• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

On 8/23/2021 at 5:32 PM, Courageous Cat said:

Oh I'm sure I'll get slack from the CGC fanboys...

We will protect you from those crazed hooligans.

On 8/23/2021 at 9:11 PM, MattTheDuck said:

The good news is that we can now all re-slab our 6.0s and above and they'll come back 10.0s!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news here, but they will need to average their grades out in order to look like a grading company that knows what they are doing when it comes to grading.  :gossip:

As a result, your 6.0 grade worthy books will now need to come back as CGC 2.0 graded copies in order to make everything look copacetic for CGC as a whole. :devil:  lol

On 8/24/2021 at 12:35 PM, MattTheDuck said:

It will be interesting to see if there are buyers of these issues at these grades in the future.  Is the trust inherent in the slabbing system blind, or will "buy the book, not the grade" win out over time?

Once the promise collection is sold out, then the real prices begin, this pedigree will have way more demand than supply and prices will go up from there.

On 8/23/2021 at 3:17 PM, The Lions Den said:

You're right. CGC doesn't downgrade much for production defects like that, especially on Golden Age. But that wear and tear on the top spine doesn't look production related---it looks like an impact crunch. 

But with that said, 5.5 seems a little tough based on what I can see here...  hm

Although one can never really be sure about the condition grade of a book without actually having it in hand, based simply upon the visual cover scans only, I would tend to say that this CGC 8.5 graded copy of Gangsters Can't Win #2 here which they auctioned off for $10,800 this past weekend:  :p  :screwy:

54D047AB-E75F-4D79-8C11-DA2049BA574D.jpeg

sure looks a whole heck of a lot closer in condition to this CGC 5.0 graded copy of Gangsters Can't Win #2 which Heritage auctioned off for only $1,560 in one of their earlier Sunday auctions only a few short weeks ago:  (thumbsu

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/gangsters-can-t-win-2-ds-publishing-1948-cgc-vg-fn-50-off-white-pages/a/122130-17506.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515#

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F4%2F1%2F2%2F24412340%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

as compared to this equivalent non-Heritage submitted CGC 8.5 graded copy of a GA File Copy book from the late 1930's which I had posted in another thread here for strict visual comparison purposes: :luhv:  :takeit:

cra2.217.jpg

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/24/2021 at 11:52 PM, lou_fine said:

Although one can never really be sure about the condition grade of a book without actually having it in hand, based simply upon the visual cover scans only, I would tend to say that this CGC 8.5 graded copy of Gangsters Can't Win #2 here which they auctioned off for $10,800 this past weekend:  :p  :screwy:

sure looks a whole heck of a lot closer in condition to this CGC 5.0 graded copy of Gangsters Can't Win #2 which Heritage auctioned off for only $1,560 in one of their earlier Sunday auctions only a few short weeks ago:  (thumbsu

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/gangsters-can-t-win-2-ds-publishing-1948-cgc-vg-fn-50-off-white-pages/a/122130-17506.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515#

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F4%2F1%2F2%2F24412340%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

as compared to this equivalent non-Heritage submitted CGC 8.5 graded copy of a GA File Copy book from the late 1930's which I had posted in another thread here for strict visual comparison purposes: :luhv:  :takeit:

cra2.217.jpg

Yes. By comparison, the Gangsters can't win appears to be comparable to this typical 6.5:

0201171150431.jpg

and significantly lower in grade than this typical 8.5:

1811200740071.jpg

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 8/24/2021 at 1:02 PM, Mmehdy said:
On 8/24/2021 at 12:35 PM, MattTheDuck said:

It will be interesting to see if there are buyers of these issues at these grades in the future.  Is the trust inherent in the slabbing system blind, or will "buy the book, not the grade" win out over time?

Once the promise collection is sold out, then the real prices begin, this pedigree will have way more demand than supply and prices will go up from there.

Hey Mitch;

Absolutely love your unbridled and unabashed enthusiasm for this Promise Collection pedigree set of books here.  :applause:

My question is just how confident are you that the nosebleed prices for these books here will continue to rocket up into the stratosphere faster than the speed of light?  Especially since I believe you also had the same sentiment when the Billy Wright Collection first came out on Heritage back at the start of 2012.  If I remember correctly, most of those books ended up being resold at substantially lower prices when some of the buyers tried to flipped them out too soon.  :tonofbricks:

Or are you simply assuming that Jimmy boy will still be out there continuing to drive up the prices of these books here through his own Heritage platform, as so many of us here have speculated already, based upon his long and shall we say rather infamous track history in the coin market before transferring his "expertise" into comics with both CCG in 2000 and Heritage in 2002, and now wanting to use the same game plan with WATA and video games:  :devil:

Don't you love the games people play, and especially the part at the 25-minute mark where he explains how Jimmy boy plied his craft in the comic book market which we on the boards here kind of suspected anyways.  Makes me wonder if he got a little too greedy and overplayed his hand a bit here once he got his grubby mitts on the Promise books in terms of some of the Mr. Magoo-like grades we've seen on some of the Promise Collection books here and also some of the almost wacky out of this universe prices that we saw for some of the not so rare books (which he probably has in quantity) in the last Heritage auction in a seeming attempt to climb multiple rungs on his never-ending ladder of greed in one step.  hm  :devil:

All I can say is that I hope he's still out there right at the top of his game when it comes time for me to dispose of some of the books from my long held collection here.  :flipbait:   lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/24/2021 at 9:52 PM, lou_fine said:

cra2.217.jpg

Dude, it has a mouse trap on the cover.  How can you expect any book with a mouse trap on the cover to grade higher than an 8.5?

:insane:

On 8/25/2021 at 9:46 AM, lou_fine said:

Hey Mitch;

Absolutely love your unbridled and unabashed enthusiasm for this Promise Collection pedigree set of books here.  :applause:

My question is just how confident are you that the nosebleed prices for these books here will continue to rocket up into the stratosphere faster than the speed of light?  Especially since I believe you also had the same sentiment when the Billy Wright Collection first came out on Heritage back at the start of 2012.  If I remember correctly, most of those books ended up being resold at substantially lower prices when some of the buyers tried to flipped them out too soon.  :tonofbricks:

Or are you simply assuming that Jimmy boy will still be out there continuing to drive up the prices of these books here through his own Heritage platform, as so many of us here have speculated already, based upon his long and shall we say rather infamous track history in the coin market before transferring his "expertise" into comics with both CCG in 2000 and Heritage in 2002, and now wanting to use the same game plan with WATA and video games:  :devil:

Don't you love the games people play, and especially the part at the 25-minute mark where he explains how Jimmy boy plied his craft in the comic book market which we on the boards here kind of suspected anyways.  Makes me wonder if he got a little too greedy and overplayed his hand a bit here once he got his grubby mitts on the Promise books in terms of some of the Mr. Magoo-like grades we've seen on some of the Promise Collection books here and also some of the almost wacky out of this universe prices that we saw for some of the not so rare books (which he probably has in quantity) in the last Heritage auction in a seeming attempt to climb multiple rungs on his ladder in one step.  hm  :devil:

All I can say is that I hope he's still out there right at the top of his game when it comes time for me to dispose of some of the books from my long held collection here.  :flipbait:   lol

I think everyone on the planet would like to buy the Billy Wright Action #1, at the auction price. Billy's quick resale books were as a result of the I think the Tando corp and the employee that was using company funds to buy comics from HA and a forced resale.. I think any quick resale Promise or not will incur costs. If you read my posts you will note I said to buy promise books if you can hold them 2/3 even 5 years.. At that point when no more OO GA collections especially over 5000 books are released, the market will adjust and catch its breath and then begin to move up...Short of this is you need to wait during the market pause to absorb the price and sell in the upswing which will occur to these promise books.

True market price or price reality of the value of any stock, house, or promise book only occurs when you SELL not when you hold. If you want to sell anything, then golden rule is "timing".

Edited by Mmehdy

On 8/25/2021 at 3:07 PM, Mmehdy said:

I think everyone on the planet would like to buy the Billy Wright Action #1, at the auction price. Billy's quick resale books were as a result of the I think the Tando corp and the employee that was using company funds to buy comics from HA and a forced resale.. I think any quick resale Promise or not will incur costs. If you read my posts you will note I said to buy promise books if you can hold them 2/3 even 5 years.. At that point when no more OO GA collections especially over 5000 books are released, the market will adjust and catch its breath and then begin to move up...Short of this is you need to wait during the market pause to absorb the price and sell in the upswing which will occur to these promise books.

True market price or price reality of the value of any stock, house, or promise book only occurs when you SELL not when you hold. If you want to sell anything, then golden rule is "timing".

You're right about timing. The thing is, you have a unique situation right now where people's cabin fever has been building for nearly 18 months and they're spending like crazy in order to de-stress. The time to sell the Promise books is NOW, but Heritage is the only one doing that. 

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 8/23/2021 at 4:55 PM, lou_fine said:

Hate to say it, but from your scanned image here, the only thing more surprising is that this book here did not receive a grade of CGC 5.5, as opposed to this seemingly and hugely overgraded CGC 8.5 which it managed to scored here.  :fear:  :sick:

Then again, I assume that must be another production bindery chip at the the top of the spine, along with production stress lines running down the entire spine of the book here, and as such, to be ignored for grading purposes.  :devil:   :censored:

i lol’d at that!   

On 8/25/2021 at 12:46 PM, lou_fine said:

Makes me wonder if he got a little too greedy and overplayed his hand a bit here once he got his grubby mitts on the Promise books in terms of some of the Mr. Magoo-like grades we've seen on some of the Promise Collection books here and also some of the almost wacky out of this universe prices that we saw for some of the not so rare books (which he probably has in quantity) in the last Heritage auction in a seeming attempt to climb multiple rungs on his never-ending ladder of greed in one step.  hm  :devil:

I do admire your unbridled enthusiasm...  

On 8/24/2021 at 11:52 PM, lou_fine said:

cra2.217.jpg

I appreciate the visual evidence, but CGC has always based their final grade on the condition of the entire book, not just the front cover. But I must admit, I do enjoy your posts on this subject---they're entertaining. And I agree with you about the condition issues you've pointed out. It really does make a strong case for the "buy the book, not the grade" strategy...  (thumbsu