• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just bought the grossest, most disgusting collection
6 6

171 posts in this topic

On 2/25/2022 at 10:37 PM, gadzukes said:

I know this is small potatoes (to some of you) in the grand scheme of things and some of you may think "NOT WORTH IT"

Sort of depends on if you do it for your day job or if it's just a hobby.  I've flipped a couple small collections just because I wanted some books from them myself.  After a bunch of work, I just ended up barely breaking even (while keeping the books I wanted for free).  On a dollar-per-hour basis, it wasn't worth it at all.  But it was fun and making any money at all out of a hobby made me feel pretty good.  (Course, I didn't have to deal with cat pee-encrusted hoarder filth, but still.)

On 2/26/2022 at 5:41 PM, Drake Dragoon said:

Does CGC downgrade for smelly comics? (shrug)???:foryou:

They can and will, I'm sure it matters the severity, and other issues or defects factored in to the grade. .... just as to how far the smell knocks it

On 2/26/2022 at 6:54 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

They can and will, I'm sure it matters the severity, and other issues or defects factored in to the grade. .... just as to how far the smell knocks it

Not confirmed, as far as I am concerned.  I have sent in stinky books before that did not get any reduction that I could tell and that did not come up with grader notes.  I have also never seen odor listed in grader notes, though others claim to have seen them (though they didn't provide cgc #s to verify).  At the very least, odors that would be capable of making it into notes are exceedingly rare.  And, by the way, just because something is in the grader notes does not necessarily mean it actually hurt the grade--sometimes notes pop up on 9.8s. 

Now I can hypothetically see how some odors might effect the grade, like cigarettes, but that is more because strong cigarette smells can create tangible effects--anyone who has worked on a computer or car or house of a chain smoker knows this.  So it's not really just a "smell" in that case.  On the other hand, I would be willing to bet that if you had a book that smelled very strongly of, say, perfume or elderberries, you would not get any sort of reduction.  

I'd love to see some tangible examples to the contrary--ie, I don't care if someone "heard from a friend that they reduce for odors" or "have seen some notes on odors sometime in the past."  Let's see some cgc #s for books which look like they got a reduction for smell.  Like a 9.2-9.4 where the only note is about an odor.  I've certainly never seen an example like that.  In any case, I'd say it's a near certainty that smell will not be a factor the vast, vast majority of the time.

On 2/26/2022 at 6:29 PM, Poekaymon said:

Not confirmed, as far as I am concerned.  I have sent in stinky books before that did not get any reduction that I could tell and that did not come up with grader notes.  I have also never seen odor listed in grader notes, though others claim to have seen them (though they didn't provide cgc #s to verify).  At the very least, odors that would be capable of making it into notes are exceedingly rare.  And, by the way, just because something is in the grader notes does not necessarily mean it actually hurt the grade--sometimes notes pop up on 9.8s. 

Now I can hypothetically see how some odors might effect the grade, like cigarettes, but that is more because strong cigarette smells can create tangible effects--anyone who has worked on a computer or car or house of a chain smoker knows this.  So it's not really just a "smell" in that case.  On the other hand, I would be willing to bet that if you had a book that smelled very strongly of, say, perfume or elderberries, you would not get any sort of reduction.  

I'd love to see some tangible examples to the contrary--ie, I don't care if someone "heard from a friend that they reduce for odors" or "have seen some notes on odors sometime in the past."  Let's see some cgc #s for books which look like they got a reduction for smell.  Like a 9.2-9.4 where the only note is about an odor.  I've certainly never seen an example like that.  In any case, I'd say it's a near certainty that smell will not be a factor the vast, vast majority of the time.

I've seen cgc videos where the head grader said so, I'd have to revisit their YouTube channel to confirm but I've seen concrete evedince. I'd have to find it. (thumbsu

On 2/26/2022 at 7:33 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I've seen cgc videos where the head grader said so, I'd have to revisit their YouTube channel to confirm but I've seen concrete evedince. I'd have to find it. (thumbsu

I attempted to stave off this sort of response by asking for something verifiable--if you find the time to report back with the link please do so, sounds like an interesting video. Regardless, given their internal inconsistency, the extreme rarity of odors showing up in notes, and my own experience with smelly books, I'd still say the chances of it ever being a factor are very, very slim. 

On 2/26/2022 at 6:39 PM, Poekaymon said:

I attempted to stave off this sort of response by asking for something verifiable--if you find the time to report back with the link please do so, sounds like an interesting video. Regardless, given their internal inconsistency, the extreme rarity of odors showing up in notes, and my own experience with smelly books, I'd still say the chances of it ever being a factor are very, very slim. 

I understand . I thought where I clarified that mixed with other defects that I didnt know how far it would degrade would suffice.

If the question is do they consider it? then it's a definite yes is all I'm saying. I'm not sure how you read that, I cant clarify any further as to what I remember. Whether it has to be a major factor? Enough to get a qualified label? I'm not sure, but wasn't really insinuating anything other then they DO notice. How far it's taken into account is anyone's guess.

Sorry to offend :)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM