• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early Archie prices

576 posts in this topic

Well...I thought the Archie 1 went a bit lower than I expected, although it was in line with recent sales. The Archie 3, I thought might do better than it did given the recent Archie 2 sale on Heritage. And the other 3 (4, 5 and 7)--of course the ones I was bidding on--went way higher than I had expected. No upgrades for me :(

I thought the #1 and #3 would go a bit higher as well. I put a bid on #3 last evening and was planning to bid again (still wrestling with my ceiling) at end of auction but my day got away from me and I missed it. I probably would have lost anyway since I am not much of an eBay gunslinger and wasn't going to chase at any cost.

Well...I thought the Archie 1 went a bit lower than I expected, although it was in line with recent sales. The Archie 3, I thought might do better than it did given the recent Archie 2 sale on Heritage. And the other 3 (4, 5 and 7)--of course the ones I was bidding on--went way higher than I had expected. No upgrades for me :(

I thought the #1 and #3 would go a bit higher as well. I put a bid on #3 last evening and was planning to bid again (still wrestling with my ceiling) at end of auction but my day got away from me and I missed it. I probably would have lost anyway since I am not much of an eBay gunslinger and wasn't going to chase at any cost.

I believe these Archie auctions ended a little lower today than they normally would have on a Sunday night due to today being Mother`s Day. Usually on special days like today no reserve auctions tend to end a little lower than normal, at least that is my personal experience. There are some ebay bidders that only bid in the last hour or the last few minutes of an auction. Several of those last minute bidders may still have been out with their families today when those Archie auctions were ending. This is not always the case when it comes to ebay auctions but in my dealings on ebay this tends to be more the case than not.

I can see the rust scaring off higher bids on the #3. It's a sharp copy and looks like it would grade at least a 9.0 without the rust migration, but some collectors might think that sort of defect should get hammered a little harder. I don't track archie prices, but compared to the seriously overgraded 5.0 that sold a week earlier, it looks like a deal.

On the other hand while the piece out of the back cover on the #1 probably justifies the 4.0 grade, the front cover eye-appeal is pretty close to that of the 4 & 5. If any of you saw the 4.0 #1 and the 5.0 #3 in the raw side by side, would you give the #1 the lower grade?

Watching the auction I thought there was alot of last second bidding on the 4 and the 5. EJR

That does not surprise me, however I do think there may have been more last minute bidding if the auctions were to have ended on a different day than Mother`s Day.

On a different note the Archie #1 Cgc 8.5 that sold on Heritage for $167,300 on February 25, 2011 has an offer of $225k as of May 10, 2012 through the Heritage "Make Offer to Owner" link. Makes you wonder how much the Church copies of Archie #1 and Pep #22 would go for now? Any thoughts?

I'm betting whoever won the #1 jumped for joy at the ending price. I was sure it would sell between $25k & $28k.

If it was a regular 4.0 maybe $23,200 is right, but with that amazing front cover.... it elevates the price IMO!

One day, I too want to be able to bid with the big boys.

I agree with the group, it was a solid buy. And the mother's day phenomena may have something too it, i didn't see alot of run up in some of the other books i was watching (e.g, AF15 in cgc 6.0 was already at $20,200 and sold for $20,500....but that is a healthy price anyways)

I didn't watch the bidding towards the end. I had forgotten, what with Mother's Day and all. I wasn't sure the single digit books would go as high as they did so I was just a bit surprised.

For the #1, I do agree that the final price seems a little low given the overall attractiveness of the book. For a book that tough to get in nice shape, a piece out of the back cover, especially the white border area, would be pretty insignificant to me.

The Dark Horse archives are up to volume 5 now in addition to their "Archie Firsts" volume. Along with Jon Goldwater's efforts to get Archie back into the public eye, I'm thinking that the availability of the reprints in the archives is starting to drive collector interest for the originals.

If they include the Laugh stories in the archives as well, that may eventually give a market boost to that title.

Wow! The $31k for the #2 was a shocker. I was thinking of bidding on it when it was at about one-forth of that... :roflmao:

I had a similar experience. I was very close to putting a bid on it when it first opened but then the ping pong match started and I could only watch in amazement.

I thought the Pep 22 might see one last bump up based on this result but it was still a strong price. Little Archie #1 sold at an insane $5,078.

Absolutely no clue what happened there...

The Pep #22 Cgc 2.0 going for 35k was a very strong price. I had figured between 25k and 30K with it possibly going closer to 30k. 35k goes to show how strong the demand is for this book. I was trying to figure out how many other comics in 2.0 grade would bring 35k, not really too many that I can think of.

Is it just me or is Overstreet just completely out to lunch with respect to his guide prices on the Pep as compared to the Archie books. He has every single equivalent issue of the early Pep books either lower or at the same price as the early Archie books. This is definitely not something that you see with respect to the early Batman books as compared to his early issues in the Detective run. The same applies to the early Superman books as compared to his early appearances in the Action run.

So, why are the Archie books worth the same or more than his earlier equvalent run in Pep comics? Although it is generally acknowledged that Pep 22 is worth more than Archie 1 in the marketplace, does the same also apply for Pep 23 versus Archie 2, Pep 24 versus Archie 3, etc.? hm

That's a good question, and I'm not sure there's a good answer.

Archie 2 seems to be worth more than Pep 23, which is probably a function of scarcity. Beyond that, there really aren't enough sales of the early Peps in various grades for me to say too much. I would guess that Archie 2-9 are probably all more valuable than Pep 23-30 across all grades (with the Pep 26/Archie 5 comparison being the wild card). After that, Pep 31 up are more expensive than Archie 10 up.

The recent $8K+ sales of Archie 3 (8.0), 4 (7.0) and 5 (7.0), seem to show that the Archie title is ahead of Pep, but I don't have any recent sales of Pep 24, 25 or 26 in those grade ranges to compare. Maybe they would sell for more. Who knows? (shrug)

I think some of this disparity is due to the fact that the early Archie books are single staple books and are often found with detached covers, whereas the Peps are 2 staple books, so more common with covers attached.

So, maybe for once Overstreet has it right :o

I would add that some other factors that may contribute to the early Archie Pep's being worth less in comparison to single digit Archie's may be:

1 - No Archie on the cover. Many early Detective issues have Batman covers.

2 - Only one Archie story per issue

3 - The remainder of the adventure/hero format of Pep may not appeal to Archie/teen humor fans the way Detective's other stories may still appeal to Batman fans.

Factors driving the price of the single digit Archies:

1 - Very difficult to locate

2 - Great early Archie covers

3 - Almost all Archie content

And lest we forget, early Archie issues include Cubby The Bear's earliest appearances. lol

I would add that some other factors that may contribute to the early Archie Pep's being worth less in comparison to single digit Archie's may be:

1 - No Archie on the cover. Many early Detective issues have Batman covers.

2 - Only one Archie story per issue

3 - The remainder of the adventure/hero format of Pep may not appeal to Archie/teen humor fans the way Detective's other stories may still appeal to Batman fans.

Factors driving the price of the single digit Archies:

1 - Very difficult to locate

2 - Great early Archie covers

3 - Almost all Archie content

And lest we forget, early Archie issues include Cubby The Bear's earliest appearances. lol

When I think of Cubby all I can think of is those darn "Draw Me" contests from Art Instruction Schools.

Wow! The $31k for the #2 was a shocker. I was thinking of bidding on it when it was at about one-forth of that... :roflmao:

I had a similar experience. I was very close to putting a bid on it when it first opened but then the ping pong match started and I could only watch in amazement.

I thought the Pep 22 might see one last bump up based on this result but it was still a strong price. Little Archie #1 sold at an insane $5,078.

Absolutely no clue what happened there...

The Pep #22 Cgc 2.0 going for 35k was a very strong price. I had figured between 25k and 30K with it possibly going closer to 30k. 35k goes to show how strong the demand is for this book. I was trying to figure out how many other comics in 2.0 grade would bring 35k, not really too many that I can think of.

Is it just me or is Overstreet just completely out to lunch with respect to his guide prices on the Pep as compared to the Archie books. He has every single equivalent issue of the early Pep books either lower or at the same price as the early Archie books. This is definitely not something that you see with respect to the early Batman books as compared to his early issues in the Detective run. The same applies to the early Superman books as compared to his early appearances in the Action run.

So, why are the Archie books worth the same or more than his earlier equvalent run in Pep comics? Although it is generally acknowledged that Pep 22 is worth more than Archie 1 in the marketplace, does the same also apply for Pep 23 versus Archie 2, Pep 24 versus Archie 3, etc.? hm

Archie's car is on the cover of #2. How much is that worth? :cloud9:

I believe these Archie auctions ended a little lower today than they normally would have on a Sunday night due to today being Mother`s Day. Usually on special days like today no reserve auctions tend to end a little lower than normal, at least that is my personal experience. There are some ebay bidders that only bid in the last hour or the last few minutes of an auction. Several of those last minute bidders may still have been out with their families today when those Archie auctions were ending. This is not always the case when it comes to ebay auctions but in my dealings on ebay this tends to be more the case than not.

I also thought that it was strange to end the auction on Mother's Day. I missed the end of the auction due to - you guessed it - being with my mother on that day. I suppose Sparkle City figured that the serious bidders would prioritize such an important auction above their family obligations, but I don't know... It's Mom we're talking about here.

I also thought that it was strange to end the auction on Mother's Day. I missed the end of the auction due to - you guessed it - being with my mother on that day. I suppose Sparkle City figured that the serious bidders would prioritize such an important auction above their family obligations, but I don't know... It's Mom we're talking about here.

Please note that what I stated regarding the Archie auctions ending possibly lower than they normally would due to the auctions ending on Mother`s Day was in no way any disrespect to Sparklecitycomics. I was just stating my opinion and to be honest with you I have also ended auctions on special days (Mother`s Day, Thanksgiving, etc.) not initially realizing that they were going to end on a holiday.

I would also like to say that I have won an auction from Sparklecitycomics and the transaction was a 10 from beginning to end!!!

I see an ARCHIE COMICS #15 listed on the current Heritage

Auction site...what does anyone think the final price will be?

mm