• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

On 11/6/2021 at 9:33 AM, Timely said:

What if we found out the story was 100% made up and completely false? Would it negate the value of the comic? You still have a fresh 9.6 book? That aspect hasn’t changed!

Everybody loves a good story, but what is a story worth? After all, it’s only a story! Sometimes the comics speak for themselves. Sometimes that’s enough. A story isn’t needed or required to sell the comics.

If the story turns out to be a whopper it negates the reason for purchasing books from that collection at a premium.  A good story isn't required to sell, although the better the story the more intriguing the pedigree and higher the value placed on it.  The elephant in the room is always going to be the grade and how that's perceived.  Regardless of the pedigree status higher/highest grades are unlikely to be cracked out, much less contested.  In the long run, whether a book is a fresh 9.6 or fresh something else reflects on the integrity of the grading process.  That's why high graded GA should be rare and look the part in every way. 

On 11/6/2021 at 3:58 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

For me, the Okajima story is good, but not good enough to make up for the writing on the cover. I may be one of the only collectors who would rather have a NON-camp example for my collection.

The internment camp story is unique and a real attention grabber for some pedigree collectors given the portrayal of Japanese in WWII era comics.  I also get where you're coming from preferring books with less writing on the cover.

On 4/9/2022 at 10:01 PM, tth2 said:

How time flies when you're having fun!

It's hard to believe it's been almost a year since Gary first broke the news about the Promise collection in the GA Forum.

True, it's been a year since everyone's been going broke after the Promise Collection news! 

It'll end up being about a year of steady selling in Signature auctions and weekly auctions to sell all of the Promise books (I believe this was the last Signature auction to feature first-time Promises, any others going forward in Signatures will be re-sales). 

Can you imagine what it would be like to sell the much larger Church collection if it was being brought to market now?!  It'd probably be a 3- or 4-year exercise.  

On 4/10/2022 at 7:55 PM, tth2 said:

It'll end up being about a year of steady selling in Signature auctions and weekly auctions to sell all of the Promise books (I believe this was the last Signature auction to feature first-time Promises, any others going forward in Signatures will be re-sales). 

Can you imagine what it would be like to sell the much larger Church collection if it was being brought to market now?!  It'd probably be a 3- or 4-year exercise.  

And how much would the entire collection add up to after all books sold in today's market :whatthe::whatthe::flipbait:

Everyone would be living in Broke Back Mountain if that were the case lol