• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, comicjack said:

One tends to read and abuse in the start of collecting .The older ones are taken better care of along the way.

Anyone collecting 5000 books over ten years is kind of buying them compulsively after a while too.   I bet many of the later ones were never even read 

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

Anyone collecting 5000 books over ten years is kind of buying them compulsively after a while too.   I bet many of the later ones were never even read 

Like the Mile High

24 minutes ago, szav said:

My official wild guess as to the meaning of the pedigree name is that someone made a promise to keep buying books for someone during their absence, only that person never returned.  That could explain the pristine condition of the later books vs the lower grades on the earlier ones.

Several people have privately teased at some awesome backstory here, but have otherwise been tight lipped...can't wait to see the reveal from HA which will happen soon enough.

What if the parents (or a sibling) promised to keep the comics while the collector served in Korea but he didn't return.

Edited by vheflin

On 4/28/2021 at 10:43 PM, Mmehdy said:

I never suggested a 5000 comic book auction, a 1500 book one would probably break the world record comic auction price. HA is going to put the lesser books in the weekly auctions to promote them. They have 52 of those, plus 4 signature auctions. I would say if there are a real total of 5000 that we see 2500 a year, over two years. The impact on the GA comic book market is once in a lifetime. These books separate the men from the boys. As in every type of auction, there will be bargains, now that might not be apparent right away, but say 5 years from now you are all gonna say...I  should of bought more!

The GA comic book market is gonna overall is going to go up, more interest on this once in a lifetime event. Everyone better start looking out on those weekly auctions, as the first couple of weeks, I predict some books will slip thru the cracks, and look like great deals in just a couple of years.

Darn, I guess I'm out, I'll just watch and disable my bidding button.

1 minute ago, adamstrange said:

Large GA Pedigrees:

Church, Crippen, Crowley, Dell FC, Harvey FC

I think it's Top 10 but probably not Top 5.

Question:

I was always on the fence when it came to FC and whether they held the same weight as OO...thoughts?

40 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

Question:

I was always on the fence when it came to FC and whether they held the same weight as OO...thoughts?

The Gaines file copies certainly.  In my experience with Silver Age, not so much for the Random House archives/Dell file copies.

23 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

And to think just yesterday I committed to a Cap 46 7.5. I predict $150k on this 9.2

Would CGC note:  Human Torch story in 9.2 really command more than CGC note: 1st appearance of Aquaman 1st appearance of Green Arrow in 8.0 (with only 2 higher)....if these auctions were legit?

52 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

Question:

It depends on what you mean by "weight".  Original owner comics often come with an interesting back story.  Harvey and Dell files contained tons of uber high grade comics.

3 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

It depends on what you mean by "weight".  Original owner comics often come with an interesting back story.  Harvey and Dell files contained tons of uber high grade comics.

I suppose by weight I mean gravitas in the collecting community...an OO collection seems to be more impressive from a collector standpoint...FC's, although uber high grade, were "just" copies that were filed away without the "handling" factor that makes OO collections that much more impressive when you consider shipping to and eventual handling at the newsstand, followed by further handling from the collector, etc.

21 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

I would be surprised if they put all 5,000 books up in one auction.  That would not be how I would do it if I were the seller.  

Exactly.  Sellers bring in stacks of 5000 books....the auction house auctions the top 100....and they buy the remaining 4900 and store them in their warehouse for 10 years.  They clean, press, post some as hammering for crazy high prices....and auction some for real.

11 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

I suppose by weight I mean gravitas in the collecting community...an OO collection seems to be more impressive from a collector standpoint...FC's, although uber high grade, were "just" copies that were filed away without the "handling" factor that makes OO collections that much more impressive when you consider shipping to and eventual handling at the newsstand, followed by further handling from the collector, etc.

The main problem with the Dell and Harvey books is they were Dell and Harvey books.

The Gaines file copies were just the same - but those are ECs so nobody comes up with a reason not to like them.

Edited by Bronty

3 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Although I have absolutely zero problems with this collection gettinspecial treatment in terms of being fast tracked through both the pressing and grading process plus most likely not having to pay for it like everybody else here, the issue that I do have serious problems with is with CGC seemingly adjusting their undisclosed grading standards just for this collection to take into account some of the obvious "non-defects" around the spine, edges, and staple areas that seems to be on some of the books we have seen here so far.  hm  (tsk)

Any bets that if I had turned in a book like this one here with this very obvious and flagrant defect , I would probably be looking at somewhere in the CGC 6's if I was lucky:  :frustrated:  :censored:

If I am bidding on these books in the upcoming Heritage Auction, I would definitely take some of these grades with a grain of salt, and as always, I guess we should always take a look at the underlying book in the holder itself.  Although all of these books from this collection are most definitely very beautiful, just not so sure about the "beautiful" grades on some of them.  Looks like the old mantra of buy the book, as opposed to buy the label is even more applicable for books coming out from this collection here.  hm  

don't bid on this book.   Simple.

I get you are concerned that other books may be overgraded, but there's big big scans, so look for books where no such obvious judgement calls were made and leave this copy for a label chaser.

Edited by Bronty