• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, szav said:

I have a sure-fire plan to win that Tec 140...I'm going to double that $2 bid...hm:whatthe:

2 hours ago, LordRahl said:

So you're making a determination that this was "punishment grading" from a picture of the front cover of a book, in a slab? That might explain why you always seem to think CGC is wrong and you are right in respect to grade. Because of course grading from a picture of a book of only the front cover in a slab is more accurate than grading with the book raw and in hand :frustrated::censored:

No, as it's quite obvious to me that somebody else here  (tsk)  is also not paying attention to what's being posted here, as I had  already clearly stated in my original response to this scan from @sfcityduck  that you cannot accurately grade a book without actually having the book in hand:  (thumbsu

On 5/26/2021 at 11:11 AM, lou_fine said:

From the scan here, it would definitely appear that the book has been severely undergraded from my own personal point of view, although you cannot accurately grade a book without actually having it in hand. 

Although this is definitely true for books that might appear to be possibly undergraded, it is a lot easier to tell if a book is possibly overgraded from a scan, especially in the case of clear and obvious visual defects which other books in equivalent grades would generally not have. (thumbsu

As I had also pointed out in my original post on this scan of the WDCS 69, it was also based upon the Grader's Notes that the defects were "light spine stresss lines" and "moderate creases" to the front cover which @sfcityduck stated that he could NOT see because they did not exist.  From the scan, all I will say is that I have definitely seen more tiny spine ticks on books graded into the 8's and low 9's, as opposed to this CGC 7.0 graded book here:  (shrug)

IMG_0199.thumb.jpg.341104805435814a94716e189cf66f6e.jpg

Edited by lou_fine

1 minute ago, szav said:

Sone opportunistic seller snuck a 4.5 into this auction and even that’s at $7,500 already.

I think the 9.6 PL 17 might finish the highest of the round 1 promise  books but who knows with the AA61 or Tec 140.

I agree. The PL 17 will finish highest.

1 hour ago, Mmehdy said:

The GA comic book market. widget buyer  vs TCBC will determine demand and price. CGC pressing the books, HA.com whether or not a shareholder of the CGC are side issues. Maybe on 100 books maybe not, this is OVER 5000 and market conditions are gonna control.

The promise books, whether CGC graded or not are great period. 

I agree 100%. They are great books. That is a given. I was only saying that the hype of the collection and the advertising of it are also part of "market conditions". And perhaps once the auction is well over, collectors will begin to compare them to the Church collection with a clearer mind. I congratulate anyone who purchases from the collection. They will be way over my head.

On 5/25/2021 at 10:01 PM, sfcityduck said:

Geez, you got a Promise(ing) bonus on that one.  Me, I'm the opposite, I had this WDC&S from 1946 as structurally at least an 8.5, and it was bone white.  Here's what I got in 2019:

IMG_0199.thumb.jpg.341104805435814a94716e189cf66f6e.jpg

Hard for me to view your book and my book as the same grade.  Grader notes reflect "light spine stress lines" and "moderate creasing" to front cover (?).  You can't see it in the picture because it does not exist. They must have fired that grader.  Nicest 7.0 white in existence.

I'll buy 7.0 Disneys like that all day long! That's drop dead gorgeous and yet another reason I don't play this grading game!

26 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:
28 minutes ago, szav said:

I think the 9.6 PL 17 might finish the highest of the round 1 promise  books but who knows with the AA61 or Tec 140.

I agree. The PL 17 will finish highest.

I believe it's going to be a toss up between the PL 17 and the AA 61, and I guess only time will tell who's going to take the crown in the end. :popcorn: :taptaptap:

I suspect it might just be PL 17 due to the presence of a CGC 9.8 graded copy of AA 61 out there in some lucky person's private collection.  :cloud9:

Then again, we have seen other HG copies of PL 17 in the marketplace recently, whereas the highest graded copy of AA 61 to come to public market so far has only been a couple of CGC 7.5 graded copies as far as I can tell.  hm  (shrug)

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

I believe it's going to be a toss up between the PL 17 and the AA 61, and I guess only time will tell who's going to take the crown in the end. :popcorn: :taptaptap:

I suspect it might just be PL 17 due to the presence of a CGC 9.8 graded copy of AA 61 out there in some lucky person's private collection.  :cloud9:

Then again, we have seen other HG copies of PL 17 in the marketplace recently, whereas the highest graded copy of AA 61 to come to public market so far has only been a couple of CGC 7.5 graded copies as far as I can tell.  hm  (shrug)

I agree with that, it is going to see how this bidding is going shape the future of other Promise auctions, still I think there will be one or two books which get "lost' for someone wanting to get a book or two at a reasonable price, When we are about empty say at 4800 promise books sold, the panic of getting left out will probably take the last books to a very high price level. Buy the book you want when it becomes available sooner rather than later.

7 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Yes always, even their weeklies get livestreamed 

I've followed their weekly Sunday auctions buy they've always been digital- never seen one with real people.  

53 minutes ago, Black Bat said:

Does heritage live stream their floor session auctions- the real question being can I watch live bidding of the promise collection auction?

I agree that the panic over being left out will affect this auction—but it won't last into auctions where the books are resold. Some books may be locked away in permanent collections, but others will be re-sold at a loss. It always happens with over-hyped auctions.