours ago, geraldfordfan69 said:

I dont think you really understand card the market if you think modern japanese promos are going to be good investments.

For starters, they are printed into oblivion. Anything worth money in the future will be cards that did not have high level print runs. Especially japanese cards that have high print quality. Those 10s arent that hard to get. Even over time, that just wont change that much. If you want good investments, you have to look at stuff with low print runs and quality control issues, not cards that everyone has. An example of this would be Burning Shadows Charizard GX Secret Rares. Burning Shadows had terrible quality control. Finding those charizards at anything above a 9 is extremely hard to do. Unlike the Charizard VMAX from the starter decks that have been printed into oblivion and that have tons of 10s everywhere.

In this case, its not CGC being strict. They grade tons of japanese cards as 10s since lots of them dont have any issues. Its not really that special of a card like you want to think that it is.

IMO it really depends. I got those 2 perfect ones for 450 each. 2 were sold at $1,200 each. I could triple my money today on these so I have a hard time believing that there's no worth in them.

Is there better and crazier like what you listed off, yup. But they are not the entire market. 

I also got this Chari in. I don't really agree with you, in the long haul, that this $400 purchase can't become insane in say 20 or 30 years?

20210401_151851.thumb.jpg.d779cb5cdebdd8bf0c401d3c89106542.jpg

I think that 2020 is going to carry more weight into the future.

I will say I do not KNOW the flip market. Don't know, don't care. But I think you should rethink your opinion that I don't understand card markets. This is just some of the collection I made when I was 13.

20210401_153102.thumb.jpg.fecbf1bb61a0970e771d49ab9f640173.jpg

20210401_153139.thumb.jpg.dbace9153b52b137fb01500e50859ef0.jpg

That collection cost me about $1,500. Today, $100,000. I think I know what I'm doing.

Edit: Will also add, I paid for all those myself from buying and selling pokemon cards in middle school. I was very good at upselling and knowing how to make small cards big, and big cards bigger. Enough so I was able to purchase all these as my collection. So, I UNDERSTAND the flip market, I do not KNOW the flip market today and again, do not care.

Edited by Toybot

3 hours ago, PokemanDude90 said:

I like CGC. I do enjoy their stricter grading and I truly appreciate the few cards I have gotten back that received pristine 10s. And I know there are people that say CGC 9.5s are PSA 10s, which in theory is correct from a grading standpoint, but I just do not want to collect a bunch of 9.5s. Its just not a collection I want to build or hold long term and CGC has a real problem when it comes to this. 

28 minutes ago, Toybot said:

IMO it really depends. I got those 2 perfect ones for 450 each. 2 were sold at $1,200 each. I could triple my money today on these so I have a hard time believing that there's no worth in them.

Is there better and crazier like what you listed off, yup. But they are not the entire market. 

I also got this Chari in. I don't really agree with you, in the long haul, that this $400 purchase can't become insane in say 20 or 30 years?

20210401_151851.thumb.jpg.d779cb5cdebdd8bf0c401d3c89106542.jpg

I think that 2020 is going to carry more weight into the future.

I will say I do not KNOW the flip market. Don't know, don't care. But I think you should rethink your opinion that I don't understand card markets. This is just some of the collection I made when I was 13.

20210401_153102.thumb.jpg.fecbf1bb61a0970e771d49ab9f640173.jpg

20210401_153139.thumb.jpg.dbace9153b52b137fb01500e50859ef0.jpg

That collection cost me about $1,500. Today, $100,000. I think I know what I'm doing.

Edit: Will also add, I paid for all those myself from buying and selling pokemon cards in middle school. I was very good at upselling and knowing how to make small cards big, and big cards bigger. Enough so I was able to purchase all these as my collection. So, I UNDERSTAND the flip market, I do not KNOW the flip market today and again, do not care.

I highly doubt starter deck cards will shoot up like crazy in the future. What your showing was stuff that was not printed into oblivion. That is over 20 years old. That wasnt graded to death. In a market to where children actually played with the cards and damaged them. Where natural attrition occurred and not every new card got slabbed and print runs were not done like crazy.

Your not looking at the entire picture. Whats going on in 2020 is not the same as what Pokemon was like back in the late 90s. Its two different worlds that will have two different outcomes. Pokemon today is overprinted, overhyped by social media, overgraded and maybe even overrated in general. I could be wrong, but based on what I know, yeah it just makes no sense to be buying perfect condition japanese cards thinking that they will be worth a ton of money when they are printed into oblivion and have no issues with them. There is nothing about them that makes them special enough to preserve. 

Edited by geraldfordfan69

2 minutes ago, geraldfordfan69 said:

I highly doubt starter deck cards will shoot up like crazy in the future. What your showing was stuff that was not printed into oblivion. That is over 20 years old. That wasnt graded to death. In a market to where children actually played with the cards and damaged them. Where natural attrition occurred and not every new card got slabbed.

Your not looking at the entire picture. Whats going on in 2020 is not the same as what Pokemon was like back in the late 90s. Its two different worlds that will have two different outcomes.

It's very funny- everything you just told me was what everyone else was trying to tell me 20something years ago. I think I know what I am doing.

4 minutes ago, Toybot said:

It's very funny- everything you just told me was what everyone else was trying to tell me 20something years ago. I think I know what I am doing.

I dont think you really read what I wrote if you think that lol. Pokemon was not being slabbed to death or was it being printed into oblivion 20+ years ago. There was no youtubers who were hyping it up like its some kind of life saving medicine like they do today. They also did not have the card quality that they have today with Japanese cards. And kids actually played with them. What about that is still happening in 2021? Since I dont see kids jamming Charizard VMAXs on the playgrounds or do I see less print runs like it was back in the 90s. Just break it down for me how what happened 20 years ago is anything similar to how it is today.

Edited by geraldfordfan69

1 minute ago, Yeahiwasder4dat said:

Must be some time travellers, because no one graded anything 20 years ago 🤔 Buying in now is like buying in the 80s-90s.

Nobody was holding those old boxes either. I dunno what this guy is trying to say lol since hes not making any sense. There was no groups of people hoarding Hidden Fates for the next 20 years like there was back in the day. Nobody thought back in the 90s that Pokemon was going to make it a decade, let alone 5 years. Some people win the lottery and try to act like it took some skill. Yeah I guess you bought a scratch ticket, that took some effort, but its mostly dumb luck that this stuff has the value that it has today.

3 minutes ago, geraldfordfan69 said:

I dont think you really read what I wrote if you think that lol. Pokemon was not being slabbed to death or was it being printed into oblivion 20+ years ago. There was no youtubers who were hyping it up like its some kind of life saving medicine like they do today. They also did not have the card quality that they have today with Japanese cards. And kids actually played with them. What about that is still happening in 2021? Since I dont see kids jamming Charizard VMAXs on the playgrounds or do I see less print runs like it was back in the 90s. Just break it down for me how what happened 20 years ago is anything similar to how it is today.

It's relevant in that everyone tends to believe they are in the Golden Age for whatever their thing is. Sometimes that's true. But literally, LITERALLY every argument you made is a repeat of arguments from 2000.

I'm so stupid for getting Jungle/Fossil Boxes, don't you know they printed 10x more of those than Base 1st Edition? Man what a waste of money- they all said.

Why would I get Japanese Promo cards? No one cares about that. What a waste to get that CD and sealed southern islands pack or Neo Files- They all said.

You paid $100 for a PIECE OF CARDBOARD. God, you think that Charizard is going to be worth anything more then $40 in a year?- They all said.

I heard it all, it's all the same arguments. You think things have changed- life lesson:

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I think I know what I am doing.

:)

5 minutes ago, geraldfordfan69 said:

Nobody was holding those old boxes either. I dunno what this guy is trying to say lol since hes not making any sense. There was no groups of people hoarding Hidden Fates for the next 20 years like there was back in the day. Nobody thought back in the 90s that Pokemon was going to make it a decade, let alone 5 years. Some people win the lottery and try to act like it took some skill. Yeah I guess you bought a scratch ticket, that took some effort, but its mostly dumb luck that this stuff has the value that it has today.

tenor-1.gif.c195ebb36b33c836871ff8f2eaa1464c.gif