• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just bought the grossest, most disgusting collection
6 6

171 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Purchased as a lot from a boardie many years ago - The mothball smell was so bad it tainted nearby boxes.

I interleaved them with micro-chamber paper, and put them in a box with cat litter with no results. I then put them in micro-chamber trimmings for years. 

Luckily, I had the Covid, so I can't smell them any more. At Jimmers direction, I threw a few dryer sheets in the box a couple weeks ago.

image.png.8d4640d1d014ab1b785b42653c975744.png

I probably should have thrown these books out, but I'm glad I didn't, as there are some gems in that there stinky Charlton box.

I had some mildewy westerns a few years back. I placed a tupperware container in the center of a storage tote and then stacked the comics on top of the container to elevate them, surrounded the container with a moat of baking soda and then put the lid on the tote and left the comics for a month. Cracked open the tote and the mildewy odor was gone! 

It's also refreshing to see a thread where "stinky Charltons" refers to their actual odor and not the writing and art.

Please use gloves, and please whatever you do, don't use Fabreze. There is nothing worse than books that smell (especially from cigarettes) that now have 2 smells...

Looks like fun, as long as you do this project outside, I'm with your wife!

1 hour ago, Black_Adam said:

I had some mildewy westerns a few years back. I placed a tupperware container in the center of a storage tote and then stacked the comics on top of the container to elevate them, surrounded the container with a moat of baking soda and then put the lid on the tote and left the comics for a month. Cracked open the tote and the mildewy odor was gone! 

It's also refreshing to see a thread where "stinky Charltons" refers to their actual odor and not the writing and art.

the term "stinky Charltons" is very inclusive. :) 

8 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Got the whole Weapon X series from Marvel Comics Presents.  The 72 has the "color loss" on the free edge.  Is that a manufacturing defect?  I've noticed about 1 in 5 copies have the exact same defect.

IMG_5069.jpeg

I couldn't find any examples of graded copies with that defect, so I'm not sure how CGC will treat it, but I can definitely confirm that it's production related, and that there is a nontrivial percentage of the book's run that looks exactly like that.

6 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

I couldn't find any examples of graded copies with that defect, so I'm not sure how CGC will treat it, but I can definitely confirm that it's production related, and that there is a nontrivial percentage of the book's run that looks exactly like that.

This CGC 9.6 has it to a smaller extent.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Comics-Marvel-Comics-Presents-72-Origin-of-Weapon-X-CGC-9-6-NM-/203326137405?hash=item2f572ea43d%3Ag%3AZpQAAOSwG95gYkTZ&nma=true&si=LKlgAEw5%2B92i9SJNFUVTl%2FOmp%2Fs%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Edited by gadzukes

21 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Got the whole Weapon X series from Marvel Comics Presents.  The 72 has the "color loss" on the free edge.  Is that a manufacturing defect?  I've noticed about 1 in 5 copies have the exact same defect.

IMG_5069.jpeg

FullSizeRender-43.jpeg

Are these worth the hassel though? the books arent worth sending in unless you get 9.8