• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

May Heritage Auction starting to look pretty interesting
3 3

319 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Carlo M said:

This probably went below the radar as it was in one of HA ‘s weekly auctions, but it has to be an absolute record for P Smith ‘ s XM interiors .  I know that issue is quite coveted but …wow !

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/paul-smith-and-bob-wiacek-x-men-172-page-7-original-art-marvel-1983-/a/122124-13956.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Prior to this auction, I was thinking an A-level page would be worth $20K…guess I’ll have to revise upwards 

2 hours ago, Carlo M said:

This probably went below the radar as it was in one of HA ‘s weekly auctions, but it has to be an absolute record for P Smith ‘ s XM interiors .  I know that issue is quite coveted but …wow !

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/paul-smith-and-bob-wiacek-x-men-172-page-7-original-art-marvel-1983-/a/122124-13956.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Isn’t this from Gene’s very first comic that got him reading and collecting? hm:whistle:

Paging @delekkerste :hi:

4 hours ago, Carlo M said:

saying this went below the radar is a misnomer... lol

But seriously I think this one is an outlier because of certain circumstances... but who really knows because as I have stated all over the boards there has been 0 PSM xmen pages at auction over the last couple years until this one. so who knows the correct market? 

9 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Prior to this auction, I was thinking an A-level page would be worth $20K…guess I’ll have to revise upwards 

I'm sure many of us were eyeing that page wistfully as the price went up, up, up. There just aren't many of them. He did ten issues of Uncanny X-Men in his celebrated run, one of which had 40 pages and one of which he did 29 pages (and JRJr finished), so that's what, 235 pages? Plus 96 pages of X-Men/Alpha Flight. It's the triple whammy of being a popular run and a short one and work that looks really good even today.

2 hours ago, RBerman said:

The more general problem is that we have no immediate way to know whether a given piece was “won” by its owner as a ploy to boost the perceived value of his other inventory.

Wouldn't the commission cost be like $2600?  Pretty steep cost for market manipulation. 

17 hours ago, RBerman said:

I'm sure many of us were eyeing that page wistfully as the price went up, up, up. There just aren't many of them. He did ten issues of Uncanny X-Men in his celebrated run, one of which had 40 pages and one of which he did 29 pages (and JRJr finished), so that's what, 235 pages? Plus 96 pages of X-Men/Alpha Flight. It's the triple whammy of being a popular run and a short one and work that looks really good even today.

Didn’t 166 have more than the standard number of pages, similar to 175?