• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

On 7/24/2021 at 2:11 AM, Dr. Love said:

Seifort may not know the grades on the Bats, but I do.  

Batman 1 2.0 CR-OW
Batman 2 2.0 CR-OW
Batman 3 4.0 OW

The article said Junie read every single book, so I’m puzzled why these are lower grade, relative to the rest of his collection. Maybe it was his relatively younger age at the beginning, and his handling was a bit more careless 

On 7/24/2021 at 7:42 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

The article said Junie read every single book, so I’m puzzled why these are lower grade, relative to the rest of his collection. Maybe it was his relatively younger age at the beginning, and his handling was a bit more careless 

I'm sure this is the reason.  When he started buying comics, he treated them like the average kid did.  Then the OCD took over.

On 7/24/2021 at 2:48 PM, lou_fine said:

Would you be speaking from personal experience here?  :bigsmile:

OCD is a real problem amongst collectors. I remember when the new CGG labels came out, some collectors sent in all of their old-label books to be re-holdered because they wanted the labels to match.

I can't claim to be completely immune. I've passed on books that were on my want list because they were in magazine holders.

I've heard that some collectors have OCD so severe that they have to include emoticons in every post. :baiting:

From looking at the staple area here, is this another example of a book that had been carefully and beautifully preserved for some 75+ long years, only to be brutalized and badly damaged by the newbies working at minimum wage over at CCS once they managed to get their big fat 10 blundering thumbs  :devil: onto this book for only a few short, but shall we say rather "impactful" minutes:  :mad:  :censored:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/star-spangled-comics-34-the-promise-collection-pedigree-dc-1944-cgc-vf-85-white-pages/a/122130-17833.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515#

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F4%2F1%2F3%2F24413289%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

On 7/25/2021 at 7:40 PM, lou_fine said:

From looking at the staple area here, is this another example of a book that had been carefully and beautifully preserved for some 75+ long years, only to be brutalized and badly damaged by the newbies working at minimum wage over at CCS once they managed to get their big fat 10 blundering thumbs  :devil: onto this book for only a few short, but shall we say rather "impactful" minutes:  :mad:  :censored:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/star-spangled-comics-34-the-promise-collection-pedigree-dc-1944-cgc-vf-85-white-pages/a/122130-17833.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515#

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F4%2F1%2F3%2F24413289%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

There should be some caution in assuming all recessed staples are a result of being smashed, there are other variables involved: there may be some slight play in the staple area, various pressure on the book may cause the cover shift slightly, and one may be surprised to hear this but CGC might not always situate the comic in it's optimal position in the inner well(gasp!).

I say this as I hold a book that I am 99.9% certain has not been pressed and even the slight pressure of thin cardboard backdrop while scanning caused a slight shift which made the book appear to have a recessed staple look.  The above example may be a result of pressing, but there is a possibility it may not.

I was surfing the current Promise copies listed on Heritage last night and noticed something rather interesting.

The following two books have distributor marks that look oddly alike. Both done in pencil, in the same location, and appear to be from the same hand. However, one is coded with a "K" and the other and "L" over the day and month.

Any ideas as to what the meaning may be?

24507918]&call=url[file:product.chain]24557726]&call=url[file:product.chain]

On 8/10/2021 at 3:56 PM, MasterChief said:

Both done in pencil, in the same location, and appear to be from the same hand.

Different hands.  Look at the "4".  (Although, worth noting some Promise books have a "c" on them and what you are calling an "L" could be a "c").

Perhaps the letter is a code that denotes the recipient store or distributor?  

Edited by sfcityduck

On 8/10/2021 at 6:01 PM, sfcityduck said:

Different hands.  Look at the "4".  (Although, worth noting some Promise books have a "c" on them and what you are calling an "L" could be a "c").

Perhaps the letter is a code that denotes the recipient store or distributor?  

I see the similarities too, but I gotta agree the “4” is pretty different. I’ve worked with a ton of handwriting forensic guys and they would say not a match

On 4/18/2021 at 11:27 AM, Mmehdy said:

It depends on what you call Original Owner... I was referring to a "Billy Wright" type collection, one that was purchased off the newsstand...There could be several OO SA collections still out there . If OO is referring to a original collector such as the "dentist"...there are hundreds of them. There is more and better material still not graded than is. If this is a new 5000 book collection "billy wright" style...and well then this will be the last one ever discovered for GA material in that quantity.

May be the last one.  I mean, 5000+ Is large.  But I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s another one out there.  We’re getting close to that generation dying off, and the value of comics is so readily available now, one would think none would fall through the cracks. But we didn’t expect this one.  If an original collector was say 9 years old in 1940, they’d be 90 if alive today.

How many true Golden Age pedigrees remaining? I’d guess there’s 1 more waiting to be discovered.  The amount of expertise lingering on the boards is impressive.  And there are plenty of folks that have a good idea what’s out there.  But of all of their knowledge and wisdom, that is something that no one knows for sure.  Or at least it’s like God or Aliens.  Can’t prove a negative.  I’m certain that no one knows with certainty that there are none remaining.  I guess we’ll just wait and see.

On 8/23/2021 at 5:55 PM, lou_fine said:

Hate to say it, but from your scanned image here, the only thing more surprising is that this book here did not receive a grade of CGC 5.5, as opposed to this seemingly and hugely overgraded CGC 8.5 which it managed to scored here.  :fear:  :sick:

Then again, I assume that must be another production bindery chip at the the top of the spine, along with production stress lines running down the entire spine of the book here, and as such, to be ignored for grading purposes.  :devil:   :censored:

You're right. CGC doesn't downgrade much for production defects like that, especially on Golden Age. But that wear and tear on the top spine doesn't look production related---it looks like an impact crunch. 

But with that said, 5.5 seems a little tough based on what I can see here...  hm

On 8/23/2021 at 6:32 PM, Courageous Cat said:

sorry, but the promise collection is one big fat joke! These are not even slightly overgraded books, but significantly overgraded. Oh I'm sure I'll get slack from the CGC fanboys, but it has to be called out. 

Call 'em like you see 'em...  :whistle: