• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

May Heritage Auction starting to look pretty interesting
3 3

319 posts in this topic

On 6/18/2021 at 4:46 AM, Verbow said:

$90k after juice and seven Fair Warnings.   Wow 

DA882C5A-46BA-4EF3-BEFC-EDBEAE7FF9A1.jpeg

Congrats to the buyer on this. Just curious if this piece is historically significant or if there is a reason other than more than one person really wanted it why it went so high.  No doubt its a cool piece but $90K seems a lot. 

1 hour ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Anyone have some insight on why this portacio panel broke 10k? Something special or is that where we are now for his x related art ? 

89CA6D95-04C5-4287-B428-F0F6AF8B2517.png

The HA description mentions X-Factor #67 (1991) includes a battle over the future of young Nathan Summers and the “time-twisting origin of Cable”.   However, X-Men 201 is recognized as first Cable as Nathan Summers and was published 5 years earlier than this page from X-Factor #67. 

6 minutes ago, GreatEscape said:

The HA description mentions X-Factor #67 (1991) includes a battle over the future of young Nathan Summers and the “time-twisting origin of Cable”.   However, X-Men 201 is recognized as first Cable as Nathan Summers and was published 5 years earlier than this page from X-Factor #67. 

Hey Dino, yea I’m familiar with the storyline here and as a big X-men fan… not really a significant event in my opinion… like someone said a very pretty page but there is not even an X-men or xfactor member on the page lol 

1 hour ago, GreatEscape said:

X-Factor #67 is a retcon. Cable was not originally conceived as the older version of Nathan Summers, but simply a new character with a mysterious past. Liefeld did not have a particular origin in mind and apparently didn't mind the linking of Cable to the Summers family.

However, the revelation that Stryfe is a still-older version of Cable was baked in from the beginning.

3 hours ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Anyone have some insight on why this portacio panel broke 10k? Something special or is that where we are now for his x related art ? 

Damn. I have the two page sequence where Jean and Scott give up baby Nathan Summers to her. Would those go as crazy?

4 hours ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

If I had to guess, I think it's just a continuation of the love affair for '90s comics. Demographics/nostalgic content and the aesthetics of that period are in full bloom. I don't think this Portacio page is significant other than it checks off all those 90's boxes.

8 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

If I had to guess, I think it's just a continuation of the love affair for '90s comics. Demographics/nostalgic content and the aesthetics of that period are in full bloom. I don't think this Portacio page is significant other than it checks off all those 90's boxes.

I’m going with this too.

For all the “kinda Cable connection”, very well crafted page art-wise, pure Whilce as opposed to the Whilce/Scott Clark/various, etc things that this page has going for it, I don’t think it’s that nuanced. 

19 hours ago, szav said:

Speaking of GA era OA getting its due...wasn't more than a year or two ago these were going for 1-1.5k, and this isn't even a higher quality Baker Flamingo.  I wonder if this will prove to be an outlier at 11.4k.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/comic-strip-art/matt-baker-flamingo-daily-comic-strip-116-original-art-dated-6-23-52-phoenix-features-1952-/a/7244-95040.s?type=bidnotice-outbid

image.thumb.png.0771ba2aa2c9a680adb999065055c13f.png

Classic strip art took a big jump in prices, almost across the board...

Al Capp Li'l Abner 1938 daily for $1040 (others from this "Dogpatch in foreclosure and Abner has to raise $1M" sequence have sold for small fractions of this price over the last few years).

Chester Gould Tracy Sundays at $7.8K and $5.4K (this continues the recent upward trend of Gould DT art, particularly from the 1940s).

Frank Frazetta Johnny Comet Sunday for $57K.

Jack Kamen Inspector Dayton daily for $1040 (from 2017-2020, these have sold on HA for $100-$200)

Warren Tufts Casey Ruggles Sunday for $3.3K (a new record for Tufts art on HA and nearly double the previous high price for a CR Sunday).

Milt Caniff Terry and the Pirates dailies also sold for strong prices. 

Even the Messick Brenda Starr dailies sold for substantially more than other 2019-2020 sales.

Given small sampling...outlier or indicator of trend for GA strip art? 

2 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

I don't think anyone mentioned the BWS Conan 2 cover coming in at 264k. That's a lot of cheese for a "flat or stagnating BWS Conan market" often talked about here on these boards in the last few years. It's also a really nice cover, one I would be happy to own, but not one of the top 5, or probably even top 10. Before the auction, I would have guessed no more than 125-140k. So yeah, BIG close on this one!

There's only one fella that I can recall that mentioned this on the boards, and I don't think he's as active as he was once upon a time.

Still, $264K for the Conan 2 cover is a pretty big number, all things considered.

3 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

I don't think anyone mentioned the BWS Conan 2 cover coming in at 264k. That's a lot of cheese for a "flat or stagnating BWS Conan market" often talked about here on these boards in the last few years. It's also a really nice cover, one I would be happy to own, but not one of the top 5, or probably even top 10. Before the auction, I would have guessed no more than 125-140k. So yeah, BIG close on this one!

How much of that result is "#2"? Seriously asking.

57 minutes ago, Captain Calamity said:

Given small sampling...outlier or indicator of trend for GA strip art? 

Trend: everything else is too bloody expensive. Guess I'll "strip" instead.

56 minutes ago, vodou said:

Trend: everything else is too bloody expensive. Guess I'll "strip" instead.

Which may be true, but is nutty, in my opinion. Why don’t people look at really good unappreciated art, like that by Jerry Grandinetti, for example? There is a lot of it out there, pieces by Jack Sparling or Grey Morrow, and other old timers, really unappreciated.